WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It is rather ironic that you are the one taking things literally, when it is not neccessary to do so.

p.s. Thanks Alligator. Metaphor received. Out.
    OK - that makes two words I'm pretty sure you dont know the meaning of: metaphor and ironic. Again, no hard feelings - I really was trying my best to understand your point - I agree the fault is entirely mine.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

If you want to continue this, you should PM me.

Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

without [Red Sox and NY Yankees ] the playoffs just wouldnt be the same.
    ...and on the seventh day...he rested...and then he said "Play Ball!"

Default Crab puff

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post

Rob Lowe " Im just gonna take a crab puff"

HAHAHA best line of the whole clip!

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    The weather has been getting a lot nicer the past week hasn't it? The snow is melting the birds are singing...only you can know the what the weather will be like in your own neck of the woods.
    Sorry Gator. It's pouring down rain here right now. If it gets nice again I'll go out side and play
    Now where was I? Oh that's right. I'm right. Everybody else is wrong.Nanner nanner nanner.

When I saw this article link pop up late last night, all I could think was "Oh boy, this could get interesting!"
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Consider for example, the Book of Ruth.
    I grew up with a grandfather who was an avid Red Sox fan. Until 2004, we did not talk about the Book of Ruth among my Rhode Island peers. My friends from New York on the other hand were really into the Book of Ruth.
    Last edited by Mags; 03-11-2010 at 16:49.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

Why are people bringing Levitical laws into this discussion? The Old Testament and New Testament are also referred to as Old and New Covenant. In the New Covenant, God implemented just that.. and new covenant between God and man. We are no longer bound by these laws. I agree with DrRichardCranium, when he mentioned the culture of the age, and our culture today. Old Testament Jewish culture is much different than it is today, and so is the way the God communicates and allows us to draw near to Him. God does not change, but the times do.

Until 2004, we did not talk about the Book of Ruth --Mags
    LOL. Laughing out loud (message too short!)

Quote Originally Posted by whatnowmitch View Post
    Why are people bringing Levitical laws into this discussion? The Old Testament and New Testament are also referred to as Old and New Covenant. In the New Covenant, God implemented just that.. and new covenant between God and man. We are no longer bound by these laws. I agree with DrRichardCranium, when he mentioned the culture of the age, and our culture today. Old Testament Jewish culture is much different than it is today, and so is the way the God communicates and allows us to draw near to Him. God does not change, but the times do.
    Nicely put. That was the point I was trying to make, but more generally. It hasn't really stopped people from doing nasty things to each other, but that doesn't mean you are wrong in what you are saying. People will always find excuses to do nasty things to one another, for one reason or another, with religion, or without. I seem to have a way of putting such things in such a way as to offend everyone. I think only a few people would be offended the way you and DrRichardCranium put it. Nicely done. It doesn't ever get better than that.

The weather here has been totally awesome for the past week.

Gotta question though, if you don't mind. I've never really thought about it much, and I think you would answer it better than me anyhow. There might be more than one good answer. Mine would likely be to abstract and generalized, or wrong.

Why do Christians still have the Book of Leviticus, and other such books of the Old Testiment, if we are no longer bound by their laws?

See now there I go. I can't even ask a question.
    Just to be clear up front, I am not implying that we are bound by the old laws.

extra-ordinary hiker Roughin' It's Avatar

well, to answer that question briefly, I recommend reading Galatians 3:19-25ish

You might not feel these verses exactly answer your question, but I feel that it states the point that the "law" (whether that be just 10 commandments or all God ordained laws) was given to expose sin. plain and simple. Understanding books of the OT are very important as you delve into the beauty of the NT. It makes it much easier to appreciate and thank the Lord for what He has done, knowing the history of what the people of God went through, and so that we, as the new Israel of God, can live on in faithfulness and freedom.

I could go on, but I won't

Very good. Thanks, and nicely put.
    I'll be sure and read the reference.
    Good day sir.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring"--Carl Sagan. Just trying to keep the conversation balanced.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring"--Carl Sagan. Just trying to keep the conversation balanced.
    I believe in God, and I agree with that statement.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

Default Thank you

I really do love circular conversation! thank you to all who have shared their oppinions. this has been a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    I believe in God, and I agree with that statement.
    Then you might agree with this one also. "God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." --Voltaire

That is very true, and not neccessarily mutually exclusive from religion, or at least spirituality. Then again, what appears as truth and spirituality isn't rarely mutually exclusive from delusion either. Catch22. It is safer in some ways to avoid religion and just observe nature, both in finding truth, and spirituality. Risky too perhaps. I do think even religious people should spend more time in nature than in church though. I also think scientists should spend as more time in nature than in labs and research facilities.

I wonder if Carl Sagan was a hiker? I'll bet he was.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++