WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It makes sense in a left-handed kind of way.

I *think* it's saying that rocks have a 60 million year gestational period and were actually "born" 6 thousand years ago.
    When Adam was created, was he 1 day old, or 30 years? His body analysis says years.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I see no reason for animosity toward these people. They're just trying to live up to what they view as their purpose in life.

I've never met a proslytizer that wouldn't stop when I made it clear that I wasn't interested. "Look, I appreciate your passion. I am also passionate in my faith, but I feel that it is a personal thing between me and God and am not interested in debating or discussing in it. How 'bout them Braves?

Walking away works too, and even telling people to shut up if they don't stop. there's nothing wrong with being rude in return for disrespect of your views. Some would say "I shouldn't have to." That's not the case in the real world, the same goes for anyone who won't **** about their passion, whether it be gear or sports or politics or religion.

Mag's example of defacing the sign is disgraceful. The person who did that showed their hypocricy by using destruction to "spread the word."
    I have no animosity towards people and what they choose to believe as I have said. The problem arises when people try to push their beliefs on others. I did not work with the crusades and it does not work today. You want to build relationships and friendships and have discussions about God that is fine. Going out en mass to convert unsuspecting hikers to your belief system? Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    When Adam was created, was he 1 day old, or 30 years? His body analysis says years.
    I hope you are just trying to pull peoples legs here. Adams body analysis? Um please tell me where Adams body is being kept and when this analysis was done and by whom. This is certainly news to me.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    I hope you are just trying to pull peoples legs here. Adams body analysis? Um please tell me where Adams body is being kept and when this analysis was done and by whom. This is certainly news to me.
    no, it's in those fairy tales you refer. Just trying to explain my left handed logic. Hey, quit trying to push your disbelief on me!

no, it's in those fairy tales you refer. Just trying to explain my left handed logic. Hey, quit trying to push your disbelief on me!
    The topic was brought up and we are just talkin'. You are free to say what you wish, as am I, and we can each choose whether or not we want to read the posts or not and if whether or not we wish to respond. No hard feelings. As long as we are talking about Adam though, Adam was given free will. It was his choice to eat the apple that the talking snake convinced Eve to eat right? God is omnipotent and omniscient. All powerful and all knowing right? My question is if everything that ever was, is or will be is already known by God, how then can our choices by made freely? The outcome is already determined. It is a paradox and a very fatalistic view if you ask me.

Images

Its unbelievable what unbelievers have to believe to be unbelievers.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    Ditto for believers.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

This thread is reason enough to hike the BMT and stay away from the shelter weenies.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    This thread is reason enough to hike the BMT and stay away from the shelter weenies.
    So true.

1234567890-
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    I know it. Snakes do not talk. The world is millions of years old. Not thousands. 2 of every animal surviving on a boat for over a month. A guy surviving inside a fish for 3 days. If you subscribe to any other belief system, religious or not, you are automatically damned for eternity. Every person who ever existed was a born sinner. Except for 1 of course. Virgin births. Rising from the dead. All these things and more are so plainly obvious and believable. I just don't see how people can go through their lives and nat accept them as obvious truth.

2010 complete

For me (and that's the beauty of it; therefore, not up for debate), I started the AT as an unbeliever and ended as a believer. It started out as a wish to die; and ended as a wish to live. I can't say that my belief came from anyone that I met on the trail such as this article states, but from God. I particularly like the scripture Romans 1:20
    "For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse"

As far as a timeline, rocks can be 6 million yrs old when created. Man was not created as a baby. His body was aged on day one of his creation.
    True, but for that matter, the entire universe may have been created just 5 minutes ago, with all our memories intact, more or less. It is an interesting thought. But so is creation unfolding as it has, and is, over 4.5 billion years, and counting. Must take great patience to be such a creator, especially when you have the power to just start over, at any instant.

will you elaborate on this a bit more.
    I could, or you could just go for a walk in the woods, and hear it for yourself.

p.s. I did follow up what you quoted with some balance in your favour.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

It is actually only a minority of Christians who believe in "Young Earth Creationism" . Many mainstream Protestants as well as Catholics have no problem with the theory of evolution or other scientific explanations of the physical world.

After all, what is so offensive about the idea that God, in his wisdom, created a system that works?
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I see no reason for animosity toward these people. They're just trying to live up to what they view as their purpose in life.

I've never met a proslytizer that wouldn't stop when I made it clear that I wasn't interested. "Look, I appreciate your passion. I am also passionate in my faith, but I feel that it is a personal thing between me and God and am not interested in debating or discussing in it. How 'bout them Braves?

Walking away works too, and even telling people to shut up if they don't stop. there's nothing wrong with being rude in return for disrespect of your views. Some would say "I shouldn't have to." That's not the case in the real world, the same goes for anyone who won't **** about their passion, whether it be gear or sports or politics or religion.

Mag's example of defacing the sign is disgraceful. The person who did that showed their hypocricy by using destruction to "spread the word."
    Well said. People should be as free to talk about one thing as another in shelters, as long as they are willing to stop when people get annoyed. Religous people are not the only ones that have trouble being annoy, and not stopping. I sure as hell know that. lol

If anyone tries to 'witness' that Bronze Age crap to me while I'm on the trail I will politely ask them to sod off.

Seriously. Taking your rebellious son to the edge of town and stoning him to death? That's OK with you?
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    It is actually only a minority of Christians who believe in "Young Earth Creationism" . Many mainstream Protestants as well as Catholics have no problem with the theory of evolution or other scientific explanations of the physical world.

After all, what is so offensive about the idea that God, in his wisdom, created a system that works?
    Right on - not all Christians are fundamentalists.

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post

Well said. There will always be grey areas of faith concerning what is literal and what is metaphorical.

As an interesting anecdote, the Church scholars did not argue against Columbus that the Earth was Flat. The Church scolars simply maintained that the earth was larger in diameter than Columbus contended it was. As it turned out, the Church scholars were correct, in there reassertion of the calculations of the ancient Greek scholars from centuries before. Columbus was just bending the truth in order to get some funding for his project. As it turned out, he got his funding, and rediscovered America.

The idea that the Church scholars thought the earth was flat wasn't concocted until the 19th century, as part of the whole science vs religious faith business. Dogma vs free thinking is an old game though, as is the myth of infalibility of authority, but these games are certainly not limited to matters of religion, and they are quite separate from spiritual faith and free thinking.

People should be better able to juggle two thoughts and walk at the same time. We would all be much better off.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    If anyone tries to 'witness' that Bronze Age crap to me while I'm on the trail I will politely ask them to sod off.

Seriously. Taking your rebellious son to the edge of town and stoning him to death? That's OK with you?
    They'll stone you when you're trying to be so good
    They'll stone you just like they said they would
    They'll stone you when you're trying to go home
    They'll stone you when you're there all alone
    But I would not feel so all alone
    Everybody must get stoned

They'll stone you when you're walking on the street
    They'll stone you when you're trying to keep your seat
    They'll stone you when your walking on the floor
    They'll stone you when your walking to the door

They'll stone you when you're at the breakfast table
    They'll stone you when you are young and able
    They'll stone you when you're trying to make a buck
    They'll stone you and then they'll say good luck

Well They'll stone you and say that it's the end
    They'll stone you and then they'll come back again
    They'll stone you when you're riding in your car
    They'll stone you when you're playing you guitar
    Yes But I would not feel so all alone
    Alright

Well They'll stone you when you are all alone
    They'll stone you when you are walkinobg home
    They'll stone you and then say they're all brave
    They'll stone you when you're send down in your grave

- Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Right on - not all Christians are fundamentalists.
    All fundamentists are not extremists.
    All extremists are not fundamentalists.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++