WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Exped down sleep mats

We have exped down sleep mats. Has anyone else used these on the AT, and have they lasted the distance? I have had one of them replaced twice under warranty and the other one has been replaced once, so I am a bit nervous about their suitability for such a long walk

Quote Originally Posted by allwen View Post
    We have exped down sleep mats. Has anyone else used these on the AT, and have they lasted the distance? I have had one of them replaced twice under warranty and the other one has been replaced once, so I am a bit nervous about their suitability for such a long walk
    I have an Exped Downmat 9. It's fantastic to carry in winter. After getting used to using the stuff sack to inflate the mat it only takes two minutes for me to have it fully inflated. Using the stuff sack instead of using your lungs to inflate the mat keeps the down nice and dry inside.

It's also the very best thing to sleep on....especially when I'm laying on it for about 12 hours in winter because of the long nights.

I wouldn't need to zip up my sleeping bag most nights because of the warmth from the downmat once my body warmed it up. I would just use my sleeping bag like a quilt in temperatures down to single digits and slept warm and cozy.

I've carried it a couple of winters and never had any problems with the mat, but I'm careful what I set up on.

It's one of my favorite pieces of winter gear, BUT, as much as I love sleeping on that plush 3 1/2 inches of pure comfort, I would never carry it in the other three seasons. It weighs in at two pounds and when you add the needed stuff sack used for pumping it up the total weight is 2 lbs 5 oz.

I use a short torso sized piece of closed cell foam the rest of the year that weighs just 5 oz.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I completely agree, I will not sleep out without mine in the long winter nights. It's too heavy the rest of the year.

Here is a lightweight full length mummy or rectangular pad for three seasons. Can be made yourself.

http://kookabay.com

++ New Posts ++