WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Rain Pants Suggestions

Needing some new rain pants, will be used as 4 season rain pants, but mostly in spring/fall in southern Appalachians. I want something light weight that is compressible to pack for 3-5d hiking trips, but still durable. These will be used almost exclusively for backpacking. Any suggestions? Anyone have experience with Eddie Bauer First Ascent Rainier Storm Shell Pants? Thanks.

I'd recommend none.

Images

Altrec has Mountain Hardwear Cohesion on sale for 80.89. 9 ounces rated 5 stars
    http://www.altrecoutlet.com/pants/ra...ns&facets=true

yeah i saw that deal too, i decided on the marmot precips over those though, read alot of great stuff about the precip line so i went with it. I think they might be on sale on there too. Im sure those MH pants are probably great too considering all i wear for shorts are MH and love em.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
    yeah i saw that deal too, i decided on the marmot precips over those though, read alot of great stuff about the precip line so i went with it. I think they might be on sale on there too. Im sure those MH pants are probably great too considering all i wear for shorts are MH and love em.
    I got the full zip marmots and really like them.

Even if it's not raining and it's just cold and damp, those and a lightweight pair of long underwear are perfect.

Antigravitygear has some excellent rainpaints w/ bottom side zip; like the brand sez, light. Rainjackets, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wrangler View Post
    I like my full zip precip pants but I don't plan to use them in warmer temps anymore (they do breathe pretty well) because I'm going to get a ULA rainskirt.

Images

I got the Golite Reed pants several years ago. They are light and work well. Got the new model last year for the new ankle zips, BUT they also have elastic at the ankles, which funnels water into my shoes. My wife removed the elastic with a little sewing surgery.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I have the Golite Reed pants, too. Nice and light, they fold up real small and fit nicely in the bottom of my pack.

That's where they stay. I've never worn them, and I hike in the rain a lot, but I still carry them. Maybe someday I'll learn.

golite reed best. mine are almost 5 years old torn patched and still loved. moonbow aka big john makes anything you want. hes makeing me new ones based on the reed for 65 bucks. his are even lighter. all his stuff is the best. and hes one of us.he is the zelph of silnon.
    matthewski

++ New Posts ++