WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trail Etiquette

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    I understand the horses, but yield to folks coming uphill? I thought it was the other way. I don't see it as an inconvience when going uphill... just a good excuse for another rest break.

Youngblood

I have always yielded to people going Downhill. For one, they are usually travelling faster and is harder to stop to wait for a slow person to get past them going uphill. They've usually got a stride going and it's hard to put on the breaks. Secondly, it's always nice, while going uphill to stop and rest as you let the downhillers go by. I question that 'yield to uphill climbers'.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Decided to delete my post as I figure it would be better if I sent a message to the person involved.
    Last edited by Glee; 11-25-2004 at 18:56.

Default I wish it would stop..

There are so many issues about how a lot of hikers conduct themselves on or near the trail that volumes could be written about it. I would like to think that a lot of these hikers are one or two nighters, experimenters, and not thru-hikers or thru-hikers at heart. I always try to plan my camp as far away from parking (ie: deep in the woods) as I can. Passed a bunch carrying a king size mattress from a van one time, bet the thing was left somewhere on the trail when they finished. The list is endless of the kinds of things that goes on. I wish it would stop.
    Last edited by Ridge; 11-25-2004 at 13:23. Reason: omission

I know this is covered by LNT principles, but it can be repeated: when nature calls, go way off the trail, dig an actual cathole, and cover completely before you leave. Its disgusting how close to shelters so many "cat fields" are, with TP and worse strewn all over. People using shelters should be able to walk around the vicinity without having to worry about stepping in someone's waste.

Quote Originally Posted by stickman
    Its disgusting how close to shelters so many "cat fields" are, with TP and worse strewn all over. People using shelters should be able to walk around the vicinity without having to worry about stepping in someone's waste.
    Three weeks ago I was hiking in GSMNP. In places(near shelters) the trail side looked/smelled like a cess pool. Disgusting!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    When you are descending a mountain on a trail, yield to the folks coming uphill.
    I also have been taught to yield to downhill hikers since they tend to have the momentum (and I probably could use the rest anyway!). Generally, I pause regardless since I feel that it's polite to at least give a greeting before I move on.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene
    I also have been taught to yield to downhill hikers since they tend to have the momentum (and I probably could use the rest anyway!). Generally, I pause regardless since I feel that it's polite to at least give a greeting before I move on.
    I usually wait on downhill hikers for the same reason. Uphill waiting for down applies on steep trail when there is danger of kicking up scree or dislodging other matter.

Default Sums it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Wookie
    Put nothing in a fire other than natural organic materials found in the woods.

Keep food out of fires, it doesn't all burn and attracts wildlife in a negative way.

Keep fires small and sit closely.

Never have a fire on organic duff, even in snow. Use existing rings only.

Pack it in, pack it out. Don't burn it.

For God's sake don't burn your TP on the PCT or anywhere that's dry!

Learn how to make a friction fire (like bow drill) to really appreciate the significance of fire. Read some Tom Brown books about it.

Leave logs over 5-in diameter alone. They are important "nutrient banks" for forest ecology.
    Great advice Wookie! This is basically what we try to teach the Boy Scouts!
    Bolo

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Default In scouting.....

Quote Originally Posted by Groucho
    I usually wait on downhill hikers for the same reason. Uphill waiting for down applies on steep trail when there is danger of kicking up scree or dislodging other matter.
    My scouting books are buried somewhere in boxes, but I'd swear I remember reading that downhill hikers are to yield to uphill hikers b/c it is easier to start up again when going downhill. It would seem to make the most sense on busy trails, for ascending requires more of a grove then when descending. Ever notice you sweat more climbing then descending? That's b/c it's harder for the healthy hiker.

If the uphiller wants to stop & chat, great, but it should be their option.

But it's easier to fall if you're heading downhill, which is why I always yield to the downhill guys, especially if it's real steep.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud
    My scouting books are buried somewhere in boxes, but I'd swear I remember reading that downhill hikers are to yield to uphill hikers b/c it is easier to start up again when going downhill. It would seem to make the most sense on busy trails, for ascending requires more of a grove then when descending. Ever notice you sweat more climbing then descending? That's b/c it's harder for the healthy hiker.

If the uphiller wants to stop & chat, great, but it should be their option.
    I find it easy to stop on steep uphills. Usually, the uphill hiker sees me and stops before I can anyhow. I doubt all hikers will have scouting experience or will read any of these posts. Usually a downhill hiker will see an uphiller first though. If I see any scouts uphilling, I will wait.

The scout manual also says not to sip water (suck on a pebble instead), eat candy bars or drink sodas.

Slow and steady does the trick... AbeHikes's Avatar

Now I don't feel so bad. I couldn't remember, so I stop in both cases. It's easy to work out with the other person(s).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++