WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Health Insurance

Like many, I have to quit my job to pursue a thru-hike this Spring. This also means I may have to find private health insurance. Anybody have any advice about what they've done/plan to do?

I came across this site today which sounds like it might be good for a hiker but I don't know. http://www.worldnomads.com/

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Images

no personal experience but if i were you i would jut google 6 month to 1 yr plans. when researching some i found some as cheap as $40 a month.
    -Butts-

Lots of threads on this subject.
    Many do without.
    At 29 years old, what are you worried about?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by kjc22 View Post
    Like many, I have to quit my job to pursue a thru-hike this Spring. This also means I may have to find private health insurance. Anybody have any advice about what they've done/plan to do?

I came across this site today which sounds like it might be good for a hiker but I don't know. http://www.worldnomads.com/

Any advice would be really appreciated.

I got a www.goldenrule.com high deductible plan. It'll keep me from going bankrupt

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Lots of threads on this subject.
    Many do without.
    At 29 years old, what are you worried about?
    Agreed. I'm 25 and haven't had health insurance for nearly 2 years since they dropped me for getting treated for Long Term Lymes.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

as an older hiker, I had to search high and wide... finally found a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas policy with a high deductible and monthly payments of $258... a lot of money, but if I need it, it will take care of me... The sad part is that what I thought was the high deductible is just for "in network" or in Texas. My high deductible doubles outside of Texas. Wow! The problem is, I know what costs can be as my husband spent months in the hospital before he passed away. So as expensive as insurance is, I feel better having it.

Images

Depending on where you work your health insurance will cover you for a few months after your leave from work. There may be certain stipulations to that if you quit yourself though.

Images

Just bought a $54/mo policy for our 23 yr old son (never used alcohol or tobacco or drugs). The deductible is high but the point is to keep him and/or us from going bankrupt if he were come down with cancer or something catastrophic before he has a better paying job and can buy some other kind of policy. When my husband went on LOA for 6 mos we just bought a 6 mo policy for all 3 of us in case of a bad accident or illness. Go to www.eHealthinsurance.com and see what's available.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Just bought a $54/mo policy for our 23 yr old son (never used alcohol or tobacco or drugs). The deductible is high but the point is to keep him and/or us from going bankrupt if he were come down with cancer or something catastrophic before he has a better paying job and can buy some other kind of policy. When my husband went on LOA for 6 mos we just bought a 6 mo policy for all 3 of us in case of a bad accident or illness. Go to www.eHealthinsurance.com and see what's available.
    I agree 100%, as our health care protection for all Americans in this country is very troublesome to me, especially with around 60 million Americans with little or no coverage at all. With that said, I agree with Mrs. Baggins, get the insurance that you can afford so that you have some kind of policy to protect you.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

++ New Posts ++