WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default how to properly pack a back pack?

I'm fairly new to back packing and i've heard different reasonings for packing packs different ways. i was wondering what you find works the best for example heavy stuff towards your body in middle, light stuff in the bottom etc. All advise is welcome thanks! happy hiking
    "Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time".

Images

I dont know if you have a gear list written up but if you do, it could hep us evaluate how to pack it. Utlralight, Lightweight, and Heavy packs all look different on the inside so what is your approximate bass weight? also here is osprey advice on packing: http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/HowtoPackYourPack

-butts-

Images

my base weight is about 13-15 lbs, depending on season and companions. i tend to put my sleeping bag, underquilt, and extra clothes on the bottom, food in the middle, tarp and cook set on top, all for ease of access. all the other odds and ends go in the outside pocket. water goes in side pockets.
    Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Images

I tend to pack similar to Seaker only with my tarp in an outside mesh pocket and I use a heavy duty garbage bag as a pack liner (all my dry gear inside the garbage bag) because if I am hiking it will rain.
    WalkingStick"75"

Mine is similar. Sleeping stuff in first, then food bag, then some clothing and a clear plastic ziploc box of miscellaneous stuff that keeps the shape of the top of my pack rectangular. Nothing specific in my outside pocket or my clothing pockets. It isn't so much weight management as organizational.

Quote Originally Posted by butts0989 View Post
    I dont know if you have a gear list written up but if you do, it could hep us evaluate how to pack it. Utlralight, Lightweight, and Heavy packs all look different on the inside so what is your approximate bass weight? also here is osprey advice on packing: http://www.ospreypacks.com/PackTech/HowtoPackYourPack

-butts-
    Please don't forget to include your treble and midrange weight as well.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

i like to have certain things near zipper doors and i keep certain things in the brain compartment. heavy things near your body is a good strategy, my heaviest stuff is usually my water and my food. unless i m going on day hikes to a picnic or something. then i have the thermos filled with vino and the whole nine but thats a totally different story.
    "some rise, some fall, SOME CLIMB to get to Terrapin"

I would think this might also depend on type of pack. My pack has a bottom compartment (not single barrel) that is accessed via zipper on the outside, or can be unzipped to create a single barrel load.

I used to pack items that could get wet in the bottom compartment (tent, rain fly, ground cloth). Then I switched to a hammock and that now runs along the side of the pack, held by the compression straps. That freed up the bottom compartment for items I wanted to get to when the pack cover was on, such as rain jacket (dry), fleece jacket, extra shirt.

The main compartment of the pack is packed based on how often I need an item or what part of the day it is needed. Sleeping bag, cookware, stove, and my dinner/breakfast food bag are packed first because I only need those when I get to camp. On top of that I pack the clothes bag and my lunch food bag.

I have a top pouch that holds my map and any other informational items, my headlamp, my snack bag, and my first aid kit.

Water filtering system goes in one side pouch and toiletries go in the other side pouch.
    I carry one nalgene in a hip-belt pouch and another clips on the back of my pack.

This works for my style of hiking, but may not necessarily work for you. As you get more hiking under your belt, you will start to realize what you need easy access to and what you dont. You will start to find places to pack the needed items and where to stash the less needed. I dont know many folks that get it right the very first time. Ive even had to rethink my load sequence each time I buy a new pack.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

i guess my stuff pretty much goes in my pack much the same fashion you guys pack.

in the bottom goes my down. if i'm hammocking its my underquilt and my topquilt in a silnylong waterproof bag. or if i'm tenting i'll put my my sleeping bag down there.

next goes my hammock or my tent and tent fly.

after that i'll either lay my water bladder horizontally on top of that. next i'll put a fleece if i have one and then i'll put my rainjacket on top.

finally horizontally on top of that ill put my cook kit, then my food bag then my first aid kit and my water filter goes between my foodbag and my rain jacket and fleece layers.

in the top lid i have a ditty bag which was a tent stake stuff sack which has my headlamp, some fire starters i made, a fire steel, my compass, aqua pure, my pocket knife if i dont already have it in my pocket and finally my tent stakes and my map go in my top lid.

if anything i might carry two one liter water bottles on each side of my pack if i dont carry the water bladder.

if i'm hammocking i keep my tarp on the outside of my pack just in case it rains it gives me a quick way to pitch a quick shelter out of the rain and relax for a few minutes or camp for the night.

everything i pack away fits in perfect segments horizontally across the width of my pack. keeps everything nice and stable and luckily i've never had a leak or anything on my down either way the stuff sack is water proof so i'm not too worried.

I did a NOLS course a few years ago... (2003... 7 years ago??? where is the time going?? I'm getting OLD!!!). Anyways, they had an interesting method that helped for the bigger loads we were carrying. This was in Wyoming, with resupplies 7 or 8 days apart. The philosophy was to view your items as either bricks or mortar. Bricks were blocky/clunky things (sleeping bag, pots, tent), and the mortar were amorphous things like clothes. Try to make the bricks fit together kinda tightly, but then with each layer, stuff mortar in the empty space. It keeps your pack nice and tight. Clearly there are other things to consider like weight distribution, necessity, etc. Always good to keep a raincoat accessible and fuel below your food.

Just something to think about. This idea may be obvious to some, but can't hurt to point it out. Could help in other aspects of life as well: suitcase, car trunk...

A lot of packing your bag depends on you. Such as, I like the weight of my pack to be at the bottow of the pack, but others like it at the top of their pack. So...what is important is that you find a well made, lightweight pack with a good suspension construction around the shoulder and chest, but again, only you can find what you like and that means shake down hikes. Good luck.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

i put a layer of whiskey between each layer of clothing or gear.
    matthewski

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    I would think this might also depend on type of pack. My pack has a bottom compartment (not single barrel) that is accessed via zipper on the outside, or can be unzipped to create a single barrel load.

I used to pack items that could get wet in the bottom compartment (tent, rain fly, ground cloth). Then I switched to a hammock and that now runs along the side of the pack, held by the compression straps. That freed up the bottom compartment for items I wanted to get to when the pack cover was on, such as rain jacket (dry), fleece jacket, extra shirt.

The main compartment of the pack is packed based on how often I need an item or what part of the day it is needed. Sleeping bag, cookware, stove, and my dinner/breakfast food bag are packed first because I only need those when I get to camp. On top of that I pack the clothes bag and my lunch food bag.

I have a top pouch that holds my map and any other informational items, my headlamp, my snack bag, and my first aid kit.

Water filtering system goes in one side pouch and toiletries go in the other side pouch.
    I carry one nalgene in a hip-belt pouch and another clips on the back of my pack.

This works for my style of hiking, but may not necessarily work for you. As you get more hiking under your belt, you will start to realize what you need easy access to and what you dont. You will start to find places to pack the needed items and where to stash the less needed. I dont know many folks that get it right the very first time. Ive even had to rethink my load sequence each time I buy a new pack.

Thanks man, thats some good advise
    "Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time".

++ New Posts ++