WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

I like useing the straps...But I do take my hands out of the straps on certain descents just incase I do fall.

I learned today that I have been using the straps on my poles incorrectly for over 15 years. Will start using them correctly henceforth. No plans to take the straps off. Even though I had my hand placed throught the strap correctly, there have been times the strap has kept me from losing a pole over a steep embankment or cliff.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Has anyone besides me had the tip of a pole get stuck (usually in a crack between rocks) while strolling along and then almost have the strap pull you backward onto your tush? Seems to happen to me almost every trip.

Skiing in Snowmass many years ago, I was traversing from the uppermost lift over to one of the bowls when the basket of one of my poles caught on a spruce tree. I was abruptly yanked backwards and down into the soft snow beneath the tree, from which it took me 15 minutes to climb out.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

PacerPoles allow much more precise placement of the tip. Very rarely will you get one stuck in a crack in the rocks or roots. Another great advantage to this great design.

I've found that after a lot of practice with my poles any time the tip gets stuck I now instinctively jerk my wrist which normally unsticks it. I've also gotten pretty good at doing a 180 degree one footed dodo dance when that doesn't work. Haven't fallen down yet though*knock on wood*.

I appreciate all of the input from everyone. I started leaving off the straps on my old Swiss Gear poles because I couldn't make them comfortable no matter how I had my hand in them. I assumed it would be the same with the Leki's. I'll put the straps back on and try them for a while just to see how they'll do.

Sparky,

Give them some quality practice time with the straps installed, and fiddle fart around with the proper length of the strap. I am in the "I like them and use them" camp, for me, I think they help me hike faster on level ground, can actually let the pole go on the end of the stride, and having a light grip all the time limits fatigue.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Are you sure you have seen the correct way to use the straps? When used correctly, straps are an integral part of how the trekking pole can work. Have you used them by putting the hand through the bottom so the strap is around the top of the wrist and coming up through the palm?

I love the straps because I don't have to have a firm grip on the handle.
    You'll really love them when you slip and fall that the pole locks your arm in place and it snaps like a twig. I know two people this summer that happened to. I don't use straps, none of the ridgerunners use straps. I don't recommend them at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Are you sure you have seen the correct way to use the straps? When used correctly, straps are an integral part of how the trekking pole can work. Have you used them by putting the hand through the bottom so the strap is around the top of the wrist and coming up through the palm?

I love the straps because I don't have to have a firm grip on the handle.

ditto. you'll miss them going down the mountains and make big steps when you ride the poles.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    You'll really love them when you slip and fall that the pole locks your arm in place and it snaps like a twig. I know two people this summer that happened to. I don't use straps, none of the ridgerunners use straps. I don't recommend them at all.
    If you use them correctly, when you fall your hands should release from the pole. My wife fell twice face first and her poles freed from her palms but stayed on her wrist and she had no injury. Then again, go ahead, hike without them and see how it goes. Each his own.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

I have to admit that I didn't like straps until I saw a video on REI about how to wear them properly. Since then, my hands hurt less when I use them because I don't have a death grip on the poles and have support at the wrist.

So I fall in to the crowd that loves my strap now.

I can't imagine hiking by NOT using the straps! You can relax your grip on the poles and not worry about losing them. If tightened correctly, they also aid in helping to push off while headed uphill. Make sure to come up through the strap from the bottom and then grip the pole with the strap between your pole/strap as you normally would; between your thumb and index finger with a lighter grip. Some of the weight/shock will be transmitted to your wrists and your efforts will be much more comfortable. For me...I only use one pole as hiking in Maine requires a lot of grabbing of rock and tree limbs and roots when ascending/descending. Best to have a free arm available. Of course, I have been hiking that way for over 35 years, so I am a little set in my ways....Use the straps!!

I made my own walking stick/pole and I put a nice ropework strap on it. I have my hand up to my thumb through the strap and grip the pole. I find it much more stable when treading down into or up out of a ravine when that litle extra balance is nice. I have a much more stable grip this way.

The shaft is nicely carved to look like twisted rope too--quite nice what you can do on a rainy day in camp.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

No, I use the straps.

I used to do cross-country skiing, so I use my trekking poles the same way a skier does.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

When I first began using poles in '04, I threaded my hand through the straps but don't know if I did it "correctly" or not. I stopped using the straps years ago and have never had sore wrists or hands. But based on what I'm reading in this thread, I'll give the straps another try.

Use them. There's a reason they're there -- it's not just so you don't drop them. If you have trouble figuring out how they're supposed to go, take your poles to an outfitter who sells them and they'll sort you out.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

When I get really tired, I turn the poles upside down and slip the straps over my feet. Then I can use my arms to help my tired legs move.

anyone know where to get replacement straps?

Maybe try leki for replacement straps, but I don't know. Leki website also has good info on strap use.

thanks, i stopped by REI today (scratch and dent sale) they had a set of poles broken in half and gave me the 2 ends with the straps for free. Thanks REI. I was worried i was going to have to get new poles and then a new stickpic.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++