Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

This quote is taken from the original poster's post: "I'm pretty dog savey, being a dog groomer for four years and vet assistant for two. I'd also say I'm trail savey after hiking the A.T. But with a dog it may be a whole nother experience."

I would argue that this person is well-qualified to take a dog on the trail, having a knowledge of the different breeds, basic veterinary care, and having thru-hiked the AT. That he sought out advice is another sign of his responsible nature. The problem is that he's being
    dissuaded from attempting the hike with a dog all together, not encouraged to go forward with proper planning and preparation. That is the key, not abandoning the dream. This person just needs to select the right dog and prepare adequately, as you would select the right person to hike with and prepare adequately.

THis is from one of the anti-dog on the trail types posted above: "
    BEFORE you commit to such an action as wanting to take a dog along on a long hike READ and then RE-READ some of Jack Tarlins's advice on taking a dog while on a thru-hike. He brings up many points most people who are wanting to hike with a dog HAVE NOT considered, from the perspective of the one who wants to take the dog on a thru-hike, to the ones a dog impacts while also on a hike, and from the dog's prospective...."

That bold section betrays poster's anti-dog agenda. It assumes the dog owner has no consideration for others on the trail or in the back country, which is generally untrue in my vast experience. Most dog owners who love their dogs enough to want them with them as much as possible, especially outdoors, are quite concerned with how their dog interacts with others they encounter during their outings. And these type of dog owners almost always consider how the trip will impact the dog's health. We are no more irresponsible or inconsiderate than other people.

But, yes, there are some on this thread who do seem genuinely concerned for the well-beling of the dogs. I did not say "all" betrayed an anti-dog agenda. In any event, I will always advocate for experiencing the wild with a dog or dogs.

Read my post and you'll have your answer.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

4dogsinbackcountry , you should like an experienced dog owner.

Thru-hiking is another ball of wax however.

This thread is also 4 yrs old.

I'd be curious if the OP came back and said how he or she dealt with the logistic issues of the National Parks and CA state parks.

The AT is, overall, fairly easy for a dog owner.

The PCT? Not so much.

Unless you can provide us concrete information with phone numbers, shuttle people and kennels? That would be productive and helpful. I know many people would appreciate the info.

Being a CA based backpacker and dog owner, perhaps you have that information?

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Mags, I understand your point, and I regret having such a harsh tone in my reply to the thread. I have never responded to one of these threads or forums as I'm not really a social media tech person. This is a first, so I guess I have unleashed my own pent up pro-dog bias here.

And I understand your point about the kennels around the national and state parks, shuttle services for the dogs, etc. That concrete info is listed in several PCT thru-hike books, though you would want the most current info. I would imagine it is online. That is not my point here. My frustration is that dogs are banned in the first place, ruining any opportunity to enjoy the national and state parks with a dog before even starting. That is the tragedy here, and this infection is spreading throughout the PCT and other national trails. Dogs are increasingly unwelcome, not because they are any more abusive than people, but because anti-dog people lobby for change harder and louder than pro-dog hikers do. That is the point in my post. Dogs are special creatures. There are no other animals with such loyalty to human beings, not even other human beings.

Again, the answer is not banning dogs or dissuading hikers from taking their dogs along with them on difficult hikes. Believe me, dogs love this as much as humans, possibly more. They need to have boundaries, yes, for their own protection and health, but so do we.

Those who want to take their dogs into the back country should be able to do it--but do it responsibly, just as we would go responsibly without a dog. Yes, there will always be those who break the rules. That is the human condition dating back to the Garden of Eden--or if an evolutionist, from the time the lobe-finned fishes bucked the trend and walked out of the water to live on land--or whenever. People break the rules without dogs by starting campfires, dropping trash, and so on. Why so hard on dogs and their owners?

(THis is my last response to the thread as I have other things to get done. Curse me at will.)

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The thread was not about the legality of bringing a dog, but rather the logistic, health and other challenges of a dog on the PCT. Again, this thread is four years old. If you like to advocate dogs in the backcountry, we have a forum for dog issues you may want to use (for the AT but has lots of general info as well).

However, as an aside, advocating breaking the rules is not something we really condone on this site. Do a quick search on alcohol stoves and campfires during burn bans to see a similar take.

A dog on the PCT is huge undertaking and one, I'm afraid, you did not really give any constructive advice for. Note that many of the original posters are experienced PCT hikers who happen to be dog owners. Erik even writes a popular guidebook for the PCT. Hardly anti-dog on the PCT. Just experience from actually hiking the trail.

There is no easily available shuttle info (that I am aware of) for dogs on the PCT be it online or in print form. Could have been something of value you could have offered rather than a diatribe. So it goes.
    Last edited by Mags; 04-22-2014 at 16:26.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Having hiked the PCT as well as clean up after 225lbs of poochy.... I would say that the advice given on this thread was spot on. How it was taken as anti-dog amazes me.

CF97 > Everything Else.

I will not feed the troll.... I will not feed the troll... I will not feed the troll.
    "... I know it is wrong, but I am for the spirit that makes young men do the things they do. I am for the glory that they know." --Sigurd Olson, Singing Wilderness.

AT '12, LT '13, CT '14, PCT '15

4dogsinbackcountry really seems to have thought the matter through. Those in the string most negative toward dogs on the trail are really saying much the same thing: think it through. Mostly, make sure you train your dog for the big hike every bit as much as you train yourself, even more. Don't project wilderness durability on our canine friends. Most are city dog tenderfoots.

Thanks there, 4dogsinthebackcountry. My oversized Shetland Sheepdog has been running the trails with me since a pup and in his adult life has climbed over 30 of Colorado's Fourteeners. Thank you for your thoughtful council on the issue. The decision about dogs on the trail requires more than the reflex NO.

Summer's comin'. Enjoy, everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++