WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yeah Disney-- "I guess if I'm sleeping in a shelter with other folks, there's a part of my mind that just says "well if something bad happens those guys will wake me up."

I always laugh at myself when I think that because I'm looking at them and knowing they are thinking the same thing about me.

I used to get that feeling at night (terrified, wide awake listening to every noise), but after so many nights where you hear noises and nothing happens, it just becomes part of the background.

THAT BEING SAID... Last fall, in Stone Mountain State Park, NC, I was out for a one nighter with my friend. Our campsite was at the very end of a side trail. It had been dark for awhile and we were laying in our hammocks talking, getting ready to sleep. After a couple minutes of silence, a SNEEZE. We both heard it. It came from the woods side of the campsite (not the trail) and sounded human or large. No (good) reason for a human to be that way, so we were hoping it was just a bear (hah). We were both spooked for a good hour, but nothing happened and we eventually drifted off. Sounds at night can certainly be more alarming when alone though.

But hey, isn't that why we hike all day? So we pass out faster in the woods at night?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    I bet it phases out. It is all about your comfort zone, which develops over time. Turkeys and grouse, though, always seem to wait until you are almost stepping on them, then they explode in front of you in their own version of a panic. They will startle me until the day I die, which will probably be due to a heart attack caused by a damn turkey.

LOL. That's Funny!!!

Images

I agree, It will pass with experience. I used to worry about every little sound and sometimes couldn't get to sleep until the sun came up. After a few trips I resigned myself to the fact that there will be noises that I can't make out.
    I basically figure if it isn't coming into my tent to get me, I could care less if there is a grizzly snooping around my camp, Go ahead, take that bag of cheetos I forgot to put away, just leave me alone!!

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Hello,Young Person, I have to adjust on my first 2-3 days out. Not so much to the daytime, but at night. Ear plugs help alot and ,IN-A-GODA-DA-VEDA, also helps me fall off to sleep..You may be to young to know that song..
    YOU take care,and good hiking...
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

Registered User David@whiteblaze's Avatar
    Images

Well, here we have some great responses. Now two things: 1. When did I ever say fear? I said jumpiness, just walking, hearing something and being poised to strike back... The qoute was just saying that at least someone else has experienced this. 2. Does anyone know if there are any snakes that climb trees in Alabama? the way that the branch-shoulder-ditch-leaf movement makes me think it was either a startled snake or an attack leaf that got bored and decided to freak out an unsuspecting hiker... whatever happened started behind me and ended to the side and slightly in front of me. Sitting here, it occurs to me that I could've had a mini shooting pain reminisce in a place that was deeply infected wen my adrenalinkicked in when a squirrel jumped to an altenate branch... that happens when I am really stessed...
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Alfonzo View Post
    Hello,Young Person, I have to adjust on my first 2-3 days out. Not so much to the daytime, but at night. Ear plugs help alot and ,IN-A-GODA-DA-VEDA, also helps me fall off to sleep..You may be to young to know that song..
    YOU take care,and good hiking...
    In the garden of eden?
    Important Notice:

Due to recent budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Sincerely,
    The Government

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Take some Xanax.

You're advocated prescription drug use to a 15 yr old - ??

lovely

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Hello Again,YOUNG PERSON, In Accordance with, my IRON BUTTERFLY album, of 1968, may I correct YOU.."IN-A-GODDA-DA-VIDA" and the song is 17:05 min.long..If only I could be YOUNG again ,and know it ALL..
    YOU TAKE CARE YOUNG PERSON,, MIKE..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    2. Does anyone know if there are any snakes that climb trees in Alabama? the way that the branch-shoulder-ditch-leaf movement makes me think it was either a startled snake or an attack leaf that got bored and decided to freak out an unsuspecting hiker... whatever happened started behind me and ended to the side and slightly in front of me. Sitting here, it occurs to me that I could've had a mini shooting pain reminisce in a place that was deeply infected wen my adrenalinkicked in when a squirrel jumped to an altenate branch... that happens when I am really stessed...

I know snakes hang out in trees on the AT. Saw one in PA near Kirkridge shelter way up in a tree. Nice thing is, snakes near shelters mean no mice.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hello Again,YOUNG PERSON, In Accordance with, my IRON BUTTERFLY album, of 1968, may I correct YOU.."IN-A-GODDA-DA-VIDA" and the song is 17:05 min.long..If only I could be YOUNG again ,and know it ALL..
    I always think of this when I hear in a gadda da vida:

http://www.ugoto.com/video_the_simps...a_da_vida.html

Also, I've had snakes in trees in my backyard when living in both North and South Carolina. So I'd say yes to Alabama. They're everywhere.

Images

Saint, the kid may know something you don't. The song was originally "In the Garden of Eden". Check it out.
    BTW, if you are listening to Iron Butterfly my guess is the herbal meds help you sleep? LOL
    As Archie Bunker sang........Those were the days.
    Won't go without my Therm-A-Rest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    You're advocated prescription drug use to a 15 yr old - ??

lovely
    Whoops, I forgot, young kids don't do drugs. Forgive me. (I'll try to notice the posted age from now on.)
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Hello,LimpsAlong, how are YOU?? I have to agree with YOU on the songs original title. And as far as Herbal meds.. I have, NO COMMENT, Job security and all that stuff. At least thats what I use to say, before I retired..
    YOU TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF...AND GOOD HIKING....MIKE...

Anything new causes jumpiness.

Spend 6 months on the trail and then spend a night in an apt in NYC and you get jumping everytime a drunk walks past your bedroom window.

Being alone certainly compounds the jumpiness. Being with a group of people you trust will certainly lessen it.

Give it time, you will get use to the woods.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Um, I realized that the song that you were reffering to was IN-A-GODDA-DA-VIDA, but I was asking if that meant in the garden of eden... Also, in reference to the rest, I wouldn't go out to get a prescription to keep me from looking around as a tree falls...
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Images

I get more scared when all the noises stop.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by David@whiteblaze View Post
    Um, I realized that the song that you were reffering to was IN-A-GODDA-DA-VIDA, but I was asking if that meant in the garden of eden... Also, in reference to the rest, I wouldn't go out to get a prescription to keep me from looking around as a tree falls...

There was a Simpsons episode where Bart switched the music and it was sung as 'In the Garden of Eden' to the tune of the aforementioned song.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OBUSO View Post
    There was a Simpsons episode where Bart switched the music and it was sung as 'In the Garden of Eden' to the tune of the aforementioned song.
    you mean this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevermind View Post
    I always think of this when I hear in a gadda da vida:

http://www.ugoto.com/video_the_simps...a_da_vida.html

Also, I've had snakes in trees in my backyard when living in both North and South Carolina. So I'd say yes to Alabama. They're everywhere.
    Important Notice:

Sincerely,
    The Government

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    ... When you camp put a fish line trip wire in a 20' radius around your camp. Tie it to a tree 18" or so off the ground and string it in a circle back around to the tree where it is tied. Tie the loose end to a cook pot or other noisy object and wedge it in somewhere off the ground just enough that the line can pull it out and not the wind. At least with this you only have to be concerned with the noise of the pot falling and not every noise in the woods. ...
    Nah, use flash-bangs. That way, when something trips, you only have to get up to clean your clothes and bag. And to reset the trip again, of course. Never know when something super stupid might stumble by.

For real, though, it's coyotes that get to me. They're such an eerie sound, and a small pack of them sounds like a big pack. And they don't let up: every fifteen minutes or so, they're at it again. One of them over there, a couple more down the other direction, and pretty soon they're all at it. Then when they've talked it out, they quiet down until the next time, only this time they're closer. Get the feeling they're talking about me, planning the attack.

But of course they're really out after dinner, which is critters much smaller than me. If they find me camped out, they'll scout me, of course, but I don't believe they'll do more than that unless they're really hard up. These new coyote crosses are a bit more concerning, but I've not heard of any attacks on camped hikers at night: just on dog walkers and the like in daytime or dusk.

The sounds of carnivores out hunting are certainly chilling, but hardly ever a real concern. They're just part of the sound track, it seems.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++