WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Campmor 20 degree down mummy sleeping bag stuff sack

For those of you that own this bag: do you use the stuff sack that came with it? I just got it and it seems kind of small. I don't want to permanently affect the loft of the bag. I don't assume it's waterproof so I wouldn't use it without a pack liner.

Virginia Tortoise

I got a 20 degree EMS Boreal mummy bag last summer and the stuff sack for it was very tight and cheap. I think that they are doing this on purpose so that you will buy a high profit compression sack to go along with it.

Garlic
    Images

I used to own that sleeping bag and I never put it in the stuff sack. That was a packing preference, not as much fear of damaging the down.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I see no reason you cant use the stuff sack. I mean it does compress it for the hike, but you take it out when you get to camp and it fluffs out. Just never store it compressed. I lay mine out on the guest bed for now to store it. (my Montell hugger)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Hike smarter, not harder.

I don't use a stuff sack. I just put my sleeping bag in the bottom of my pack, and then put everything in on top of it.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I also have that bag, 2 years old, but the stuff sack that came with mine is right size, and I have added about 4 ounces of down to the bag, which makes it bigger overall. Fits well, have to jam the bag, but that is what the sack is for. Don't have to be weight lifter to get it in, so for me, it is correctly sized.

I wouldn't worry about stuffing a down bag for hiking purposes, they are made for that purpose. If your packing style can avoid that by simply putting the bag in your pack, well looser is better for overall bag life, but not a big deal, IMO. Kind of a style/fit thing.

Just get the bag out when you get set up, and don't leave it that way at home, good to go.

It is tight,but fits.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

My husband is considering buying the Campmor 20 down bag, what are your thoughts? Is it well-made, comfortable, good dimensions? It's a very attractive price.
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Images

I stuff mine in a water proof bag. One of those sea to summit things, I think.
    It give me the piece of mind that my bag will be dry no matter the conditions of the day.

DoughNut

Chance,

I have a long model, and our scout troop has about 8 of them. They are great value bags, but IMO, a little optimistic on temp ratings. I would say the 20 is a warm 30, not a warm 20 without extra insulation. Nothing wrong with the bag. Packs small, and has continuous baffles, meaning you can shift the down to the top if it is cold, and the bottom if it is really warm, a nice feature. For the cost/weight, they are a great buy. Size wise, you will have to figure that one out by yourself, go to an outfitter, find some kind of bag you know for sure the dimensions on, get in it, now you have reference point to compare other bags. The campmor one is pretty wide, IMO.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chancelynn2002 View Post
    My husband is considering buying the Campmor 20 down bag, what are your thoughts? Is it well-made, comfortable, good dimensions? It's a very attractive price.
    It is a good bag for the price. But if you can afford better quality down, you probably won't regret it. I put thousands of trail miles on mine before I upgraded, then I regretted waiting so long. (Just like I regretted waiting so long to make the switch from synthetic to down.)
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

a buddy of mine just got one. it looked skinny in the legs upon initial viewing
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

++ New Posts ++