WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Question Open to suggestions: Lightweight, well-made H20 filters?

Not doing chemicals, so please don't bother there.

If we don't have access to springwater or at least running water higher up a mountain, then we'll be filtering.

DH and I are pretty short on funds, so cannot afford to buy a few things that work only marginally or break a few weeks into our hike.

What do you guys suggest? Brands, models, actual experiences?

Thank you all so much
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Garlic
    Images

I've seen gravity-feed filters last a long time. Not sure of brands, sorry.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The Katadyn Hiker is reliable and easy to use and filters are readily available on the trail and they have good customer service. You can check reviews on Amazon. There is also the Hiker Pro but the basic pump and filter are the same so you probably don't need to spend the extra money.

You still should carry a week's worth of chemicals as a backup or to treat scary water.

Also if you are hiking with your husband one should carry the pump and the other the filter and you should both carry some basic emergency stuff such as way to start a fire, etc. in case you get separated. You don't plan for that to happen but it could.

Images

I got my MSR Autoflow a couple weeks ago and have only been able to use it to filter a couple times, but I love it so far. Here's what I like about it:
    > Water bag with huge opening works like a water bucket to quickly retrieve 4 liters of water from a water source.
    > Weighs 10.5 ounces complete
    > Filters fast...it seemed like it only took a couple minutes to fill my 10 liter water bag.
    > The water bag seals up tight enough to carry an extra 4 liters of water in your pack.
    > The whole setup is compact and doesn't have any parts hanging off that could break when stuffed in a heavy pack.

If you want to trim more weight, you could leave behind part or all of the nalgene bottle adapter and cut some of the excessively long hose and straps.

The only thing I don't like so far is that the filter must be protected against freezing, but I think this is true for all filters.

Anyway, I'll be using it frequently over the next couple of weeks, so I'll have a much better report when I return.

I have been using the Katadin Hiker for three years and can't say enough good things about it. I buy inexpensive fuel filters from the auto supply store and splice them into the water intake line, which prolong the life the filter cartridge. I would suggest staying away from the hiker pro unless you really want to use the quick connect fittings to hook the filter up to your water bladder. The quick connect fitting can break off the filter body after several weeks of shoving the filter into your pack. The standard Hiker does not have the problem. Keep in mind with any filter the filter life is limited and needs to be replaced when it clogs. The manufacturer specs are under ideal water conditions and are not likely to be obtained in the field. FYI, I tried the MSR Hyperflow, but found that it could not handle any silt. After I complained to MSR they gave me a full refund. I went back to the Hiker and plan on sticking with it.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

Anyway, I'll be using it frequently over the next couple of weeks, so I'll have a much better report when I return.
    That's a nice looking filter, I look forward to reading how it works for you. I'm trying to figure the best filter to replace my Hyperflow....

I'd also like to know how it compares to the Sawyer which is about $20 less expensive.

I have the Katadyn Pocket Microfilter. Although this filter is a bit on the heavy side it is EXTREMELY rugged and well made. I've seen many cases where people broke off the plastic connectors where the hoses attache on the Hiker series.

This thing is good for 13,000 gallons (so they claim, but I haven't used it enough to reach 13,000 gallons yet. Has a cleanable filter too. It comes with a repair kits with some o-rings, etc.

I got this one because I am pretty tough on equipment and I could tear up an anvil. I just didn't want to risk cranking the plastic on those Hiker models.

I've also heard good things about the Steripen, but I personally have not used it. The steripen would be much more lite. But I don't know enough of it to recommend it. I can tell you that I've yet to break my Pocket Microfilter.

Images

http://www.steripen.com/classic

5.7 ounces

mine works great
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Is this for a through? I guess if so then my solution wouldn't be as good but I use the MSR miniworks and love it, have for the last 5 years actually.

I'll admit I have no experience hiking for 6 months straight, I rarely go for more than 4-5 nights but to me the fantastic design and screw straight into a nalgene makes it worth 1 lb. I realize that kind of weight penalty gets one mocked around here, so readily admit i'm not coming with a through hike's experience.

Apologize, apparently no way to delete my last post. I meant to end with I would at least trust their lightweight option knowing as much as I do about their heavier one. I heard it had a filter issue but that's supposedly fixed.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have to say when it comes to filters. Lighter may not be better, cheaper made and to small of a cartridge.
    I don't know

Registered User NashvilleBiscuit's Avatar

Katahdin Hiker is the way to go. I actually have the PUR model. It is about 10 years old and still going. Other than replacing the filter and lubricating a couple of spots this thing is still going strong. Just take care of it when you use it. There is no need to pump really hard or fast. Most people break the things because they are reckless with their filter and just pump too hard or dont clean it regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleBiscuit View Post
    Katahdin Hiker is the way to go. I actually have the PUR model. It is about 10 years old and still going. Other than replacing the filter and lubricating a couple of spots this thing is still going strong. Just take care of it when you use it. There is no need to pump really hard or fast. Most people break the things because they are reckless with their filter and just pump too hard or dont clean it regularly.
    best filter by far! had my pur hiker since 2000. not a single problem with thousands of miles of use

i only use two cartridges on a thruhike. 1 to start with and ill change out to the second one around 1,200 to 1,500 mile mark. and usually the first one was still working pretty well.

Not committing until I graduate! Sassafras Lass's Avatar
    Images

Yes, this is for our GA-ME hike March '11. We're using this year to learn what we can, get in better shape, and buy our gear.

So would you say that the reason many filters and purifiers don't work is due to user error?
    Formerly 'F-Stop'

If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.

~ Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Chancelynn2002 View Post

So would you say that the reason many filters and purifiers don't work is due to user error?
    Absolutely. I read in a another thread that someone takes their filter out of the pump and rinses it in the stream, put unfiltered water in their water container, scrub a paper filter, never change their filter. With some organisms it doesn't take many to make you sick. People also get sloppy with chemicals or use old bleach.

If you are not hiking until 2011 you might wait a while before buying a filter as there has been some innovation in water treatment in the last few years and something really good may come on the market. Still buy it in time to practice using it, cleaning it, etc. Also that way you can look out for sales--someone was selling replacement filters really cheap here a while back.

Also in my post above I meant that one of you should carry the pump and the other the emergency chemicals in case you get separated, not the one the pump and one the filter!

Also remember that the best way to kill organisms in water is to bring it to a boil, that pretty much kills everything reliably and works even in an emergency at home. If I am in camp getting water and am going to make tea or boil water for dinner sometimes I don't filter the water in my cookpot if it is a spring as opposed to a stream or lake.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleBiscuit View Post
    Another vote for this filter. I also have the PUR version, bought it in the early 90's and we're completely satisfied.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I use a filter bottle like the one in the link below. Inexpensive, simple, effective, essentially unbreakable. Replacement filters are readily available at most camping stores, Campmor, etc. I forgot how many fills a filter is supposed to be good for, but I plan on one per 3-4 weeks on a thru, or one per summer of day/weekend hikes. Other manufacturers offer a similar product. I fill up at most stream crossings, so I rarely carry more than a pint of water. If it appears it might be a while between crossings, I'll carry unfiltered water in a platy to refill the bottle.

http://www.mcnett.com/Aquamira-Water...lter-P216.aspx

I made a Gravity filter out of a dry sack from wally world some parts from US plastics and a Hiker Pro filter

since i had a Hiker pro...the cost for making it was only $20...
    there not hard to make...and there is a cheaper way to make one as well
    goto JustJeff's page...Google it
    and he has plans to make one there
    or visit the Hammockforums.net and search for gravity filter...we had a few threads about it not too long ago...lots of good info

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++