WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Headlamps-Help!!

I thought I had settled on a Headlamp, The Mammut Lucido X Zoom, and then I read the recent postings.
    These are the four I have narrowed it down to.

Princeton Tec Apex Headlamp

Mammut Lucido X-Zoom Headlamp

FENIX 105 LUMENS WATERPROOF LED HEADLAMP HL20

Black Diamond Icon Headlamp

What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Images

It sounds like you want us to say to get a Fenix. I have a Fenix headlamp, a HP10, so I'll go ahead and say to get the Fenix.

i would consider the weight, battery life and cost. also is this your only light?

Images

I cut and pasted the Fenix info, Didn't realize it was in capitals.

I will also carry my Fenix LD20 AA Flashlight as back up.

Images

I was looking at the Fenix HP10 also but read a bad review on it.
    At 225 lumens it looks like the brightest headlamp available.

Unless you plan on doing quite a bit of night hiking Don't spend more than $20 or $30. I know headlamps can cost up to $150 and more but why throw a ton of money away on something that you are basically only going to use to find your way back to the tent after a midnight piss?

What do you plan on needing your headlamp for? Intended use will be the most important factor.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    What do you plan on needing your headlamp for? Intended use will be the most important factor.
    Eggzakly. Tree Banger stopped at my tent about midnight one time and shared some of his hiking wine with me as we chatted. I guess that routine didn't work for him. I heard he gave up night hiking / night drinking. Hiking all day was enough for me. The only thing I need a light for is to go out to pee. I carried a little one bulb photon light. I'm going to put a new battery in it and carry the same light on this thru hike.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Unless you plan on doing quite a bit of night hiking Don't spend more than $20 or $30. I know headlamps can cost up to $150 and more but why throw a ton of money away on something that you are basically only going to use to find your way back to the tent after a midnight piss?
    That's a good point, I have only done short day hikes and was not sure if I would end up having to hike in the dark on a Thru-Hike. I figured if that happened just once it would be worth it to have a good, bright headlamp, I figure in camp I would probably keep it on low. I have never used a headlamp in all my years of camping, Just a "D" cell maglite. I have 95% of my Thru-Hike gear so cost is not much of an issue, Although I saw a headlamp on line for 198.00 dollars which is definitely more than I would like to spend.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by J.L. View Post
    I figured if that happened just once it would be worth it to have a good, bright headlamp, I figure in camp I would probably keep it on low.
    That's what I was thinking too. I already have one long night hike planned. I also plan to start hiking before the sun starts to come up. In camp my light is always on the lowest setting, which is actually a bit brighter than I'd prefer, especially for reading. I think the only time I really turn it up brighter is when I'm night hiking and trying to find blazes. The PCT blazes I've seen are all reflective, and the headlamp makes them super easy to find. It's almost easier to find a snow covered trail at by hiking at night with a headlamp!

What did the bad review say?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    That's what I was thinking too. I already have one long night hike planned. I also plan to start hiking before the sun starts to come up. In camp my light is always on the lowest setting, which is actually a bit brighter than I'd prefer, especially for reading. I think the only time I really turn it up brighter is when I'm night hiking and trying to find blazes. The PCT blazes I've seen are all reflective, and the headlamp makes them super easy to find. It's almost easier to find a snow covered trail at by hiking at night with a headlamp!

What did the bad review say?
    S.
    from PDX gives it a 2 and says..
    Fairly disappointed. I collect flashlights and headlamps and I love Fenix lights! When I heard they were making a headlamp I couldn’t wait. Too bad this seems like they rushed it out the doors. I have never bought a headlamp that does not come with the head straps attached (whole point of having a headlamp). Once I got them on I Realized that it is very tight on my big head and does not feel good at all. I like the design of the battery compartment but it seems very flimsy. The head of the unit is the only thing that feels like a fenix but not the head housing, it feels cheap and the buttons seem like they will stop working in about a month. The biggest downfall in my opinion is the fact that you can barely adjust the angle of the headlamp! Unlike my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp this one uses a cheap ribbed plastic piece that clicks from notch to notch but It is very hard to move even with two hands and it pokes me in the forehead when I do so. Good lighting levels and I love the strobe on this light but this will be a lemon to my collection and I feel this will not stand the test of time.

Images

Sounds like serious nitpicking by a hardcore whiner. Come on, complaining about straps not being attached from the factory?? If you're the kind of person that has that kind of issue with putting on straps, then of course you'll be the kind of person that goes crying about notches poking holes in your head. Now if you're the kind of person that can shave with a safety razor while using shaving cream all by yourself and without tears, then you're probably smart and tough enough to get along well with the HP10.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Sounds like serious nitpicking by a hardcore whiner. Come on, complaining about straps not being attached from the factory?? If you're the kind of person that has that kind of issue with putting on straps, then of course you'll be the kind of person that goes crying about notches poking holes in your head. Now if you're the kind of person that can shave with a safety razor while using shaving cream all by yourself and without tears, then you're probably smart and tough enough to get along well with the HP10.
    I thought the same thing when I read that review, Big deal, You have to attach the straps. The other issues he mentions made me think twice. I don't mind paying for a product that is durable and reliable. I determine the value of an item by how long it will last. If you pay 500.00 bucks for something and it lasts 30 years, It basically cost 16.00 dollars per year.

i know it s not one of your choices but i purchased a petzl e + http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/signal-and-elite/elite

While I haven't used any of the models you have listed, I have to give a nod to Black Diamond.

I have a BD Gizmo. Its a simple 3 LED lamp and does a wonderful job. I've had the same one for 3 1/2 years now and it is still going strong. The only trouble I had was recently it would cut out if jostled roughly but I figured out a contact had been bent. Once I fixed that, it worked as good as new. Great battery life even in cold weather.

It probably has over 600 miles of trail on it plus countless hours working in and around the house.

Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    While I haven't used any of the models you have listed, I have to give a nod to Black Diamond.

I have a BD Gizmo. Its a simple 3 LED lamp and does a wonderful job. I've had the same one for 3 1/2 years now and it is still going strong. The only trouble I had was recently it would cut out if jostled roughly but I figured out a contact had been bent. Once I fixed that, it worked as good as new. Great battery life even in cold weather.

It probably has over 600 miles of trail on it plus countless hours working in and around the house.
    So many choices, I may just have to write them all down on slips of paper, mix them up in a hat and pick the lucky Headlamp.

Images

Default Petzl

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    i know it s not one of your choices but i purchased a petzl e + http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/signal-and-elite/elite
    I have seen a lot of these posted under gear on Trail Journals.Com.
    1 ounce. How can you go wrong. It is a consideration but 16 lumens is not very bright compared to others like the Princeton Tec Apex at 130 lumens.
    It looks like it would be perfect for reading in the tent or shelter.

I can understand someone used to Fenix flashlight might be disappointed with the HL20... I know I was. Fenix flashlights are superbly crafted. The headlamp didn't feel that way. The tilt adjustment is not as smooth as a number of headlamps I have used. The plate the headband connects into is large enough that it doesn't sit evenly against my forehead. That said, I think it's still one of the best headlamps on the market.

Unfortunately, headlamps seem to lag handhelds when it comes to quality and embracing updated technology.

With night hiking... there is a tendency to go for overkill. Really bright lights. I would encourage you to experiment with night hiking. I found on clear nights with even a 1/4 moon, it was easier to follow a trails like the PCT and AT using adjusted eyes / sky's light than with light. Alas remember that it's easy to gauge the trail with the light coming from a different angle that your eyes to shadows are produced. Light coming from around your waist works well. Hense, I tend to use a hand light for night hiking.

--Mark

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-HD33..._bxgy_sg_img_b

you wont be sorry..i love this thing it has seen snow and heat and damp and just downright unpleasant.... has 4 settings two red leds...two low white leds .. two medium white leds... and the last setting which is the low and the medium white leds together for a " high" setting, takes 3 triple A batteries which LAST ive had this lamp for 2 years and i dont once remember replacing the batteries..im sure i have a few times but thats the point.. its not like other headlamps where it seems like you have to change them every week
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-LED-..._bxgy_hi_img_b

my bad linked the wrong lamp, they make two kinds , i bought mine in the checkout lane of a walmart
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++