WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

you will have NO problem with night hiking using that light.

Images

i use this with a red lens

http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...ogleProductAds

it's plenty for me on the AT. no really crazy night hiking. some wake ups at 4am and hiking out in the dark, and 1 crazy time i got stuck out in a snowstorm and hiked into the night. i like the strap a lot
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Petzl e-lite.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I've become a big fan of the Wally World headlamp (3 LED Energizer model). Not only is it $12..it comes with batteries!

The red LED is esp useful for night hiking (when I need to look at a map, pull something out of my pack, etc) when I do not want to ruin my night vision. I have also found the red LED useful for hut trips when I do not want to wake up people. The headlamp has become my go-to headlamp. Use it for night hikes all the time (I love night hiking!). I always have it stashed in my pack.

When I am doing longer backpacking trips or even long weekend hikes, I like this one that is sold under several different names in Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc. It is 1.5 oz, runs on a single AAA battery and good enough for at night and an emergency night hike.

I used to use a Photon II, but found it gets 'wonky' over time. I also like the fact that I can find a AAA battery pretty much anywhere.

In the end, though, it is just a headlamp. Let's be honest..if you are hiking all day, in the end you are using it for going to the bathroom, writing in your journal and maybe using it to check out "What the hell was that noise?" at 2am in the morning.

Any light will work in the end.

Don' sweat it.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I've become a big fan of the Wally World headlamp (3 LED Energizer model). Not only is it $12..it comes with batteries!

The red LED is esp useful for night hiking (when I need to look at a map, pull something out of my pack, etc) when I do not want to ruin my night vision. I have also found the red LED useful for hut trips when I do not want to wake up people. The headlamp has become my go-to headlamp. Use it for night hikes all the time (I love night hiking!). I always have it stashed in my pack.

When I am doing longer backpacking trips or even long weekend hikes, I like this one that is sold under several different names in Lowes, Home Depot, Target, etc. It is 1.5 oz, runs on a single AAA battery and good enough for at night and an emergency night hike.

I used to use a Photon II, but found it gets 'wonky' over time. I also like the fact that I can find a AAA battery pretty much anywhere.

In the end, though, it is just a headlamp. Let's be honest..if you are hiking all day, in the end you are using it for going to the bathroom, writing in your journal and maybe using it to check out "What the hell was that noise?" at 2am in the morning.

Any light will work in the end.

Don' sweat it.
    Hey Mags, I use this same lamp..Pretty usefull. I also use it for Astronomy when looking through the telescope so I dont lose my night vision..Very nice light..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Hey Mags, I use this same lamp..Pretty usefull. I also use it for Astronomy when looking through the telescope so I dont lose my night vision..Very nice light..
    THey sells the Energizer 3 LED model in Target now, too. Except now it $10 with batteries!

It is a great deal for a fairly light, all purpose headlamp. The red LED is what really makes it useful for me personally.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Journal Entries
    Images

For At I would use my Petzl. But If I was purchasing one again I'd just get . . . (now don't everyone crucify me) a Walmart headlamp. Why: I found I did not do any night hikes, used it not very much, mostly in tent. So save the money, spend it elsewhere. This just my opinion. They are all opinions.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I just swapped out 2 of the 4 white LEDs in my Everyready headlamp for ultrabright green ones and I like it. Now I have red, green, white and white/green light options. Thinking about changing the last 2 white ones to green also, since I bought 5 of the green LEDs. Got about another week to decide..
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I ended up buying the Princeton Tec Remix.
    One super bright led and 3 green.
    I read somewhere that the green led lights are more energy efficient.

I like Black Diamond, I found it was very hard when loading batteries on a princeton tec headlamps.

I've been using a Princeton Tec Matrix for the past three years and haven't needed anything more. I like the PT products because they're watertight. I've had problems with some old Black Diamond products in that regard, but I'm not up on what they offer currently.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I use a Petzel e-lite. If I was going to be doing serious night hiking I would go with something brighter, but generally not needed. I can always use one of my NiteRider biking lights that but out 300 -500 lumens if needed.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

mountain wildman, you should check out zebralight.

The red lense is a must

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++