WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Checking a pack on a plane

Anything I should be concerned with?

No fuel.
    Might be wise to put it all in some kind of big bag so straps or hiking sticks/tent poles don't get caught in their equipment.

Personally, I don't worry about these kind of things but I know many do. (but I would never attempt to take more fuel than what's in my bic lighter)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    No fuel.
    Might be wise to put it all in some kind of big bag so straps or hiking sticks/tent poles don't get caught in their equipment.

Personally, I don't worry about these kind of things but I know many do. (but I would never attempt to take more fuel than what's in my bic lighter)
    agree. i use a $6 walmart duffel bag and leave at hostel.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

airlines take no responsibility for anything on the OUTSIDE of a bag. Straps, buckles, etc... if these get broken due to airline handling, they do not replace/do not care.

put it in a duffle that you don't care about and are ready to thrown away/donate when you've reached your destination.

Things to be concerned about: theft, delayed arrival of luggage, lost luggage, or items in luggage damaged. Add to that these days the increasingly common charge to check even a single bag/box/whatever.

Search this site for other threads along this line for more discussion; some recent threads include
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56827
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57938
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54521

I don't mean to stifle new discussion of the topic with those threads (!), but it also seems a little crazy if you're interested in a variety of input to ignore recent discussion.

My own opinion is that an alternative to the (great) idea from Kayak Karl above about a cheap duffel bag is to get a cardboard box of sufficient size. For me, with a lot of relatively light and somewhat expensive gear, I prefer the box so as not to, for example, risk that my carbon fiber trekking poles will get broken.

From boxing things up, a potential next step is to mail it to the destination ahead of time when that's an option. Again, with airlines charging for checked baggage, this has become a more credible option in terms of total travel cost.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Images

Haven't checked thru the threads, but how about a large plastic tote?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

No gasoline stoves, either, even empty. Some airlines will be ok but why risk it?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

This crap is why I try to take the train. I can put up with the tiny seats and TSA's security theatre, but I don't like handing over things like my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag to a stranger.

Images

I fly a lot with my Osprey pack. They have a bag to stuff the pack into called an Airporter. Walmart duffel works too. Last fall Air Canada let me carry on. That was a shocker. It didn't fit in the overhead so the flight attendant put it in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    This crap is why I try to take the train. I can put up with the tiny seats and TSA's security theatre, but I don't like handing over things like my Western Mountaineering sleeping bag to a stranger.

Most airlines let you carry on one bag of appx 22"x14"x9" in size. If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size you are carrying too much stuff.

I would suggest taking two cheap duffel bags that you would not mind parting with (or mail them home) -- one for carry on; one to be checked.

In the the checked one put - knife, stove, tent pegs, hiking poles, tent poles, metal spork, any liquids or semi liquids such as toothpaste, etc anything either prohibited by TSA or that they might harass you over even if not prohibited and your pack if it is too large for carry-on.

In the carry-on one start by loading the expensive stuff...down sleeping bag, goretex rain coat, tent, etc.

If you can't fit it all in the carry on bag put the remaining less expensive stuff such foam sleeping pad or ramon noodles in the checked bag.

Do not pack fuel, lighters, or aerosol cans in either one, buy when you get to destination.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Solid advice about putting your pack in a gear bag. I have 2 quater size holes in the pack that I used on the JMT that was caused by the pack getting stuck on baggage conveyor.
    The journey of 10,000 miles, begins with the first step.

Images

"If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size......................"
    You assume too much, JustaTouron.

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    "If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size......................"
    You assume too much, JustaTouron.

I bet there are some UL folks who would claim you should be able to fit ALL, not just most. But either way it is more than enough space for even a heavy packer to not worry about the airlines losing the really expensive gear.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

I see our point JustaTouron. I've always checked the whole lot and hoped for the best.
    When Air Canada let me on with my pack in a bag, it had a stove (no fuel) and my Swiss Army knife (It has a 4 inch blade.) shhhhhhhh
    Then I get to Toronto Pearson Airport and customs waves me through.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Most airlines let you carry on one bag of appx 22"x14"x9" in size. If you can't fit most of your gear in a bag that size you are carrying too much stuff.

I would suggest taking two cheap duffel bags that you would not mind parting with (or mail them home) -- one for carry on; one to be checked.

In the the checked one put - knife, stove, tent pegs, hiking poles, tent poles, metal spork, any liquids or semi liquids such as toothpaste, etc anything either prohibited by TSA or that they might harass you over even if not prohibited and your pack if it is too large for carry-on.

In the carry-on one start by loading the expensive stuff...down sleeping bag, goretex rain coat, tent, etc.

If you can't fit it all in the carry on bag put the remaining less expensive stuff such foam sleeping pad or ramon noodles in the checked bag.

Do not pack fuel, lighters, or aerosol cans in either one, buy when you get to destination.
    The problem is that when you fly from a one horse airport to another one horse airport you fly on regional jets and they gate check your carry on as well. It is not as bad as checking it through the counter, but it is still turning it over to someone who doesn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    The problem is that when you fly from a one horse airport to another one horse airport you fly on regional jets and they gate check your carry on as well. It is not as bad as checking it through the counter, but it is still turning it over to someone who doesn't care.
    I have never heard of an airline losing gate checked lugguge on those types of flights. If your luggage is not properly packed something could get crushed. I would feel safer gate checking luggage than sticking it under a bus on greyhound where every stop people would have access to steal it without me seeing and not finding out until a couple of cities later.

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    I
    When Air Canada let me on with my pack in a bag, it had a stove (no fuel) and my Swiss Army knife (It has a 4 inch blade.) shhhhhhhh
    Then I get to Toronto Pearson Airport and customs waves me through.
    Was this pre- or post- 9/11/01?

Images

Last year flying from Portland, ME to Charlotte and then Toronto. It flew as stored luggage from Maine to North Carolina. Then carry on after that.

2010 complete

If checking luggage, I only do non stop flights. The times that my luggage was lost involved connecting flights. Also, mark it with something distinguishable like bright orange tape so there is NO mistake at baggage p/u. Mail your stove ahead unless brand new. Buy fuel when you arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++