WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Care Package ideas

I'm starting my thru in 3 weeks! My friends and family are asking me what they can send me in a care package. I have a few ideas, but I'd like to get a better list together.

Any suggestions? And for those of you who have done a thru was there anything you received in a care package that was a particularly nice surprise?

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Mint View Post
    I'm starting my thru in 3 weeks! My friends and family are asking me what they can send me in a care package. I have a few ideas, but I'd like to get a better list together.

Any suggestions? And for those of you who have done a thru was there anything you received in a care package that was a particularly nice surprise?
    first of all congrats i have never done a thru but i would imagine things like fresh socks, batteries, some of your favorite flavor hard candies or mints (that way they dont melt)...care packages for a thru hiker is hard to think of..given that everything in the box adds to your pack weight and you have to carry it..
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    first of all congrats i have never done a thru but i would imagine things like fresh socks, batteries, some of your favorite flavor hard candies or mints (that way they dont melt)...care packages for a thru hiker is hard to think of..given that everything in the box adds to your pack weight and you have to carry it..

OO fruit leather cant forget fruit leather
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

I would think of things that you enjoy eating but are too heavy to carry. You could eat those things the day you pick up the package, dispose of the waste, and not have to worry about taking it with you.

Come up with a list of homemade food like cookies, trail mix, etc that will taste a whole lot better than what you would get in a store.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Homemade cookies.
    If not homemade, then the best they can find.
    Everything else is just stuff for the hiker boxes.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

make sure you tell them not to send too much, because anything you can't eat or don't want has to be bumped, given away, packed out , or trashed! good luck on your hike! happy trails! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The best pkg I got was before the SMokies with a couple MH meals and desserts, the space ice cream, etc. Agree - have them mail you homemade cookies to enjoy in town. They won't last long around your hiking buds, though.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Partly it depends on whether you are planning to buy as you go or do maildrops. If you intend to buy as you go, then anything that isn't readily available along the trail is nice i.e. fancy dried fruit (strawberries, mango, blueberries, pineapple, etc.) or dehydrated veggies (friends sent us broccoli etc. when I complained about the lack of vegetables) or dehydrated hamburger or an occasional fancy freeze dried meal. Maybe food from the exotic foods aisles at the grocery that would make a change from the usual Lipton dinners. (But beware of dried squid, it was nasty!)

In any case, good cookies, logan bread/fruitcake, fudge, brownies, etc. are always welcome.

I had a friend who sent me newspaper clippings that he thought would interest me - odd news from home, funny stories, comics, etc. They made good reading in town.

Journal Entries
    Images

Maps.

And, as already noted, baked goodies. I would suggest more than needed because they will get eaten.

What you don't want is anything heavy that is not really necessary. Impress upon friends and family that YOU have to carry whatever they send, unless of course you eat it right away.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

You should ask for boxes of thin mints.....You need to always have them on hand if you want to keep your trail name.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Here are some things friends have sent to me:
    Baked goods from Mom, the larger the quantity the better, 'cause you'll most likely have other hikers around. That's pretty much the only "useful" thing.

Friends have also sent me:
    Alcohol, snuff, Chuck Norris poster, VHS video tapes, enormous sombrero, hotdog shaped hat, individually wrapped single paper towel, magic tricks, Mad Libs, small dinosaurs that grow when they absorb water, cigars, bottle opener keychains, Mentos, Bobble Heads, glow sticks, medical supplies, and many other "useless" things.

I enjoyed every package I received.

(note: many of these items were sent as revenge care packages from other hikers I've sent packages to in years past)
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Homemade cookies.
    If not homemade, then the best they can find.
    Everything else is just stuff for the hiker boxes.
    Second on the homemade cookies - my brother thru'd and loved getting cookies. Also appreciated dried veggies that could be rehydrated and added to mac n cheese
    Letters from home!

Cookies, brownies, and pound cake.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    You should ask for boxes of thin mints.....You need to always have them on hand if you want to keep your trail name.
    haha... I don't know why that wasn't on my list yet. I was given a package of thin mints from someone else's care package while sectioning a few years ago.

My best surprise in a care package?
    A fifth of Wild Turkey, in Duncannon Pa.

MINI LIQUORS and LOVE

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
    MINI LIQUORS and LOVE
    tsk tsk tsk... now you know alcohol is forbidden in state parks...

++ New Posts ++