WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cell phone coverage

Because I am from Portland, Oregon, I don't know what the best cell phone coverage for the AT will be. I just want to use it in the towns as I pass through to call in to my family. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bigfoot (scheduled to begin some time in March depending on weather).

Images

I have a Tracphone, I know for sure it works from Connecticut to the White Mountains of New Hampshire where I live.

Images

They're all spotty. Generally work in town, on peaks and at major road crossings. Most people use AT&T or Verizon. Some people (including me) used a prepaid phone. I used a Tracfone and had service comparable to the major carriers.

I've used an AT&T Gophone on section hikes in GA and NC, good coverage except around Standing Indian Mtn. Don't use TMobile, their coverage sucks in the mountains.

Verizon has the best coverage overall. In spots where you cannot get a signal to call, you can often still get a text message through.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams
    Thoreau

Verizon has the best network coverage of any of the major cell companies. Go to the Verizon and AT&T home pages, you can check the coverage for the trail by zooming in on their coverage maps.

That said, no carrier is going to provide 100% coverage the whole way. The reason tracphone, etc work is the providers all have roaming agreements. Most US carriers are CDMA (Verizon, Sprint, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by d'shadow View Post
    Verizon has the best coverage overall. In spots where you cannot get a signal to call, you can often still get a text message through.
    d'shadow is right.

I used it to call 911 at the Poplar Ridge Lean-to for a female hiker who had a pine bough go through her leg coming down Saddleback Mountain, JR. Took Search and Rescue 4 hours to get her off the top of the mountain and to the hospital in Rangeley, ME

Thank goodness for Verizon coverage!

++ New Posts ++