WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Things to do on a thru-hike

So as im planning my thru hike for 2013 i got to thinking. What do you do on your spare time, or do you have any? When i went on my week long hike with my brothers we had each other to talk to and thats what we did to pass the time, but on the thru-hike ill be going alone.
    Is there anything that you bring that doesnt way a ton that you use to pass time, or are you just to "beat" from the trail that you want to eat and crash?

thanks in advance for the input!

i always carry an AM/FM radio, crossword puzzles and usually a paperback book

Images

Second the book. Hiking or not, I'm never without one.

You will usually have a lot of folks hanging around the shelters when you get there each night. Early on, the days will be rather short and you will be tired enough to just go to sleep when the sun sets (or shortly after). As you get into trail shape and the days get longer, you may find you have extra time to do things.

I like taking a deck of cards. Also a book if you like to read. The year I hiked, Walkman's were the rage. now its iPods.

Images

I read a book, write in my journal, and look over my maps and maybe guidebook for the next day.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

I just thought of something and am wondering if anyone has tried it.

The Amazon Kindle is thin and light and can store tons of books and the battery is pretty good, and i imagine that by 2013 they will be even lighter with better battery life.

has anyone ever brought this with them?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmsart87 View Post
    I just thought of something and am wondering if anyone has tried it.

The Amazon Kindle is thin and light and can store tons of books and the battery is pretty good, and i imagine that by 2013 they will be even lighter with better battery life.

has anyone ever brought this with them?
    It would have to be VERY well waterproofed and this isn't a consideration in current designs. It takes effort to keep many digital cameras from having issues after several days of misty conditions, where humidity seeps into everything.

My camera and my headlamp are my only electronics.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Stand or sit around the fire talking until dark about nothing really. Then go in your tent and read a from a paperback or magazine. Pick up a new book by switching it off in a hostel or shelter when you finish one. Or, if you keep a journal, write in it. Massage your feet.

Remember, it is getting dark before 7pm until the time changes in March. Then it gets dark before 8pm but it still feels like 7pm.

On special occasions:

Night before going into town do a food inventory, look at how many days your next section will be and count how many meals you need to buy food for. If you've carried food through two resupplies and haven't eaten it, you're not going to want it later so get rid of it.

Once a week, clip your fingernails and toenails.

Tape your shoes together with duct tape or fix whatever needs it.

Sort through your stuff again to see what you can get rid of at the next town.

Slingshot.
    My time is spent on the trail.
    When in camp, i'm usually sleeping. (unless the weather is terrible, then i play my guitar)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

[QUOTE=cmsart87;971133

has anyone ever brought this with them?[/QUOTE]

I own one and there is no doubt in my mind that if I took it on a thru I'd break it. Paperbacks are a better bet.

I'm sure I could baby it over a weekend trip -- but at what they cost why risk it -- but no way over 6 months.

Can't start a fire with a Kindle or use it for toilet paper, either.

Well, you could use it for toilet paper ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post

I like taking a deck of cards. ,

I have read (i think here) that a deck of cards can be very useful if you get lost and don't know how to get back to civization or the trail.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I have read (i think here) that a deck of cards can be very useful if you get lost and don't know how to get back to civization or the trail.
    Here is how.....

If you get lost, start playing a game of solitare. With in 15 mins someone will come by and tell you to put the red 4 on the black 5. Follow that person to civilization.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

thanks for the tip about the humidity, didnt even cross my mind that it would be an issue, i guess paperback and maybe some brain games it is, but i have a feeling for the first month or so ill probably crash anyways

For me it was books, cards and an MP3 player. I learned to play cribbage on the AT.

Lots of options as previous posters have mentioned.

What would help make the hike enjoyable for you? Even tho' it's a long walk there's lots of ways to entertain yourself and enjoy the day as best you can - books, photography, miniature game boards and cards, etc. - or just doing nothing, and often time in the day to do so.

In 1982 a couple thru hikers carried 2 miniature pigs that were tossed like dice and scored according to how they fell - the highest score won the game. That was something we grew to look forward to at the end of the day and it often brought alot of laughs - .

I find long distance hiking more enjoyable if I take time to do the activities I truly enjoy - yes there are days when miles are the priority, but there's alot of opportunities yet to be discovered.

Have fun and good luck!

Images

Met some hikers this year that carried the dice and score pad or two for Yathazee had been a few years since I played but was a lot of fun and didn't take much to do. you could also learnt he rules for Mankala you can always build a "board in the dirt and I am sure you will have no problems with finding rocks.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I read a book, write in my journal, and look over my maps and maybe guidebook for the next day.
    Me too. There's not much time for anything else when hiking all day is your plan. That's what I do: hike all day. No lounging around half the day "camping."
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

would it be safe to "adventure" to maybe take pictures, or just check something out? or is there not really anything worth setting up camp and taking a stroll.

and by safe meaning you being safe and your pack being safe?

Last time i went hiking i didnt meet anyone that i didnt really not trust on the trail, but i dont know if it will be the same. Obviously common sense is your best friend on that matter.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    With the exception of the book, that is what I do as well.

A hike of the AT (usually) means you are hiking all day. Even if "only" doing 12 MPD on average. You are often tired at night. Getting to camp early and exploring the area is not typically done...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++