WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Good day hikes in the Albuquerque area?

Any whiteblazers from the ABQ area? I just moved here a few weeks ago and have been trying to get some strenuous day hikes in in advance of my AT thru in April to test some of my gear. What I've noticed though is that the Sandia is accumulating a nice winter frosting - a trail I hiked on a couple weeks ago turned into knee-high snow which normally wouldn't be an insurmountable problem except the trail itself disappeared unnavigably and completely into the drifts. I see snow adding and not subtracting to this pile over the coming months, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good trails that I can get out on for at least 5hrs without having to turn around, maybe something on a south-facing side of the mountain with minimal shade?

If anyone can offer a suggestion, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Images

The La Luz trail is about 16 miles round trip, so yeah, you'll have to turn around, although you could hike about a mile south across the crest and take the tram back down, and then hike back north to your car....so it'd probably be 10-11 miles total. If you hit the top of Sandia right now, watch for ice. I slipped and landed hard on my hip up there several years ago...at that rock house. The La Luz is the dry side facing the city. Even though it won't have as much snow, some of the scree fields may be covered in snow. I suggest using trekking poles with snow cups to help prevent a serious injury there. It's the most popular trail in New Mexico, so it's pretty much guaranteed that someone has already broken the trail for you.

There's also some nice hikes in the Jemez mountains. There's a couple hot springs up there, although expect some naked dudes, and also some of the hot springs are barely lukewarm.

If you have a few days, there's a rarely used trail that goes to a crash site that's several decades old. You'll probably have to bushwhack your way out there. Bring a lot of water and something to treat water. I tried going out there in the early spring and didn't make it due to all the brush and finishing off 10 liters of water after 2 days...I didn't get anywhere close either.

Default Petroglyph National Monument

Quote Originally Posted by v5planet View Post
    Any whiteblazers from the ABQ area? I just moved here a few weeks ago and have been trying to get some strenuous day hikes in in advance of my AT thru in April to test some of my gear. What I've noticed though is that the Sandia is accumulating a nice winter frosting - a trail I hiked on a couple weeks ago turned into knee-high snow which normally wouldn't be an insurmountable problem except the trail itself disappeared unnavigably and completely into the drifts. I see snow adding and not subtracting to this pile over the coming months, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of some good trails that I can get out on for at least 5hrs without having to turn around, maybe something on a south-facing side of the mountain with minimal shade?

If anyone can offer a suggestion, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
    It isn't a strenious hike, but I found the Petroglyph National Monument to be an interesting day hike. Finding the petroglyphs is a bit like hunting for Easter Eggs. About the time you are ready to give up, you find another one.
    Shutterbug

I second that about the petroglyphs. It isn't difficult at all but its so interesting to see. Also of interest to me during my time there was the area around Valles Caldera, which is about an hour or two away.

When I was in 6th grade or so my family and I came out here on vacation and did that Petroglyph hike. Maybe I should revisit it, I remember it being pretty fun, yeah.

Everything above 8000' is going to have snow covering it for a couple of months. We got half way up Sandia 3 weeks ago before this latest round of storms hit.

The Petroglyphs trail will be clear but you will have to lap several times to get the conditioning you want.

If you want a workout, rent or buy a pair of snowshoes and go to the backside of Sandia Peak. Plenty of folks up there above the ski area so you would be safe doing your own thing (properly -prepared). Humping it at 10,600' will be a really great workout.

I know all the other trails within a 90 mile radius so ask this summer when you get off the trail.

The TWA crash site trail is curently snowed in - we go there once a year before the brambles take over. Kind of a spooky place......

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post

There's also some nice hikes in the Jemez mountains. There's a couple hot springs up there, although expect some naked dudes, and also some of the hot springs are barely lukewarm.
    Thanks for the (8 yr old) tip. Definitely top of my list. ;D

Has anyone hiked the Pino Trail?

++ New Posts ++