Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pants or not?

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Default Pants or not?

I can't decide if i want to wear pants or not in the desert. I have a pair of KUHL zip offs that I absolutely love but they are a slightly heavy cotton/nylon material. They are by far some of the most comfortable pants i've ever worn, but i can't decide if i want to hike in them or not.

If I decide not to i'll probably wear either a pair of soccer shorts or my kilt. Can't decide yet and was hoping for some advice to point me in one direction or another.

I'm not overly concernd about getting sunburnt either. I tan well.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Images

wear what ever is comfortable. hyoh! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I wore Railriders' Eco-Mesh pants which have mesh sides that you unzip to expose. The pair I had was only abou 10oz (only a few more then most shorts and less then all zip-offs that I 've seen). They vent very well. I liked them enough that I ended up hiking most of the trail to Washington with them.

If it's hot and you are hiking in forest, I do think shorts is the cooler way to go. However, covering up with lightweight loose layers in hot direct sunlight can be cooler. That said, many hikers do fine with shorts, even in the deserts. It comes down to a personal preferrence.

ive walked in wool pants in 90 degree sun and felt cool.lots of things work.
    matthewski

I hate hate hate wearing pants in summer, but I manned up and bought a pair of BPL Thorofare pants when they were on sale at the end of December. I imagine the Railriders pants are better because of the venting, but the BPL pants are nice and veeeery light. I figure I can always switch out with my shorts at some point later in the hike if I decide I don't like pants.

Also, when I saw the name of the original post (Pants or not?) I was really hoping the question would be something like "should I wear pants or a shirt on the trail?" :-D

Images

My REI Sahara pants are pretty thin. I can't really compare them to shorts though since I've barely wore shorts in the last 10 years. I would like to make mesh versions for the bottom part of my convertible pants as a substitute to Ecomesh pants. I like the Ecomesh pants, but I don't think I'd like them for areas where I'd have to ford creeks.

I read a jourtnal once from a 99 thru hike where this chick walked up on a guy hiking naked. She walked with him for a while and stripped too. I was laughing while reading that journal. I think it was on Trailspace when Wingfoot was still around.

I have a few pairs of Mountain Hardwear shorts that weigh very little and I wear em in the summer months.

Images

Default Go with the kilt

I wore my Sportkilt hiking kilt for the whole trail. It was originally blue but faded in all the sun to a pinkish hue. Plus for the kilt over the shorts: better ventilation and a bit of shade for the legs. I put sun block on portions of my legs at first. After a few weeks, I had developed enough tan thru the sun block that I didn't need it anymore.

You won't see as many kilts on the PCT as on the AT. In 08, there were only three that I know of, myself, Squarl, and Yukon Cornelius.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

I wore pants the whole way. I always hike in pants. Temperature has nothing to do with it. I like the sun protection and the protection from bugs and brush. I wore shorts only when it rained and on the last full day on the trail. It was sunny that day and I got a sunburn.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

When it's hot, do what the locals do who are used to being out there.
    Take note of what the Mexican illegals are wearing. Or local farmers, landscape, roofers, etc.
    None of them are wearing shorts (that I've seen)
    They cover up for a reason.
    Long pants, long sleeve shirts, big sun hat. (preferably straw)
    Proper desert attire.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    When it's hot, do what the locals do who are used to being out there.
    Take note of what the Mexican illegals are wearing. Or local farmers, landscape, roofers, etc.
    None of them are wearing shorts (that I've seen)
    They cover up for a reason.
    Long pants, long sleeve shirts, big sun hat. (preferably straw)
    Proper desert attire.
    Do this and leave your sunscreen and bug repellent at home, too. Bring a head net for the Sierra.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

If you aren't worried about your legs becoming sunburnt there is no reason I can see to wear pants in the desert. I always wear shorts in the desert because they are lightweight and breathable. Pants are hot, heavy and sweaty. Shorts are the way to go (unless you sunburn easily).

Happy trails,
    Erik the Black
    Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 2nd Edition
    Pocket-sized Pacific Crest Trail Maps

My Blog: Erik The Black's Backpacking Blog

Rainpants over thermals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Erik The Black View Post
    If you aren't worried about your legs becoming sunburnt there is no reason I can see to wear pants in the desert.
    Dusty, sweaty, hairy legs are hard to clean on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Do this and leave your sunscreen and bug repellent at home, too. Bring a head net for the Sierra.
    Hmm - CDT twice, Canadian Rockies 3 times, Alaska, AT (Mass/Conn), PCT (Sierras/Oregon) - lots of mosquitos, hell, millions of them. But I've never once used the headnet. Even though I carried it sometimes. Gonna leave it behind this year - again. Deet works. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Hatfield View Post
    Rainpants over thermals.
    Works for Washington if it's rainy and cold. Otherwise the Trail is too hot for that combination.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Dusty, sweaty, hairy legs are hard to clean on the trail.
    They're even harder to clean on the PCT. But even the pants won't keep you clean. The pounded horsecrap dust is too fine and too ubiquitous. It'll go right through even Supplex pants.

Plan on getting dirty.

And using running shoes makes it even worse for your feet. Wash your feet whenever possible - but don't use the drinking water from the caches. Yeah - that's happened, too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by oso loco View Post
    . But I've never once used the headnet. Even though I carried it sometimes. Gonna leave it behind this year - again. Deet works. YMMV
    I hope this does not jinx you with the bugs.

Images

I'd rather wear mesh than use deet. Supposedly the high lakes are getting contaminated by deet, so that's another reason to go with mesh. Mesh weighs less, isn't sticky or smelly, doesn't soak into your skin and create a health risk that we'd only find out about decades from now, and doesn't randomly form a leak that will circumvent all your precautions and get all over your gear.

I wear shorts when hiking in the desert, because my legs get so hot. Supplex pants turn into a sweatbox. When I used to wear cotton pants I didn't have that problem. But they weren't as good protection against mossies. I wear Supplex pants and shirt at night, in camp, to keep the bugs off. Deet goes on the back of my hands and the edge of my face. It works. I can't breathe when wearing a headnet. Claustrophobia hits and I feel like I'm suffocating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++