WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

New to the site and enjoying the trailphone. Didnt know it existed but it is nice to hear the voice and curious to see how Chef changes. Good timing on following a thru hiker.

Just planning for 2020!!

Just to let folks know... Hipcast and Gabcast are similar services that will also integrate with your Blogger or Wordpress blog.

Gabcast seems to be easiest to deal with. Setup account, dial in number, record your message, shows up on your blog.

Just an option if thee are folks out there who like the thought of audio updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Shaft View Post
    New to the site and enjoying the trailphone. Didnt know it existed but it is nice to hear the voice and curious to see how Chef changes. Good timing on following a thru hiker.

Just planning for 2020!!
    I was wondering about Chef, hope everything is ok, he hasn't left a message in 5 days. Perhaps its his battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I agree! I used TrailPhone, Trailjournals, and YouTube on last years hike. People liked all the different formats but consistently complimented the audio updates.
    Just checked some of your TJ page out, you certainly documented your trip well!

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hikingff77 View Post
    Just checked some of your TJ page out, you certainly documented your trip well!

Thanks.
    hikingff77, I appreciate the nice words! Kudos goes to my transcriber (Ron) who kept the site up to date.

"I was wondering about Chef, hope everything is ok, he hasn't left a message in 5 days. Perhaps its his battery."
    On the PCT my approach was to type up a journal entry for literally every trail day, just a sort of standard thing-to-do after dinner and before sleep. I start on the AT in 10 days, and intend to do the same thing.

But I certainly couldn't upload journal entries every day. Likely more cell towers in range along the AT, but still --- it's partly battery power, it's partly having (good enough) cell reception, and it's partly just having the time to do it. I got my trail name on the PCT from taking a break after cresting a ridge to upload a few days worth of collected journal entries. Photos make it even more of a wild card; I typically upload a photo for some but not every day's worth, but this takes more upload time (and bytes).

It could be that Chef Rich is in the habit of calling in his updates at the end of each day, which makes the "where's the nearest cell tower" a bigger factor.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    They last posted January 27th, I think they gave up.
    They were so positive thinking that I believe they just holed up at home, waiting for this winter onslaught to lighten up a bit. I'll bet they will be journaling their walk again pretty soon.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SawnieRobertson View Post
    They were so positive thinking that I believe they just holed up at home, waiting for this winter onslaught to lighten up a bit. I'll bet they will be journaling their walk again pretty soon.--Kinnickinic

That's what I think. There was a long gap between their start date and their updates. They posted a large amount of journals, all at once. I'm expecting them to update soon.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    Check out Brenda and Tom Carrington Journals. They left 01 January 2010 and made it to Hiawassee before the first snow storm hit and decided to take a few zero days before attempting to resume.
    its been over 2 weeks since their last post...i hope they didn't leave the trail! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Images

I don't think missing a few days right now means someone has given up. I have been watching the Weather Channel religiously and it has been snowing on the Georgia, NC and TN sections of the trail pretty much every day in February. If someone decides to hit a hostel for a week I can't blame them. If they're trudging through I doubt they have much time to worry about their trail journal. I bet if we stick with these journals we'll get updates soon enough with some more incredible weather stories.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy Yates View Post
    Check out Brenda and Tom Carrington Journals. They left 01 January 2010 and made it to Hiawassee before the first snow storm hit and decided to take a few zero days before attempting to resume.
    I was impressed that a couple of such tenure would attempt a thru so early, but she hasnt posted since they left trail 1/31

OK, so I'm listening to Chef Rich's update that posted today, but in the message he says "Feb 11,12,13" so it's taken a while to post.... anyway he's off the trail due to deep snow and blow-downs - sounded as if he plans to get back on somewhere down the road, but not clear as to when or where.
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Images

Second Stage is in Franklin and warming up. She and Farmah are two that I have been following pretty close.

He hasn't updated TJ but Takethisbread dropped me a line and said he is doing ok it was cold and snowy just like it has been all winter up here so no big shake. He did say a lot of folks were getting off trail due to weather not sure if for good or just for a few days. Maybe a bit of both.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Saw takethisbread two days ago. He's with Old Man River. He looks good and was in good spirits.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cool AT Breeze View Post
    Saw takethisbread two days ago. He's with Old Man River. He looks good and was in good spirits.
    Cool he is moving right along then.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Unhappy

Chef Rich posted on trailphone that the trail is impassable from somewhere past Nantahala Center to Fontana Dam with heavy blowdowns and widowmakers. Not to mention a foot and a half of snow on the trail. I emailed the ATC, hopefully trail crews will be out soon to clear the blowdowns.

Solitude without lonliness... rjridgely's Avatar

Default The Horse's Mouth (CHEF RICH)

Hey everyone...
    thanks to those who listened to my Trailphone posts.

To Clear up any speculation, wondering or cyber-hiking rumors......

I started Jan 21st from FS42, it was raining hard and did no go to the Springer Summit. It was basically crappy weather and bare ground until I got to Neel Gap. From Neel Gap until within 2-3 miles of NOC I walked in some form of crusty or powder snow, ice, ice steps etc. Thank goodness for my VASQUE Super Alpinista mountaineering boots. Hiawassee Inn IS CLOSED. Something to do with the previous mgrs getting out late last summer and the new mgrs getting busted for running a meth lab mid Jan (accouding to the prev. mgr). Took 2 hours to go 2 miles thru the Rhod's at Dick's Creek gap after the Ice Storm, I really needed a machete....&.....my petzl ice climbing helmet......hit on head 4 times by falling ice and once by a 2" x 3 foot limb over the next 2 days. I encountered one THRU (Nature Boy) @ Rock Gap Shelter and one other THRU (Rocck) @Wayah Shelter. Both younger and faster hiking than thee. I was again alone at NOC...had the entire Bunkhouse system to myself. Met up again with Rocck the morning of my 2nd day at NOC. He had gone ahead of me, made it to Sassafras Gap Sheltrt, tried to head on to Brown Fork Shelter and not omly lost the trail because of blowdowns and un-seeable blazes but was so slowed from his normal pace....he turned around. He called ahead to Stand Bear Hostel and spoke with Curtis who advised that trying the Smokies was ill advised.....2 THRU's (names unk) just took 13 days to get through them and were so badly bruised, cut & worn out that they stayed a day and left the trail.

I did not leave the trail at this point because I was hurt or scared or or mentally unfit / prepared etc. I left because I was for the most part SOLOING. Years and Years of wintering in the NH White Mts. & discussions with both a hiker 30 years younger than me AND a hostel owner who has seen MUCH more over the years than me & my brain (personal survival tool).........all led to my decision.

No right...no wrong...just instinct.

If ya need more details...just ask.....

[email protected]

Chef Rich

PS. APPLE THE TRAIL ANGEL ROCKS THIS WORLD FROM BURNINGTOWN GAP......SORRY LATE STARTERS.... FEBRUARY IS HIS MONTH THIS YEAR.....TOO MANY THRU'S & DAY HIKERS TOOK ADVANTAGE LAST YEAR.... HE WANTED 1 OR 2 REAL HIKERS A DAY TO COMFORT THIS YEAR
    Because whiskey from a tin cup...just tastes better

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I agree! I used TrailPhone, Trailjournals, and YouTube on last years hike. People liked all the different formats but consistently complimented the audio updates.
    I didn't know about TrailPhone either, what a cool site! I just signed up... Maybe this will satisfy everyone that wants me to get the SPOT GPS thinky?

Maybe it is just me, but TrailJournals is kind of a busy website... TrailPhone seems pretty simple for friends and family to check out!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rjridgely View Post
    Hey everyone...
    thanks to those who listened to my Trailphone posts.

To Clear up any speculation, wondering or cyber-hiking rumors......

I started Jan 21st from FS42, it was raining hard and did no go to the Springer Summit. It was basically crappy weather and bare ground until I got to Neel Gap. From Neel Gap until within 2-3 miles of NOC I walked in some form of crusty or powder snow, ice, ice steps etc. Thank goodness for my VASQUE Super Alpinista mountaineering boots. Hiawassee Inn IS CLOSED. Something to do with the previous mgrs getting out late last summer and the new mgrs getting busted for running a meth lab mid Jan (accouding to the prev. mgr). Took 2 hours to go 2 miles thru the Rhod's at Dick's Creek gap after the Ice Storm, I really needed a machete....&.....my petzl ice climbing helmet......hit on head 4 times by falling ice and once by a 2" x 3 foot limb over the next 2 days. I encountered one THRU (Nature Boy) @ Rock Gap Shelter and one other THRU (Rocck) @Wayah Shelter. Both younger and faster hiking than thee. I was again alone at NOC...had the entire Bunkhouse system to myself. Met up again with Rocck the morning of my 2nd day at NOC. He had gone ahead of me, made it to Sassafras Gap Sheltrt, tried to head on to Brown Fork Shelter and not omly lost the trail because of blowdowns and un-seeable blazes but was so slowed from his normal pace....he turned around. He called ahead to Stand Bear Hostel and spoke with Curtis who advised that trying the Smokies was ill advised.....2 THRU's (names unk) just took 13 days to get through them and were so badly bruised, cut & worn out that they stayed a day and left the trail.

I did not leave the trail at this point because I was hurt or scared or or mentally unfit / prepared etc. I left because I was for the most part SOLOING. Years and Years of wintering in the NH White Mts. & discussions with both a hiker 30 years younger than me AND a hostel owner who has seen MUCH more over the years than me & my brain (personal survival tool).........all led to my decision.

No right...no wrong...just instinct.

If ya need more details...just ask.....

[email protected]

Chef Rich

PS. APPLE THE TRAIL ANGEL ROCKS THIS WORLD FROM BURNINGTOWN GAP......SORRY LATE STARTERS.... FEBRUARY IS HIS MONTH THIS YEAR.....TOO MANY THRU'S & DAY HIKERS TOOK ADVANTAGE LAST YEAR.... HE WANTED 1 OR 2 REAL HIKERS A DAY TO COMFORT THIS YEAR
    Dude - hate the font
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++