WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dog waste/pollution

This Associated Press article (2-9-10) about dog feces on trails in Wyoming and water pollution should stand as a lesson for those who bring dogs on the AT. Treat their waste as you would yours -- dispose of it properly.

Dog waste piling up at Wyoming forest trails

The Associated Press
    A smelly problem is piling at trails around Jackson where people go hiking and cross-country skiing with their dogs. How big is this problem? Bridger-Teton National Forest officials say they recently counted 173 piles of dog waste around just one trailhead.
    The problem is so bad, it's contributing to elevated bacteria levels in nearby streams.
    District Ranger Dale Deiter said the situation is "not acceptable." He's promising to step up enforcement so people clean up their dogs' acts.
    Last edited by John B; 02-09-2010 at 20:33. Reason: clarity

Images

I'd be curious to see a comparison study of the impact of dog feces vs human feces on hiking trails.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I don't know I've seen some supposed dog waste that was actually another animal. Didn't know so many dog lovers frequent those places.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

It was around a trailhead where I am sure a lot of day hikers with dogs pass through. But still, dog owners, and I am one with a pup I am training for a thru in 2011, need to pack it out or bury it.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Since John and I were talking about the Yukon Quest in another thread I wondered what you guys would think of all those sleddies pooping on the fly ! those dogs don't even stop running they just go.... and sometimes the mushers gets a face full. In fact, most mushers poop and pee on the sled too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    Since John and I were talking about the Yukon Quest in another thread I wondered what you guys would think of all those sleddies pooping on the fly ! those dogs don't even stop running they just go.... and sometimes the mushers gets a face full. In fact, most mushers poop and pee on the sled too.
    Nice! Not!
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

LOL it ain't for everyone that is for sure

Along this subject line, is it better to bury the dog waste on the side of the trail, or bag it in a bio-degradable bags and toss it in a privy?
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

Images

What do the bears and mice and all the other animals do with their poop? Should we pack theirs out, too? Weasel?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by makoboy View Post
    Along this subject line, is it better to bury the dog waste on the side of the trail, or bag it in a bio-degradable bags and toss it in a privy?
    if they poop on the trail just take a stick and flick it out in the woods. as long as the animal isn't pooping or peeing on a water source it is all good. no different than a deer or a bear.

Images

I just kick it off the trail into the weeds, whether it's my dog's or someone else's. It's just poo, if everyone did this no one would ever be disturbed by it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't see horse riders picking up after themselves.... just saying...
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    ......or their horses either.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I've hiked in clouds of powdered horse manure dust. Not real pleasent. I mostly avoid very horsey areas.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I've hiked in clouds of powdered horse manure dust. Not real pleasent. I mostly avoid very horsey areas.

I remember that on that Bright Angel trail in the Grand Canyon....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Looks like it's a problem at a few very popular/highly advertised trailheads where cityfolk go to experience "nature".

AKA the kind most of us avoid like the plague.

Images

I have buried before, but usually if my pup is signalling that she has to go we get off trail and away from any water. I bury in areas of high traffic and also if she passes anything that is not biodegradable (she likes to chew plastic) I have packed it out. Carry a few extra ziplocks and it is ok.
    -clicker

First: our pet dogs are typically well cared for medically. They are not likely to be carrying many transmitable diseases thanks to modern veterinary care. This is a benefit most wild animals never recieve. So I think there is much more risk from wild beasts. Hell, we rarely hear of anyone contracting rabbies or anything else for that matter, even when bitten by a dog.
    Second: I hike a trail near home that is vertually blanketed by horse waste and NOBODY complains about that. Why?
    Third: It's still widely held by science that your best chance of getting sick is from poor personal hygene. For example, I see people exiting public restrooms all the time without washing hand, and you know you see it too.
    Take a look down the trail, people are still the dirtiest creatures on Earth!
    I do, however, use a stick to flip my dog's waste off the trail into the woods so you don't step in it.

Good to see LNT (Leave No Trace) rules being used. Flipping waste off the trail ranks right down there with all the other foul habits a majority of hikers have. A few weeks ago I hiked out of ASP (hiking with friends attempting a thru-hike) to hwy 76 (Davenport Gap). The volume of non-LNT hikers has this entire section of trail smelling like a privy. Shelter areas need haz-mat attention. Nasty!

Images

The horse manure is pretty bad, especially when it rains. Nope, that ain't ankle-deep MUD. In cities, they have a little bag hooked up. Wonder why people can't use one of those and dump it off the trail? As for LNT, we are animals, too. Take it easy, we belong here. Just keep it tidy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++