WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Um, guys, I've actually met these folks and they're nice people.

And at least they're out here actually hiking, unlike those of you sitting around your folks' house in your pajamas slagging people you've never met and never will.

Honestly, the level of negativity here, especially from folks who've never thru-hiked and never will is staggering.

I've met several hundred hikers in the last few weeks here in Georgia.

Some of them rave about this website and some of them can't stand it, or they visited once or twice and then went elsewhere.

Can't blame them for feeling that way either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post

And at least they're out here actually hiking, unlike those of you sitting around your folks' house in your pajamas slagging people you've never met and never will.

Honestly, the level of negativity here, especially from folks who've never thru-hiked and never will is staggering.

I've met several hundred hikers in the last few weeks here in Georgia.

Some of them rave about this website and some of them can't stand it, or they visited once or twice and then went elsewhere.

Can't blame them for feeling that way either.
    Bill Bryson is probably a pretty nice guy in person as well.

As a matter of fact, he is exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    Bill Bryson is probably a pretty nice guy in person as well.
    yeah and he said funny things about southern folk. i doubt he was a blatant sexist like the gal in question

Images

last time I checked, the website title bar said "Whiteblaze.net - A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts"

I didn't know one had to be a thru hiker to qualify to post here

These folks have a right to enjoy the trail as much as any of us. We have the right to publicly express our opinions about their hike since they are publicly blogging about their hike.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Egads:

Of course you have the right to express yourself and share your opinions.

But insulting and denigrating comments are best made in person, i.e. face to face, or if made on-line, they should be signed.

To do otherwise is gutless as well as rude.

But you're welcome to disagree.

But insulting and denigrating comments are best made in person, i.e. face to face, or if made on-line, they should be signed.

To do otherwise is gutless as well as rude.
    emily is making denigrating and insulting comments online. why does she get a pass? she's gutless and rude

If they didn't want their blog to be discussed on a discussion forum, why did they go to a discussion forum and say "Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike: http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/ Check out the blog and then the link labeled "official site"

So, what, like only "You go grrl" comments are allowed?

From what I've read, I'd move along.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

What happens?

Looks like they continue to act like spoiled, self-entitled, self-absorbed twenty-somethings.

Blisters from new boots

Quote Originally Posted by Plodderman View Post
    Blisters from new Gucci boots
    Fixed.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Question

Do we have this year's "Minnesota Smith" thread?

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

No we don't because this one will be locked down and gone within days.

And good riddance, too.

Maybe her writing is intended to spark interest in a "maybe" video previously mentioned?

Don't misunderstand; I'm not saying she's being untruthful, but perhaps she's exaggerating her experience a bit.
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Maybe her writing is intended to spark interest in a "maybe" video previously mentioned?

Don't misunderstand; I'm not saying she's being untruthful, but perhaps she's exaggerating her experience a bit.
    Possible, I guess. One of the girls is totally ga-ga over that silly "Survivor" show, which is all contrived drama. I suppose this whole incident with Emily barging her way into a stranger's tent could have been exploited on the blog for its drama factor.

Interesting that there is absolutely no mention at all of the documentary on their recent blogs. And I also saw on TJ another hiker mentioning that Brandon has already quit the hike citing an achilles injury. Wonder if that means the movie has been scrapped?

I'm glad that they're great people in person, but that doesn't make them immune from criticism.

These hikers started a blog and posted it for all to read and comment on. All I know is what I've seen in the blog. And right now I don't have a favorable opinion. (mostly formed from the post where Emily didn't have a tent and blamed the negative reactions on sexism) Most hikers wouldn't take her side after reading that story.

You could be the nicest person in three counties but if you post a blog that makes you look like a jerk, peope are gonna think you're a jerk. By opening the blog for discussion she opened herself to negative opnions.
    (Especially when you consider the amount of disdain for whipper-snappery here on WB )

Sure there's a line when it comes to outright harassment but the comments I've seen so far have been appropriate, if occasionally rude.

Note this post isn't just a reply to you but to everyone who's been talking about "negativity"

well i don't know about this gal jumping in a tent with a stranger but if that guy was me there would be a letter sent out...dear penthouse....

even if nothing happened. Sorry but "inviting" yourself into a stranger's bed is at the most innocent rude and on the other end of the spectrum ****ty. Maybe I'm just too old to "Get it" but hey that's my thoughts on the tent incident...

And attitudes of superiority based on education show a high level of immaturity. I am highly educated and don't consider myself superior to anyone...with or without an education. I typically have found that very highly educated folks mellow with age...as life kicks them in the teeth a few times to show them who's really in charge they loose that arrogance.

Folks not "respecting" her...really well hows about her respecting others first...let's start with being prepared. I understand her brother was a Boy Scout. I'd be embarrassed if I was his former Scout Master...no tent on a 6 month trek? yeah that's being prepared---not! I'm on the trail and carrying my own weight--shelter, food water clothes and what not...you choose not to yet you seemingly expect to find these things magically on the trail..usually at the expense of others who are willing to share. That is disrespectful they are taking for granted the kindness of the folks on the trail.

You want respect on the trail show some skills...lets start with the basics like carrying what you need. then we can talk about how many miles you can clock in a day and how long it takes you. I was always taught it's the journey not the destination that was important...I guess that's an old fashion idea too.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Behooved View Post
    Wonder if that means the movie has been scrapped?
    Movie? I want Russel Crowe to play me.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    last time I checked, the website title bar said "Whiteblaze.net - A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts"

I didn't know one had to be a thru hiker to qualify to post here
    No but it would be nice if some of you would refrain from posting about things you know NOTHING about. I am aware that IS most likely to much to ask.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++