WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Images

Hey, I can imagine it being fun to do a food cache in the woods... Totally unnecessary on the AT, but still fun and I think it's a good idea to keep out of towns for a large chunk of time in the beginning (if possible) to acclimatize yourself to trail life. Some people find it difficult to adapt when they go between trail and town so often. (I did, so I avoided towns like the plague for a two weeks span- totally worked)

(I know, I know. ShLep, whad'ya doing on WB during your thru? Hey, there isn't too much to do in Waynesboro and I'm waiting for a friend.)

Jester, I like your post. People change and grow out here.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    He's really from Goose Creek, but didn't want to admit it.
    dam ...

I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Hey, I can imagine it being fun to do a food cache in the woods... Totally unnecessary on the AT, but still fun
    I could agree with it being fun, but a couple of folks have pointed out on their blog that it's illegal. In most national forests, recreation areas, etc, it is indeed illegal unless they are following food storage guidelines for bears, etc, and that usually only pertains to you being in the general vicinity of the food. Obviously in the video they created, putting it in a cardboard box, inside a plastic bag, isn't any kind of proper method for storing food out of the reach of wildlife.

Obviously the food drop was intact and no animals came in contact with it,. but they should point out in the documentary they are creating that it isn't a generally acceptable method.

I bet her sponsors are proud of her behavior

http://sites.google.com/site/athike2010/sponsors

Maybe someone should drop them a line.

Self promotion, sponsors, directing your own movie.

Lostone:

1. I know of half a dozen folks who've written, directed, produced and
    starred in their own Trail films. Several of these folks are well-respected
    members of the Whiteblaze community; neither directing nor promoting
    one's own film is exactly a new concept, nor is there anything wrong with
    it.
    2. Every year there are plenty of folks who seek or attain some sort of
    corporate assistance or sposorship. Once again, this is not a new
    concept.
    3. Hundreds of folks keep Internet journals and they "promote" this at every
    available opportunity. Again, not a new idea.

So I don't really understand your last post. What is so terribly wrong with making a film while hiking; promoting it; and seeking out folks who want to help sponsor your adventure?

This sort of thing is done all the time.

Images

I'd just like to know what it is that makes them think they're "eccentric" (as self-described on their blog). They seem like typical self-absorbed, self-important, somewhat spoiled 20-somethings to me.

I guess it all depends on one's perspective.

I've either been hiking or have been in Trail towns since the end of February, and the typical high-maintenance, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, needy, demanding, and spoiled hikers I met weren't in their 20's.

On the contrary, they tended to be in their 50's or older, and any shuttler, hostel-keeper, or retail employee in a Trail town will confirm this.

Most of the kids I've met this year, i.e. the ones in their twenties, have been just fine.

Oh, and this includes the folks who are the subject of this thread.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Ok, but what exactly makes them "eccentric"?

Images

I'm thinking anyone that drops a "normal" life and hikes for 5 or 6 months could be considered eccentric. People who don't hike or would never consider such a long hike might think anyone that does is deviating from the norms of society.

Quote Originally Posted by FritztheCat View Post
    I'm thinking anyone that drops a "normal" life and hikes for 5 or 6 months could be considered eccentric. People who don't hike or would never consider such a long hike might think anyone that does is deviating from the norms of society.
    Agree. Lots of my non-hiking friends, former friends, and ex-colleagues consider me eccentric or at least strange for backpacking......and I didn't even thruhike.

I've either been hiking or have been in Trail towns since the end of February, and the typical high-maintenance, self-absorbed, self-indulgent, needy, demanding, and spoiled hikers I met weren't in their 20's.

On the contrary, they tended to be in their 50's or older, and any shuttler, hostel-keeper, or retail employee in a Trail town will confirm this.
    I would agree with that. I've spent more time in the southern 100 and the Whites than anywhere and in all the shuttling we've done for free, "eccentricity" really comes alive with folks my age or older. The kids tend to be kids, sometimes rude, sometimes humble, but young enough to still be in awe of their surroundings and what they are trying to accomplish.

Lostone:

1. I know of half a dozen folks who've written, directed, produced and
    starred in their own Trail films. Several of these folks are well-respected
    members of the Whiteblaze community; neither directing nor promoting
    one's own film is exactly a new concept, nor is there anything wrong with
    it.
    2. Every year there are plenty of folks who seek or attain some sort of
    corporate assistance or sposorship. Once again, this is not a new
    concept.
    3. Hundreds of folks keep Internet journals and they "promote" this at every
    available opportunity. Again, not a new idea.

So I don't really understand your last post. What is so terribly wrong with making a film while hiking; promoting it; and seeking out folks who want to help sponsor your adventure?

This sort of thing is done all the time.

So is hiking for a good cause-- but that isn't cool? Hiking to promote ones self- no problem?

I guess it all depends on one's perspective.

Most of the kids I've met this year, i.e. the ones in their twenties, have been just fine.

Not my experience as a hostel and shuttle provider over the years. Youngsters are more likely (not totally) to expect,not respect. Seems the whiners whinning here lately about services on the trail have all been young.

Nean:

I never said hiking for a cause wasn't cool. Please don't put words in my mouth. Most of the folks who hike in order to publicize or raise funds for a worthy cause are great people doing good things. But some of them aren't. I've seen guys use sponsor/donor money to pay for fancy motel rooms, top-shelf booze, and drugs. How do I know this? Because they told me so. So spare us the sanctimony about how wonderful and selfless all these folks are. Some of them are scammers, pure and simple, and you've been around long enough to know that.

Nean:

I never said hiking for a cause wasn't cool. Please don't put words in my mouth. Most of the folks who hike in order to publicize or raise funds for a worthy cause are great people doing good things. But some of them aren't. I've seen guys use sponsor/donor money to pay for fancy motel rooms, top-shelf booze, and drugs. How do I know this? Because they told me so. So spare us the sanctimony about how wonderful and selfless all these folks are. Some of them are scammers, pure and simple, and you've been around long enough to know that.
    I have met one bad apple, true- but that doesn't mean I judge the bushel.

Images

top-shelf booze
    If you guys sponser me, I promise to only buy Ripple.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I think what is rubbing many people the wrong way about these folks is how they act like they're so "special". They come across as spoiled and self-absorbed - and inviting the world to "Follow the adventure of three eccentric travelers" just comes across as pretentious.

Just hike the trail already. If they make it, then sure, nothing wrong with making and promoting a documentary. But at this stage, all the "Look at Us! We're being TALKED ABOUT!" hype comes across as just attention-whoring.

Maybe that's rubbing YOU the wrong way.

What's rubbing me the wrong way is how quick some folks are to judge people they've never met or spoken with, and that applies to almost everyone on this thread.

And as for inviting other people to "share their adventure", well hundreds of people do this every year when they tell folks about their Internet journals.

I don't see that these kids are doing anything different.

They're actually out there hiking while their critics aren't, and THAT's what's rubbing some folks the wrong way.

Maybe that's rubbing YOU the wrong way.

What's rubbing me the wrong way is how quick some folks are to judge people they've never met or spoken with, and that applies to almost everyone on this thread.

And as for inviting other people to "share their adventure", well hundreds of people do this every year when they tell folks about their Internet journals.

I don't see that these kids are doing anything different.

They're actually out there hiking while their critics aren't, and THAT's what's rubbing some folks the wrong way.
    and a person isn't allowed to form an opinion based on their written words? Are we reading this third hand from imposters?

I agree with the rest of what you said and most people do come across different in person.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++