WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Covetree View Post
    You people are awfully quick to judge and assume facts about other people you've never met. In fact I was the one to find a shelter for my two traveling companions before I "bit the bullet" by taking the least appealing sleeping option- alone in a tent with a stranger. By no means was flirting or bullying used to acquire a place in a tent. I'm a friendly person, and so was he so all I had to do was explain my situation. I do have a tent for myself, I didn't have it with me then because we had semi- slack packed for a couple of days.

IF you knew me, you would know that I would never expect anyone to provide something like a tent for me. If you knew me, you would know that when I set out to travel across the U.S. from south to north that I have all the equipment that I will need along the way, not to mention the mental and physical preparedness.

are these not your words?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    Latest Blog entry from http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot....html#comments:

We trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. NoWe trudged on from Neels Gap (in the rain) and when we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. No way! There was a young man who had arrived at the same time as us and was assembling his 2- person tent. I invited myself to sleep in his tent with him for the night, and he obliged. Based on his reaction, I think it's rare for a woman in these parts to be so bold. I was thankful to have a dry and semi-warm place to rest my head for the night. Temperatures that night and the following two nights went below freezing- it was so cold!

The longer I am out here, the more apparent it becomes that the thru-hiking community is predominantly composed of men, many of whom neglect to show me respect and aknowledge that I exist. Some have implied that I shouldn't be out here, and that long distance hiking is a man's leisure activity. After three nights of tolerating these fraternity house attitudes, and enduring the skeptical glances, I decided to show the men why I am out here. On Wednesday morning everyone packed up and moved out to hike the ten miles to Dick's Creek Gap (where we had our box of food hidden). I waited until all the men had started hiking, and then I took off like lightning down the trail. Within five miles, I passed every single one of those men, and I left them eating my trail of dust. I was hoping to show them that I am just as physically and mentally capable as they are. I finished the ten miles in record time, so I sat around waiting and watching as all the men I had passed hours ago arrived. When the man who had been sending dirty looks in my direction arrived, he finally asked me "what's your name?" It worked! I put them all in their place and gained their respect as a fellow thru-hiker.

Bolding mine.

Umm...I really hope she's joking here...she brings no shelter of her own, bullies her way into a total stranger's tent, complains that the men don't respect her, then "put them all in their place" then next day?

Last edited by kanga; 05-04-2010 at 07:47. Reason: ed, those words were nuthatches, not mine. ; P

You may of learned things at school, but life isn't a thing.

Being book smart does not earn a degree in common sense.

I've hiked with and among many women; spent some time on the trail, and I can assure you the problems here are rare indeed.

I have seen it a couple of times before and it's always for the same reason.

Smarty has an attitude.

Images

clear as mud?

.... that usually has a lot to do with it when the mirror is dirty.

humility = the universal solvent

and it is okay to get it in your eyes
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

I'm afraid, Covetree, that it seemed, from your previous posting, like you had, for all practical purposes, badgered the gentleman to give up space in his tent, and that he had no choice in the matter.

It also seemed you were trying to prove that you were better than the men in beating them to your destination. You don't have to prove anything to anybody, only to yourself. You're the only one in charge of your self-worth, and nothing that strangers say or do should change that.

I'm truly sorry if we misunderstood your words. K2
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Images

Hey Ginger,
    My kid's school is having a fun run next week. Maybe you could come up and show them 4th Graders up and put them in their place also.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

mentally and physically prepared...my eye! no tent/shelter for how many people in your group? A largish tarp would have done the trick. Then there would be no need to "invite" yourself into some stranger's tent. Slack packing is one thing but you must realize shelters do fill--especially when its raining...imagine that folks don't want to sleep in the rain unless they have to...therefore you must be prepared for such situations.

you obviously have no concept of human nature.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

What happens when you put a lawyer, an ivy grad, and a city chick on the AT?

You get one of the worst WB threads ever
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    What happens when you put a lawyer, an ivy grad, and a city chick on the AT?

You get one of the worst WB threads ever

+1 on that for sure. To Much Drama.

I'm going hiking, properly equipped of course.
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

These people are crazy, they're hiking and apparently they don't know anything about it? When will they realize that thru-hiking is more then just thinking that they are prepared?

Didn't someone say it's just walking?

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Didn't someone say it's just walking?

Just walking: WITH water, food and shelter. Common sense for most taking a multi day walk.

Even a person who was just doing a day hike would have to be smart enough to bring a coat in the middle of winter...

I think that if you read their blog entries, those of us who remember those days long ago when we weren't hikers will notice a transformation happening that's pretty familiar.

It would be unfair to read selected comments posted here from the beginning of their hike and comment on their character without reading further.

We all came to the trail with the attitudes and beliefs from wherever we were from. These three are no different. Read more than just their first couple of entries and you'll see what I mean, and how their posts change over time.

I would hope that at some point she'll look back at her early entries and realize that it is she who's changed rather than the people around her, but that's a difficult thing to do.

I think it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for everyone to go back to what people here usually do -- root for people to be successful.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Jester is right- people get to the trail with different attitudes- some good, some bad, some still looking down their noses.

Lets forget about what was said and done, was it last month? Time flies! and wish them all well.

The trail teaches all of us if you spend enough time on it.

I must be a slow learner.

I wish I had time to read this strand. Very entertaining if I do say so myself.

- Ringleader

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Too bad she didn't jump into Minnesota Smiths tent.

Bet she would have jumped out.
    WHERE's Minnie when we NEED him?

[And nobody say, "Working for BP in the Gulf of Mexico, last I heard!"]

Darwin:

I just spent a hot afternoon clearing brush and moving rocks.

Your post was very damned funny.

I find this whole concept damned funny. Seriously putting the other stuff aside, as hikers, I want to see them succeed. As for the documentary, it's something I personally wouldn't watch as I have no tolerance for lawyers or Ivy grads. City chicks maybe...

On their blog I noticed some of the videos. The whole survivor attitude isn't one usually associated with backpacking trails on the east coast. The food drop in the forest? <shaking head>

I'm sure their nice folks but the obvious goal here IMHO is to make some money from the trail and that always brings about mixed feelings, especially when their perception of trail life on video is more than likely a distorted one for entertainment value as opposed to what average hikers actually do. ie; the food drop in the forest

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Darwin:

I just spent a hot afternoon clearing brush and moving rocks.

Your post was very damned funny.

Still working on those community service hours, huh? (Please note: This is meant as a light-hearted jab. Its not being moderated nor met with a stern rebuttal would be greatly appreciated.)
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
    Still working on those community service hours, huh? (Please note: This is meant as a light-hearted jab. Its not being moderated nor met with a stern rebuttal would be greatly appreciated.)
    Just cuz you are from Mocksville does not mean you get to mock Jack or anyone else.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Just cuz you are from Mocksville does not mean you get to mock Jack or anyone else.
    He's really from Goose Creek, but didn't want to admit it.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++