WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Too bad she didn't jump into Minnesota Smiths tent.

Bet she would have jumped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    No but it would be nice if some of you would refrain from posting about things you know NOTHING about. I am aware that IS most likely to much to ask.
    Hilarious.

My two highly unnecessary cents: everyone is entitled to an opinion... but there is a lot of heavy-handed JUDGMENT going on both here and in another extremely ridiculous thread.

It is so, so pointless to point fingers at people and ridicule their choices.

So they are marketing themselves and there's a lot of hype on their blog? Who cares?

I really don't think any of their blog has been mean-spirited. I mean, you can discuss the fact that people have thick accents without it being condescending. The majority of that post was about how nice and helpful people were being!

And color me crazy... but I don't see anything wrong with politely asking if a tent could be shared, even if it's with a total stranger. Yes, not carrying a shelter is dumb, but it has been done before. Yes, you may get a rep on the trail... but that's because WB and the Appalachian Trail has a tendency to resemble high school, apparently. Gossip and drama and finger pointing and holier than thou attitudes. Sheesh.

If you look at their gear list you'll see they have a tarp tent squall 2 listed. So who knows? Maybe instead of assuming they don't have a shelter we should stop over-analyzing a simple blog in order to criticize their every single move. Maybe it was a typo and the other two used the tent but she didn't feel like cramming in her wet gear with two other people? WHO KNOWS. I'm not gonna sweat it.

Moral of the story? Lighten up people! Judge not, lest ye be judged! Get off the high horses! Throwing stones and glass houses and blah blah blah.

I don't agree with some of the blog content... but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it. The end.

Journal Entries
    Images

I recall reading a thread somewhere a couple of years ago that read something like this:
    "There's nothing wrong with going ultra light but, be prepared to make do with what you've brought. Don't expect to always be bailed out by someone who has carried what they have all the way to where you are."
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Images

Question

Quote Originally Posted by skinny minnie View Post
    ... but I'm not going to get my panties in a twist over it. The end.
    Too late!!!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Covetree View Post
    Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike:http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/
    Check out the blog and then the link labeled "official site"

WOW!...another BLOGGER....doing a Pseudo Documentary abt the A.T....

How original!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Too late!!!

RainMan

Read the whole sentence. I said I'm not going to get my panties in a twist... over the content of their blog that I don't agree with.

Meaning, I don't like everything they do or say but I'm not going to freak out and lay all these judgments on them. I think this is hands-down the worst aspect of WB. The tendency to leap to conclusions and judge harshly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    last time I checked, the website title bar said "Whiteblaze.net - A Community of Appalachian Trail Enthusiasts"

I didn't know one had to be a thru hiker to qualify to post here

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    No but it would be nice if some of you would refrain from posting about things you know NOTHING about. I am aware that IS most likely to much to ask.
    BJ, not sure why you are quoting me. Care to provide any posts to support your opinion? I haven't insulted anyone with my posts, and you know nothing about my posts because you (like JT) obviously haven't read them either.

In this thread, I've posted

• that WB picks on a thru hiker every season - true

• that she knows how to get in someone else's tent and that is how reputations are made whether anything sexual occurred or not- true

• that I dont expect them to complete their thru hike - true, one has already dropped out
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

You do understand you are being manipulated to garner interest to their documentary and trying to land a job on some reality show. And judging by the pages that have been written about them on White Blaze they are doing a excellent job. By lavishing so much attention on them you have almost guarantee them a hit if they actually finish the trail.
    Remember the adage: There is no such thing as bad publicity. It has made Rush Limbaugh and his ilk hundreds of millions of dollars.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DRRouner View Post
    Remember the adage: There is no such thing as bad publicity. It has made Rush Limbaugh and his ilk hundreds of millions of dollars.
    That's good, right?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

You do understand you are being manipulated to garner interest to their documentary and trying to land a job on some reality show. And judging by the pages that have been written about them on White Blaze they are doing a excellent job. By lavishing so much attention on them you have almost guarantee them a hit if they actually finish the trail.
    This, this and this.

Odds are she pulled the tent stunt to get this particular reaction. Get the "buzz" going, as it were. This is a reality show mentality brought to the AT. Sad to say, ignoring them is the only way to end their silly ploys. Sad, because us folks at WB, myself included, aren't the best at ignoring things.
    Yahtzee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    That's good, right?
    Thank you for proving my point.

Oh, Egads, lighten up.

I did indeed read your post.

And no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to post here, tho there sure are a lot of NON thru-hikers telling folks all about how it should be done, how it shouldn't be done, speculating on people's chances of completing their hike, etc.

So, no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to either post here or to make comments such as the ones I just mentioned.

But being a thru-hiker would sure in hell give some frequent posters here some more credibility, which is something a lot of these posters simply lack.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Oh, Egads, lighten up.

I did indeed read your post.

And no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to post here, tho there sure are a lot of NON thru-hikers telling folks all about how it should be done, how it shouldn't be done, speculating on people's chances of completing their hike, etc.

So, no, you don't have to be a thru-hiker to either post here or to make comments such as the ones I just mentioned.

But being a thru-hiker would sure in hell give some frequent posters here some more credibility, which is something a lot of these posters simply lack.

yeah, actual hiking could actually give certain people credibility. it really does seem like some people just seem to like to sit in a dark corner playing on the computer all day, telling people how wrong their way is, without actually HIKING. it blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    As a matter of fact, he is exactly that.
    Of course he is Jack, that's why you wear that Bryson is a Candya_ _ shirt

Headin' South very soon maybe see you and the others on this thread, where are you? PM me
    Will attempt to bring Wolf with me but I doubt it. He'll probably be busy watching Tiger make his comeback at the Masters Wolf see you and others at Dot's this Friday night

Images

Yeah the whole thing with the tent and the quasi Marxist-feminist overtones does seem a little odd to say the least, not worth filling my head with negative thoughts about it however ... I wish them good hiking.
    it is strange that a man would put the pieces together as they please opposed to being content with where the pieces fall

I think most people commenting here couldn't care less if their documentary is "hit" or not.

These folks came here to WB and invited commentary about their hike. They even phrased their post as a question..."What happens when...?" If they didn't want a discussion of "what happens" then they maybe should not have invited people to answer that question on a public forum.

Default Are you serious??!!

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    yeah, actual hiking could actually give certain people credibility. it really does seem like some people just seem to like to sit in a dark corner playing on the computer all day, telling people how wrong their way is, without actually HIKING. it blows my mind.
    do you realize that actual hiking can be difficult???! Please think before you post stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    do you realize that actual hiking can be difficult???! Please think before you post stuff like this.
    i know. i'm sorry. i just want to point out real quick, though, that's why, logically, the number of douches in any give square mile goes down astronomically proportionally to the number of square miles you hike away from car.

Quote Originally Posted by Covetree View Post
    The itinerary is not rigid but more of a guideline. It just helps to give me a better idea of my daily mileage possibilities. It's good to have a template when you are trying to meet a deadline.
    dont mind lonewolf. he enjoys being skeptical towards other folks' goals to make himself feel better

Images

they dont have a clue they will be lucky to make it past neels gap-in the south we have an expression -BLESS THEIR HEARTS maybe they will get an academy award for their wow look at me website

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++