WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Covetree, a complete documentary would include the famous approach trail. You should start at the Amicalola Falls State Park to really tell the whole story and get a good feeling for the trail.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Survivor is a bunch of BS anyway. People don't seem to realize that those people are not alone wherever they are. (Yep, the film crews are invisible and they'd really let these people die in the woods? Ridiculous)
    ya never know....

Images

Lawyer sues the Ivy grad, city girl eats them both for lunch.

Images

I also made an itinerary similar to this when I hiked. I realize detailed planning like that doesn't work for everyone, but it worked for me and it will work for you also. I made small adjustments as I went along and still finished on the day I expected to. It made it satisfying for me to see that I was meeting my daily goals. The biggest thing I noticed in your itinerary which is going to be extremely difficult is going from Jeffers Brook to Speck Pond in only 8 days. This is 126 miles of some of the toughest terrain on the entire trail and includes the Whites, the Mahoosucs, and Mahoosuc Notch. It doesn't matter how long you've been out on the trail, this section will get your attention. It took me 10 days just to get through the Whites and that included one 15 mile day which about killed me. I found Baltimore Jacks article about resupply/time/distance in the "AT Re-Supply Info" on the home page extremely valuable when I was planning. If you have a finite amount of time consider doing longer days and miles elsewhere and give yourself plenty of time in this section. A few adjustments and this should work out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Survivor is just pretty boys and barbie dolls anymore. it used to be good when they had real people on it
    To return this to A.T. related, check out the March 26 event on http://www.satc-hike.org/hikes.html

Quote Originally Posted by Covetree View Post
    The itinerary is not rigid but more of a guideline. It just helps to give me a better idea of my daily mileage possibilities. It's good to have a template when you are trying to meet a deadline.
    Nothing wrong with your "guideline" I can see. Best of luck

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Lawyer sues the Ivy grad, city girl eats them both for lunch.
    i like this scenario...i hope they get it on film!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    The biggest thing I noticed in your itinerary which is going to be extremely difficult is going from Jeffers Brook to Speck Pond in only 8 days. This is 126 miles of some of the toughest terrain on the entire trail and includes the Whites, the Mahoosucs, and Mahoosuc Notch. It doesn't matter how long you've been out on the trail, this section will get your attention.
    Sarge! Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll expect that stretch to be tough!

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Since this is supposed to be like Survivor with filming, I think Emily Ginger will be the first to quit and the whole thing is over before Harper's Ferry. But good luck!

Also, don't forget to get the necessary film permits.

Got the necessary permits, thanks! Just out of curiosity, what makes you say Emily's the first one out?

The city chick will wind up hiring the lawyer to represent her when she sues the Ivy Grad for sexual harassment.

I can actually see that happening!

^^ followed by lawyer being disbarred for violating state board of ethics. Representing someone suing your own family is a no-no.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Lawyers have ethical rules?

Just joking, good luck and say hello as you pass me up.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieAl View Post
    Lawyers have ethical rules?

Just joking, good luck and say hello as you pass me up.
    Bunches of them. And quite strictly enforced. The number of medical malpraticein this country would be 1% of what they are today if the AMA did half as good of a job of taking away medical lisences of incompetant doctors as the state bar associations do for incompetant or unethical lawyers.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Of those who attempt this great feat, only 1 in 5 is successful.
    By your statistics, 0.6 of you will be successful.
    Actually, I expect you'll all be successful. It will be an adventure.

Practical question: I assume you're starting out with the warm (0 degree Marmot) sleeping bags? If that's the case, then you seem to be reasonably equipped. Toilet paper?

Have fun.

Default This Should Be Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    That mail drop schedule is totally screwed up. Franklin, but no Fontana?
    I thought the same thing! Franklin is an oasis compared to Fontana (or maybe the film crew will set up a buffet line at the Hilton?).

Better re-think that one....

Well I do indeed wish you guys all the best, but I hope you have realistic expectations.

For example, lose the overly romantic expectations; in that first link one of your party talking about "living entirely off the land like Native Americans did."

Well, OK.

But the reality is this is not what you're gonna be doing for the next few months. You won't have time to hunt, fish, trap, or farm, and in order to survive, you're gonna have to hitch on a highway into a town every three to five days to find a market so you don't starve. You're gonna be entirtely dependent on town/city folk whi have and use automobiles, even if you don't.

So have a great time. But this "Dances With Wolves", being one with nature thing, I'm not so sure about. There are people every year who swear they'll be "living off the land" etc. during their thru hikes.

Usually, the acorn/toadstool/chipmunk diet gets real tired after the third day but maybe you'll find another way.

Keep your expectations low and your caloric intake high. Barring boredom, injury, and influences from home you might make it.
    If you don't, it's not the end of the world. You can section hike the trail and still be able to say you hiked it, if that's your goal.
    If, on the other hand, you expect the trail to turn you into a "better you", you'll be disappointed. Without others to correct and direct you (as well as comfort and encourage you - I'm not that cruel ), you won't change unless it's for the worse.
    Reality of what "trail life" is hasn't ever really hit me - I haven't been out on a trail trip for more than two weeks - just when the minor injuries can become problematic.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Usually, the acorn/toadstool/chipmunk diet gets real tired after the third day but maybe you'll find another way.
    But those little chipmunks are soooooo tasty roasted over an open fire. Much better than shelter mice, anyway.

Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Covetree View Post
    Find out by following our adventure as we attempt a 2010 thru-hike:

http://appalachiantrail2010.blogspot.com/

Check out the blog and then the link labeled "official site"
    Looks good to me.

It will be a grand adventure, that's for sure.

As others have said, you probably can't live off the land and still hike daily, but you can live at one with the land. A lot of hikes focus on the next town, on beer and pizza, and lose track of why they are out there. It's good you are approaching it differently.

People here are funny. They will tell you how hard it is to do what you want to do, and why what you want probably won't work, but if they met you on the trail, and you were cold and wet and miserable and talking about quitting, they would be the first to extend a hand and tell you it gets better and to hang in there.
    Frosty

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++