WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Females that age are discriminated against frequently. There is plenty of that going on here on this thread. Some girls take it and some girls don't. The ones that don't tend to piss some men off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Females that age are discriminated against frequently. There is plenty of that going on here on this thread. Some girls take it and some girls don't. The ones that don't tend to piss some men off.
    Does that include the ones who don't even bother to bring their own shelter, then "invite themselves" into the nearest man's tent?

I have been following their blog and this thread since the beginning. They have done some stupid stuff, they have acted like 20 year olds, and they have made some people mad. But haven't we all. They have been on the trail for 68 days and have covered almost 800 miles. For novice backpackers of their age that is pretty good. They have matured and have acclimated to trail life quite well. A lot of people that have hiked with them have nothing but good things to say about them. The whole no tent thing happended the first week out, I'm sure they won't make that mistake again so give it rest. If you don't like them don't follow their blog or this thread and just sit there and be pissed that they are out hiking and you ain't.

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthatch View Post
    Does that include the ones who don't even bother to bring their own shelter, then "invite themselves" into the nearest man's tent?
    that was feb 9th. alot of miles and time since then.

That is a gross exaggeration of what occurred. You are trying to put a spin on that story that is undeserving to a girl on her first week on the trail. Nobody is obligated to live up to your opinions. You have the right to voice them but when you try to demonize folks who have different views you become......never mind.
    Last edited by Alligator; 05-16-2010 at 19:39. Reason: Removed Politics

Images

That is a gross exaggeration of what occurred.
    Here are her EXACT words:

When we arrived at our destination for the night, the shelter was full and we had no tents. I thought we would have to spend the night sleeping in the mud under the shelter, with all the mice. No way! There was a young man who had arrived at the same time as us and was assembling his 2- person tent. I invited myself to sleep in his tent with him for the night, and he obliged. Based on his reaction, I think it's rare for a woman in these parts to be so bold.

How is it a "gross exaggeration" to say that she didn't bring a tent and then proceeded to invite herself into a (stranger) man's tent?

You need to be around twenty something year old girls. If you were you would understand that it is about being treated as an equal and not stereotyped and treated like a child. As far as the mascara goes, what part of girls trying to look welled groomed and attractive don't you get? It's normal. The cig thing, well, what can you say, bad habit?
    ...Really? I'm a 20 something year old girl and I've hiked plenty and I've never experienced what the girls in the video claim to experience. Seems like they're just looking for drama. And mascara, well, whatever floats your boat... but seriously, though, on the trail? I guess the only question is, 'why?'

And modi... since they didn't start 'til March, I doubt that little incident occurred in February.

2010 complete

[QUOTE=hellomolly;1013587 ?'

And modi... since they didn't start 'til March, I doubt that little incident occurred in February.[/QUOTE]yep, you are right. this thread started 2/9.
    I remember the initial uproar when they posted the incident and assumed it was this thread. I'm relieved that the 15,000 views and 226 replies aren't totally regarding the tent issue.

OK so I have been a fan and supporter of their venture to this point. And I probably will remain so. But after reading their latest posts...would someone please take a mop and bucket out to the trail and clean up all that Estrogen they are spilling everywhere.

Wow... really?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chelko View Post
    OK so I have been a fan and supporter of their venture to this point. And I probably will remain so. But after reading their latest posts...would someone please take a mop and bucket out to the trail and clean up all that Estrogen they are spilling everywhere.
    Gotta love how one of the girls rants about society forcing women to "have their face painted with make-up,"...right above this picture on their site:

They were a cool group of people, hiked about the same pace as them for around a week. Not the type of people everyone in the thread is trying to make them out to be.

Default Is it still 1950?

I haven't followed their trip or this thread after the, um, rocky start. But chelko's comment about spilled estrogen provoked my curiosity and I read Emily's May 17 blog entry "I am woman, hear me roar!"

OMG, Emily. You need to get out of the ivy-covered walls more often and into the real world, where I assure you there are plenty of young and older women doing all sorts of non-traditional things. And not crowing about it, I might add.

"Why are there so few women who thru-hike the AT?" you ask. YOUR answer probably would be "Because women think they're weak and dependent." Which would be sexist. I'm tempted to say "Because they have more sense," but that probably would be sexist, too. So I'll just say "Perhaps the idea doesn't appeal to females as much it does to males, for lots of reasons."

Gotta love how one of the girls rants about society forcing women to "have their face painted with make-up,"...right above this picture on their site:

I'm not ranting, only trying to explore the different reasons that explain why there are so few women on the trail. I think that hiking is a great physical activity with many benefits so I am saddened that there aren't too many women out here on the AT doing a thru-hike.

I feel the societal pressures to put make-up on my face in order to look "good" as a woman.

i think you should concentrate more on your own self-confidence problem than that of "stereotypical women". i have never felt the need to wear makeup or to prove myself to others. once you are comfortable in your own shoes, i doubt you will either.
    as for why there aren't more women on the trail, well, most are raised to be "ladies" and dirt is not proper for "ladies". that doesn't mean that to be raised as a girly girl is bad. it's just different. as soon as all the "ladies" become "atheletes", somebody'll start bitching that women aren't "allowed" to be "ladies" anymore and that we should all wear makeup. you should probably quit obsessing about other women and turn your introspective a little more deeply inwards.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Not as many women outdoors? Hmm...

Among my friends I have former Outward-bound instructors, an Everest climber, the person who introduce me to skiing did a 40 mile adventure-ski race twice (in the Rockies..not a Nordic center), women who've won climbing contests, a few female Triple Crowners and so on.

I think women in the outdoors are represented pretty well in my own admitted odd social circle.

(My own kick-ass girlfriend just came back from nine days of technical canyoneering. And she does wear makeup when she damn well feels like it. Damn sexy German/Polish accent too..)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Not as many women outdoors? Hmm...

Among my friends I have former Outward-bound instructors, an Everest climber, the person who introduce me to skiing did a 40 mile adventure-ski race twice (in the Rockies..not a Nordic center), women who've won climbing contests, a few female Triple Crowners and so on.

I think women in the outdoors are represented pretty well in my own admitted odd social circle.

(My own kick-ass girlfriend just came back from nine days of technical canyoneering. And she does wear makeup when she damn well feels like it. Damn sexy German/Polish accent too..)
    yeah well you suck

Uh-oh, I'm about to get real popular.

I'm not saying this is a bad thread, but let's close it now, and let the three start afresh on a new post, if they choose.

Why? No matter what these three say/do from here on out, everyone's going to remember and harp on the first things that were done.

I've had a couple of posts on this thread that weren't exactly kind to them, so this is not intended to be holier-than-thou.

They're kids (Sorry OPs). Let's give them another chance to make a first good impression. K2
    K2 Able to leap small twigs with a single bound.
    I did it. I said I’ll do it, and I’ve done it. [after she summited Katahdin] –EMMA ‘GRANDMA’ GATEWOOD

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    yeah well you suck
    Agreed

10 characters

Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    Why? No matter what these three say/do from here on out, everyone's going to remember and harp on the first things that were done.

I've had a couple of posts on this thread that weren't exactly kind to them, so this is not intended to be holier-than-thou.

They're kids (Sorry OPs). Let's give them another chance to make a first good impression. K2
    nah there's plenty of new stuff to harp on. But I agree they are kids with alot to learn and I think their journey will teach them many valuable lessons some of them hard. One of them is probably going to have more than others Apparently.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++