WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    Nobody is going to mention the amount of cash he's taking?

Dude $1000 will get you maybe a little better than halfway.
    And I'm being generous with that time frame.

It used to be $1 a mile 10 years ago.

Well, good luck and hope you make it all the way.....you're gonna have to be very very frugal.

See ya at the Nashville Dinner.
    Happen to notice I'm not buying any food for the most part. I've got 80% of it already in boxes. I don't plan on stopping in towns beyond visiting a USPS or shower.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Have a great hike. HYOH!
    Be sure to report back on how it all worked out - for better or worse. It will help us all learn.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

10 days left! I can't wait!
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    Happen to notice I'm not buying any food for the most part. I've got 80% of it already in boxes. I don't plan on stopping in towns beyond visiting a USPS or shower.
    good luck...i think you can do it! you're hiking the AT not taking a tour of the bed and breakfasts of the eastern united states! i don't understand why anyone thinks they need to spend $4000-$6000 to thru-hike! it doesn't seem like they're willing to make any sacrifices. if i can complete my upcoming thru-hike for $500, i will. if it costs more than that, so be it. i just don't plan on living high-on-the-hog when i'm off the trail! hyoh!!! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Shipping canisters

Just curious, are the canisters allowed to be shipped via flat rate boxes?

You might want to check, if you have not already. And, then again, you might not want to check.

Just sayin'.

Have a safe experience.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post

You might want to check, if you have not already. And, then again, you might not want to check.

Just sayin'.

Have a safe experience.
    Yes, you have to walk the box open into the USPS, and state the box is required to be shipped ground only, and its contents comply with DOT regulations regarding transportation of fuel. Now obviously it means its gonna take a few days longer to reach its destination..so just ship it earlier.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Shipping canisters

Good to know. I know they have always asked me about flammables whenever I ship things out. Glad you have it all covered.

Safe hike.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

With his food covered by maildrops, I think a frugal person could make it on $1000. A 5 month hike would give him $50 a week in spending cash. That's enough for a shower, laundry, a hostel here and there and some town meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    With his food covered by maildrops, I think a frugal person could make it on $1000. A 5 month hike would give him $50 a week in spending cash. That's enough for a shower, laundry, a hostel here and there and some town meals.
    Exactly. I've got about $1500 in spendable money, and about $3500 should I truly fall apart absolutely, but I'm going to try and make it happen under $1000. It's not too bad when u think about being frugal and efficient. I don't drink, I don't smoke, (thats the two biggest expenses) I can live without Shoney's, and beyond the cheap hostels, I'll never be in a hotel. Thanks for the encouragement Bronk!
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post

One week -
    one night in a hostel $30
    laundry $5
    town meals - $10
    Mail drop boxes - sometimes you have to pay to get them if they go to hostels - $3-$5

And hope you don't have gear or medical issues...or a shuttle or anything else - like your mail drop goes missing and you have to resupply (which WILL happen)

no way

One has to consider - are you hiking this to be frugal (and make some statement) or are you hiking it to have a good time and enjoy the journey? Because enjoyment gets severely limited (with hiker friends you meet and everything else) the more strapped you are for cash. And you are gonna be really wishing for that money come a month or two on the trail (so easy to say this stuff - hey, I don't need money I dont need a place to stay or food to eat! behind a computer safe at home).

You need to deal in reality and not some fantasy.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post

Just sayin'.

Have a safe experience.
    NO!
    Canisters must go surface mail ONLY. They cannot go Priority or anything else. To not check on this ahead of time and to advocate such is stupid.

And you don't have to have your box open for inspection when you walk in (though they may open it anyway). Just tell them it has to go surface and to put the "no airline" sticker logo on it. I had many canisters mailed to me, no problems.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Nice meeting you in Nashville. Hope you got off to a great start! Maybe I'll see you out there (of course I'm about 2 wks behind you) Good luck!

I wish you luck my friend! Pop me an email when you get to Vermont and I will pick you up and treat you to a dinner and a washer/dryer!

I bet you crave your first cheeseburger after a week though!

Start strong, finish strong!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Nice meeting you in Nashville. Hope you got off to a great start! Maybe I'll see you out there (of course I'm about 2 wks behind you) Good luck!
    You too, Springer is beautiful today. Can't wait to get going tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
    I wish you luck my friend! Pop me an email when you get to Vermont and I will pick you up and treat you to a dinner and a washer/dryer!

I bet you crave your first cheeseburger after a week though!

Start strong, finish strong!
    Thanks Bleemus, I'll most definitely take you up on that offer. It'll be awhile before I get up there, especially with this weather in the smokies.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

So I'm at Springer! I've been staying at a free hotel in a Dahlonega, GA about 15 miles from Amicolola since Saturday night after the dinner for the WhiteBlazers in Nashville. We spent today scouting the trail, we drove up the USFS Road 42 with no problems in Abby's car, and we drove down to Walasi and Neels Gap for a brief check of 4 days in and the conditions. Blood mountain is the only peak around thats white, with the employees of Walasi saying its just the frost, and not a large accumulation on the top. The wind on the other hand is absolutely horrible, its blowing about 25mph and with 35 degrees, its FREEZING wind. Otherwise, its a clear showing. I'm on the trail tomorrow morning, and I'll be updating my blog listed in my signature. Follow me!
    SurferNerd
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++