WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Never seen anyone try to drink a gallon of milk. But when I was in eight grade on a field trip at one reststop with free refills on soda some of my classmates had contest of who could drink the most soda.

During the next 2 hour leg of the bus ride they had a second biological challenge that many of them were unable to handle as well as the soda drinking challenge.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    The Elms in Erwin is closed...
    On the corner where the Erwin Burritto used to sit, a new resturant is opening in March. Its called Hawgs and Dawgs. I hope its good.....I sure do miss the burritto!
    I'm a Dari Ace man myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    I know someone (not a thruhiker) who did the gallon challenge with milk. He said it totally messed up his system and he didn't poo for like 3 days or something. Also, I'm pretty sure he puked most of the milk out. The body just can't handle that much lactose in that short amount of time (an hour). Bad idea.
    I think that is the critical issue, the lactose.

It is not physically possible to hold down a gallon of milk drank at one sitting (or an hour).
    It is possible to drink the gallon of milk in an hour, I've seen it done, but you can be sure that most of it will come right back up again within an hour.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

Images

Hershey's isn't so bad. It's not Ben&Jerry's (and that hasn't even been BenNJerry's for several years now), but I'd put it a cut above cheap generic supermarket ice cream.

The coffee flavor's pretty good anyway.

The large majority of people who take a dare to drink a gallon of milk throw it right back up; doesn't matter if you are a college student or a thru-hiker. Why do that to yourself? You'll only make a fool of yourself while everyone else laughs at you at your expense.

I beleive the AT is mainly about the 1/2gallon ice cream challenge which is a far more civilized challenge that is appealing on a hot day.

The PCT has a 5 pounds of pancake challenge (in Saied Valley; featutured on the Travel Channel once for best places to pig out) that only a handful have ever completed. Fortunately most stop long before they get to the puking point.

I did the milk challenge once (not while hiking) in just over 40 minutes and didn't throw it back up.

I also did the ice cream challenge in just under 17 minutes.

mmmm. dairy is good
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Images

I've heard of the Gallon of milk challenge. The theory is that milk is so basic that your stomach can't handle all that base and you WILL throw up. Your stomach needs to maintain a certain level of acidity.

Another challenge is two pieces of wonderbread in a minute. (No drinks allowed)

Images

Default century challenge

When I was in college, there were many I knew (no, not me) who attempted the 'Century Challenge'.

The goal was to drink one shot of beer per minute for 100 minutes. With a shot being 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounces, the total would be between 125-150 ounces of beer in 100 minutes. This equals out to about 10.5-12.5 beers in 1 hour 40 minutes. The effects were often similar to the previously mentioned milk challenge problems.

Michigan State was the place if you are wondering, but I am willing to bet it happened elsewhere too.

When we did the century challenge it was 100 oz of beer, at 1oz per minute.
    We all decided to try for 144, since that would be 12x12oz.
    Crazy as it was, I would suggest that a gallon of milk is harder on the body.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    ugh that sounds revolting
    yea. Food challenges are for morons.

Default The One Dollar Challenge

In recent years, many hikers have attempted to order and consume in one sitting, the entire posted menu of one-dollar items available at a fast food restaurant.

This is great entertainment, as long as you are not sharing a motel room later on with one of these people.

Then it becomes less entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse View Post
    yea. Food challenges are for morons.

I guess you are not a big fan of IFOCE http://www.ifoce.com/index.php

Go Joey Chestnut!
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I eat all I can, which is a lot. Then I drink 1/4 gallon of milk w/ the highest calories. That was the best idea I had for getting more calories-drink them. But to just drink a gallon for the challenge of it, that's doable. Especially if it is GOAT MILK. Can't get enough of that.

6 saltines in 1 minute seems easy-I love them. The half gallon challenge was difficult-I did it but only after I gave up twice. It took close to 1 hour, maybe more.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post

I beleive the AT is mainly about the 1/2gallon ice cream challenge which is a far more civilized challenge that is appealing on a hot day.
    I believe the author who wrote the book "White Blaze Fever" accomplished this and became pretty sick afterwards, so much so that he greatly regretted it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pickleodeon View Post
    There's also the Saltine challenge.. 6 saltines in a minute. Impossible.
    Seriously? That's like one bite.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I think that is the critical issue, the lactose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    You'll only make a fool of yourself while everyone else laughs at you at your expense.
    As I am already a fool, and relatively immune to public embarrassment, I tried the gallon milk challenge while in Big Bear City at the Nature's Inn during my PCT hike in 2008.

Because I don't particularly like regular milk, I tried it with chocolate milk. I got through 3/4 of the gallon in 45 minutes or so (I was pacing the drinking in order to allow my body time to process the milk). About five minutes after finishing the third quart, it all came back up, into a prepared lined trash can.

A doctor who was on the trail said that he had heard that the body rejects that much lactose consumed in so short a span. Further online research on my part showed that actual experiments done on the phenomenon revealed that the body rejects any liquid consumed in that quantity in that time span.

As with professional eaters, the body can be trained to accept it, but the majority of those who attempt it have not done so.

I have the whole thing on film, but will probably not include it in my movie, as something similar already appears in one of Squatch's PCT videos

The best (and most thru-hiker-like) part of the experiment came at the end, when another hiker who had witnessed the attempt looked at me immediately afterwards and said, "hey, you gonna drink the rest of that?"
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

By the way, for anyone who thinks that the milk challenge or the saltine challenge (which, by the way, involves eating six salted Saltines in 60 seconds without drinking any liquid; all six must be swallowed in that time frame), is easy: try it and report back.

They have nothing to do with how much you like milk or crackers.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by pfann View Post
    When I was in college, there were many I knew (no, not me) who attempted the 'Century Challenge'.

The goal was to drink one shot of beer per minute for 100 minutes. With a shot being 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 ounces, the total would be between 125-150 ounces of beer in 100 minutes. This equals out to about 10.5-12.5 beers in 1 hour 40 minutes. The effects were often similar to the previously mentioned milk challenge problems.

Michigan State was the place if you are wondering, but I am willing to bet it happened elsewhere too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    When we did the century challenge it was 100 oz of beer, at 1oz per minute.
    We all decided to try for 144, since that would be 12x12oz.
    Crazy as it was, I would suggest that a gallon of milk is harder on the body.
    A "power hour" is a shot of beer a minute, for an hour. It is tough for most, but obtainable. When I was in college, after successfully beating an hour on several occasions we stepped it up; once to a "century" and once to a "dual power hour" and managed to complete them both. I also managed a gallon of milk when I was younger...all of it turns my stomach now, though!

Saltines are next to my computer. So I tried it, I ate 6 in 1 min. 2 seconds. If I didn't have lots of pizza I 'd try it w/o throwing three in at 1 time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++