WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Long Trail in November

I may be in the Northeast in November and am thinking of hiking the southern portion of the Long Trail, from the MA/VT line to U.S. 4. Anyone hike that part in November, and if so what is the trail like and how did you like it? I assume light to no crowds and chilly weather, which I like.

In November, be prepared for nights below freezing, no leaves on the trees, and potentially some cold days. An early snow would also be a possiblity, but it would not stay long on the ground. If it rains, it will be a cold rain. People will be out there on the weekend, but probably no one else hiking during the week.

Also, hunting season. Wear orange.

Long Trail '04
    Images

Have hiked the AT/LT in late October and gotten snow storms. Without the leaves on the trees, it gets cold in them thar mountains. Bring your winter gear.

Sorry to differ with you Peaks, but I cross country ski in southern VT. Some years the snow lasts from early November till spring. The hiking (or skiing) in November is fantastic. Have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Sorry to differ with you Peaks, but I cross country ski in southern VT. Some years the snow lasts from early November till spring. The hiking (or skiing) in November is fantastic. Have a great time.
    If any place is going to have early snow, it's Prospect Mountain. Sometimes that's the only place in the Northeast with snow.

In addition, several ski areas in Vermont try to make snow for Thanksgiving. Killington usually opens earlier than that.

Registered Troll
    Images

I love snow, as long as the postholing isn't too deep. No better hiking weather than the low 20s with flurries.

I'll be through before Thanksgiving. More likely, early to mid November if I go.

++ New Posts ++