WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    I always leave the berries for the animals that normally eat them. I don't consider myself a tree hugger or a big supporter of PITA, but I always feel like I can buy whatever I need to eat, and the animals can't. Am I just going overboard?
    I offset this by eating some of the animals as well it helps balance it out. PETA People Eating Tasty Animals
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Back in '98, another hiker and I got sucked in by the blueberry bushes in PA. We stopped hiking, even though there was a thunderstorm coming, and collected a small bag each, and then rushed to the next shelter getting there just before the rain started. Made for some tasty times while waiting for the rain to stop. Mmmmmmmm....
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Appleseed View Post
    I ate tons of berries and one cluster was the biggest I have ever seen. About 5 minutes of hiking later came the zinc site. Hope I was not as close as I fear I was.
    You get used to the vision problems but I still hate it when people in Wal Mart stare at me.

Images

I have to say, I didn't think about the Palmerton Site- I ate a LOT of those blueberries on my section last summer... But they were darned good and I was hungry and wayyy dehydrated. My judgement was impaired and I love blueberries!
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

You could go up to the Quehanna Wild Area and eat your fill of blueberries too!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    I always leave the berries for the animals that normally eat them. I don't consider myself a tree hugger or a big supporter of PITA, but I always feel like I can buy whatever I need to eat, and the animals can't. Am I just going overboard?
    Nah. I enjoy watching stuff eat berries. Blue poo is amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    You get used to the vision problems but I still hate it when people in Wal Mart stare at me.
    Open mouth stare?

Samurai Hiker
    Images

When you guys are talking about the contaminated berries do you mean before you reach Palmerton, after you pass it, or both? And are they really that bad because I notice alot of people talking about eating the berries there each year. Just curious. When I was hiking southbound out of Lehigh Gap last week it seemed like most of the area up there had enough vegetation growing that I would think the berries there would be fine. There were a few spots around Devil's Pulpit and such that I might not eat from and I haven't gone northbound out of the gap yet so I don't know what that side is like.
    Trail Name: Ronin

Ronin were the epitome of self-determination; they were independent men who dictated their own path in life, answering only to themselves and making decisions as they saw fit.

mmmmmm...blueberry stuffed trailside animals of all kinds .mm.
    matthewski

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ronin~ View Post
    When you guys are talking about the contaminated berries do you mean before you reach Palmerton, after you pass it, or both? .
    I hiked that section sobo and the trail was rerouted over to the side of the hill the last miles before Lehigh gap. Blueberries the whole way..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++