WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    It has everything to do with it when people quote a weight with food and water. It becomes ridiculous when they say that weight is around 25 lbs. Hell, at times my water alone will weigh nearly 25 lbs.

Really all I want to hear about is what the heaviest load people expect their pack to weigh, either that, or the absolute lightest. The first is more meaningful to me since I know if I can be somewhat comfortable with my max load, I'll feel great when some of that weight comes off my back. The "absolute lightest" is much less meaningful because that is either a sign of poor planning or exquisite perfection....I don't think it's very wise for someone to plan to completely run out of water, food, toiletries, fuel, etc before their resupply.
    There are two weight measurements.

Total Pack weight and base weight.

The reason why lots of people discuss base weight is it is realitively fixed for the entire trip (although people do shed, replace or add gear). Total pack weight varies greatly so it is hard to give a number as it could vary by twenty pounds just based on whether you need to fill your water bottles or just filled them up. Or if you are heading into town or heading out of town.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

I'm aware of those two terms. That's basically what I described. My point was that it makes no sense to list a "total pack weight" that doesn't include the maximum load of food and water that will be carried at any time on the trail. I mean, listed a 2 liter water load? Is water really that easy to find on the AT? If so, then by all means list that amount. That certainly isn't the case on the PCT.

During the military i weigh 170Ibs and march with a weight of 250Ibs plus. i could cover 30 miles no problem in a day. for the AT, a lot easer weight and miles. 170Ibs with a weight of around 200Ibs hiking. 30Ibs i could sprint with that, not that i would want to. i plan on hiking between 15 to 20 miles a day. not that i'm putting a time limit on myself.

In 81 "Dizzy" carried over 80 lbs out of Pearisburg. He had just received an extra large care package from home. Also he was carrying a banjo lashed to his pack. He complained for hours how heavy the pack was. In those days the hostel had a scale in it,His pack weighed over 80 lbs. No one could believe it. We hiked out of Pearisburg and headed of the the next shelter for the night. As we approached the shelter another 81 thru hiker "Vagrant" told me to hang back and let Dizzy arrive at the shelter first. Of Course I wondered why. About 5 minutes later I got my answer. "YOU GUYS $%$#$#$ S**K" echoed across the mountains. Vagrant had secretly slipped a 10lb bar bell weight into Dizzys pack! He carried over 90lbs!

A buddy of mine completed his thru-hike last year, he was known as "top hat". I hiked with him from PA north and he was carrying 72 lbs per the trail concervency scales in boiling springs PA.

Hikingsasquatch Hikingsasquatch's Avatar
    Images

Default I topped out at about 80 pounds

During my thru in '96, I started at Springer with about 60 pounds in early March. That year, the extra winter gear was a virtual necessity, as I experienced significant snowfalls into April. By New England, I was down to 35 pounds. The weight is somewhat relative to the suspension system of the pack. When I hiked 500+ with my wife in '99, she developed a hamstring injury on Blood Mountain, and my base 50 pounds (with 7 days of food for me) turned into about 80 pounds when I became her porter. My Gregory expedition pack made it bearable, though I often felt nearly overburdened. Now, I am down to about 40 pounds with 5 days of food and much happier. If you are starting a thru in the cold, I don't think 50 pounds is unreasonable, though you can definitely shave some weight. Take my word that you don't need a Sun Shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    I had a really good look at his pack when this thing was done, and this was a pack that nobody thought was any good for much over 30 poounds.

The pack was in great shape, despite being totally maxed out as far as its
    original "specs".

GoLite's critics, including me, were dead wrong about the durability of their packs. I had no trouble saying this at the time and I have no trouble saying it now. Coup might not have wanted to go 40 days with this beast (and I sure don't blame him!) but I have no doubt that it could have been done, even with a liteweight pack.
    How do you know he didn't blow out three packs between Springer and Neels Gap? He could have been carrying a half a dozen spare packs in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Class2010AT View Post
    A buddy of mine completed his thru-hike last year, he was known as "top hat". I hiked with him from PA north and he was carrying 72 lbs per the trail concervency scales in boiling springs PA.
    Yes, but 1/2 of that was beer. 72 pounds must have been right after he topped off. I'm sure it got lighter throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    Yes, but 1/2 of that was beer. 72 pounds must have been right after he topped off. I'm sure it got lighter throughout the day.
    That was after a resupply yes, and full water, but the extra pair of boots, the 4 or 5 books, and the full size guitar w hard case didn't help.

Images

I was told a story about a couple that came into a shelter area and when the guy put down his pack it just had that deadening thump of a really heavy pack. They set up their tent and a little while latter folks heard the whine and sound of a fan. The guy had one of those big inflatable air mattresses like you would pull out for company and it was hooked up to a battery system to self inflate. I don't know the weight but I would say that it alone had to be close to 15 lbs.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

i know this guy from the trail last year in maine, let's just say PP, who kept his food in a big plastic container inside his pack, had nothin but cotton (even jeans), a frisbee, a glass jar for his water bottle, and like several books....pack musta been 80 pounds.

however, when the nekkid girl was emerging from wadleigh stream pond on a chilly maine summer evening, guess who had a full-size terry towel and saved the day??

so ya never know

Quote Originally Posted by vonfrick View Post
    i know this guy from the trail last year in maine, let's just say PP, who kept his food in a big plastic container inside his pack, had nothin but cotton (even jeans), a frisbee, a glass jar for his water bottle, and like several books....pack musta been 80 pounds.

however, when the nekkid girl was emerging from wadleigh stream pond on a chilly maine summer evening, guess who had a full-size terry towel and saved the day??

so ya never know
    nah, it was more than that cause after taking out all that crap that i cloud-blazed back to monson it was still 78 lbs..

wait. maybe i shouldn't have answered that.

It can be done with a 50 lb pack. Mine was running close to that most of the way. I have since swapped out gear to get lighter. It was tough, and it takes some getting used to. Dont try to keep up with all the ultralighters when you first start out. Find your pace and settle in. you will catch up to the speed demons around Virginia most likely anyway. Too fast, too far, too heavy are what cause most hikers to get blisters and/or get off the trail. Plan on 8-10 miles per day max to start out. If your body feels good then you can push a little further. But you dont want to be kicking out 20s right away with that much weight. That would be a good way to get seriously injured.
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Images

Big issue. My three cents. Carry what you like but my experience is that less is a lot more enjoyable. I also like doing without. Less food, less gear, less excess. It has helped me to enjoy the AT even more being a bit minimalist. Totally a personal choice, also, many UL's I have seen skip some of the really beautiful spots in exchange for speed & distance. When I go out I am going to enjoy myself and get away from all of the BS & speed of "life", and there is too much of that!

So I start with a 24 inch Philadelphia Hoagie and a "flask", on day three I am happy and down 4 1/2 pounds in the pack.........and a really nice way to start a hike. Hoagie weighs about 3 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    It can be done with a 50 lb pack. Mine was running close to that most of the way. I have since swapped out gear to get lighter. It was tough, and it takes some getting used to. Dont try to keep up with all the ultralighters when you first start out. Find your pace and settle in. you will catch up to the speed demons around Virginia most likely anyway. Too fast, too far, too heavy are what cause most hikers to get blisters and/or get off the trail. Plan on 8-10 miles per day max to start out. If your body feels good then you can push a little further. But you dont want to be kicking out 20s right away with that much weight. That would be a good way to get seriously injured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Q View Post
    Big issue. My three cents. Carry what you like but my experience is that less is a lot more enjoyable. I also like doing without. Less food, less gear, less excess. It has helped me to enjoy the AT even more being a bit minimalist. Totally a personal choice, also, many UL's I have seen skip some of the really beautiful spots in exchange for speed & distance. When I go out I am going to enjoy myself and get away from all of the BS & speed of "life", and there is too much of that!

So I start with a 24 inch Philadelphia Hoagie and a "flask", on day three I am happy and down 4 1/2 pounds in the pack.........and a really nice way to start a hike. Hoagie weighs about 3 lbs.

i love non sequitur posts, like the kind where they dont even acknowledge the 'nekkid girl' mentioned previous

so ya never know
    What kind of dope would hike with a pack that big. Guy can't be too bright. Just sayin'

i love non sequitur posts, like the kind where they dont even acknowledge the 'nekkid girl' mentioned previous
    I remember that nekid girl. Saw her when I was gathering wood. No pun intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    What kind of dope would hike with a pack that big. Guy can't be too bright. Just sayin'
    yepperdoodle

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I'm training with 50 pounds of body fat.
    Mine isn't body fat.
    It's MPFS.

(man-portable food supply)

Journal Entries

Oh hell, no wd, you can't get away with that. I'm from West Virginia, and if we can each figure out how to post here, you can post on postholder.

Seriously, keep a journal and show em how nountain boys do it!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++