WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

I have hiked the trail carrying what I call "traditional gear", about 45-50 lbs. and I have hiked it using the UL concept, less than half of that weight. There is no doubt in my mind, which was the most enjoyable trip.
    Don't be concerned with all the weight issues, carry what you want and enjoy being out there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whistle dixie View Post
    lol is short for lolly gagger, or lumps on landing,or level on loads,or
    letting on letter.
    oh heck i don't know, just sounds good and alot of people use it. just wanted to sound fancy.

I'll bite - it means Laughing Out Loud. ROTFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing - LMAO - Laughing My A@@ Off. Etc.

The kids use a lot of that stuff. Too lazy to type it all in, I'm guessing. I'm old. I don't wanna.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    What does lol mean?
    Laughing out loud.

People use way too many TLAs on forums. It is hard to keep track of all of them.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

It is indeed hard to keep track of them.

For example, what the hell is a "TLA"?

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    It is indeed hard to keep track of them.

For example, what the hell is a "TLA"?
    It is a Three Letter Acronym.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    Probably me. in 1971.
    That was long before "shuttles" to take you to Walmart and Red Lobster while in transit.
    I carried about 60 lbs. There really wasn't anyone else around so I shot squirrels, doves, quail, and fished to supplement my meals.
    I even took a turkey in VA. Laid up for 2 nights and smoked it to death.
    Nice protein supplement for the following week.

I'm old...................
    LOL, yes you are.

Images

tuffiest sob? What's the point of carrying a heavy pack? Bragging rights?

It doesn't cost any more to go UL than heavy; just leave the nonessential stuff at home.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    I even took a turkey in VA. Laid up for 2 nights and smoked it to death.
    that sounds very cruel.
    "...Though the road may wind, yea, your hearts grow weary, still shall ye follow them, even unto your salvation." -Blind Seer, O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    It is a Three Letter Acronym.

TLA... ***? That's TBS.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    TLA... ***? That's TBS.

Wow,,, big brother kept me from using... w t f?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by paradoxb3 View Post
    that sounds very cruel.

sounds good like good eating to me

Images

censoring acronyms... too funny

Its a mistake to think that your pack weight is not an issue for a thru-hike. I got a stress-fracture on my hip last year on my hike because I figured that I would be able to carry whatever I wanted because Im in shape. (Note: Do not consider carrying a full bottle of wine at any time by yourself!) Definately hike your own hike, but just be wary of how much weight your frame and body weight can carry.

Images

I've hiked with 45 - 60 lbs for years when I was younger. But the thing is, there is no need to anymore, and you don't HAVE to spend a fortune. All the equipment, even the cheap stuff comes in a more light-weight version now. Other than paying attention when you buy things, it's just resisting the temptation to throw in the kitchen sink because you MIGHT have to do dishes for the group some night.

To each their own, but just realize that there is no need to carry that kind of weight anymore, at least not on the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I've hiked with 45 - 60 lbs for years when I was younger. But the thing is, there is no need to anymore, and you don't HAVE to spend a fortune. All the equipment, even the cheap stuff comes in a more light-weight version now. Other than paying attention when you buy things, it's just resisting the temptation to throw in the kitchen sink because you MIGHT have to do dishes for the group some night.

To each their own, but just realize that there is no need to carry that kind of weight anymore, at least not on the AT.
    I agree. I carried 45 LBS just 8 years ago on an Autumn adventure at Philmont. With only a few modifications, I'm down to under 30 LBS in my thru-hike pack this year. I could still squeeze out a couple of more pounds, but now it's getting expensive.
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

What is important, wine, beer, expresso machine, how much weight is left for food ?

There might, in truth, not be a "need" to carry 45 pounds, but at the end of the day, people should carry what they want, and other folks should concentrate more on their OWN gear and journey rather than spending time debating or discussing what other folks are doing.

In short, like what you're packing and pack what you like.

That being said, yeah, I carry all sorts of things most folks don't, whether it's extra warm clothes, extra food, a second book, a flask, extensive maps and guidebooks, etc.

And funny thing.......hardly a day goes buy, especially early in the trip, that someone out there doesn't benefit from this, tho thankfully, this is the day they DON'T comment on the size or weight of my backpack.

But really, folks should carry whatever they damned please out there, and it's nobody else's concern or business.

Images

i'm kinda looking for a weight my pack weighs about 53lbs. am i an idiot? or just over prepaired. i plan on bounceing some of my material after the smokies. but figured the extra stuff would keep me warm.

leaving feb. 21, cant wait
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    There might, in truth, not be a "need" to carry 45 pounds, but at the end of the day, people should carry what they want, and other folks should concentrate more on their OWN gear and journey rather than spending time debating or discussing what other folks are doing.

In short, like what you're packing and pack what you like.

That being said, yeah, I carry all sorts of things most folks don't, whether it's extra warm clothes, extra food, a second book, a flask, extensive maps and guidebooks, etc.

And funny thing.......hardly a day goes buy, especially early in the trip, that someone out there doesn't benefit from this, tho thankfully, this is the day they DON'T comment on the size or weight of my backpack.

But really, folks should carry whatever they damned please out there, and it's nobody else's concern or business.

Well Jack, He asked the question. If he didn't want folk's opinions, he probably wouldn't have. I noticed you got your opinion in in spite of chastising others for expressing their's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Not sure what lightweight has to do with frequent town stops.
    It has everything to do with it when people quote a weight with food and water. It becomes ridiculous when they say that weight is around 25 lbs. Hell, at times my water alone will weigh nearly 25 lbs.

Really all I want to hear about is what the heaviest load people expect their pack to weigh, either that, or the absolute lightest. The first is more meaningful to me since I know if I can be somewhat comfortable with my max load, I'll feel great when some of that weight comes off my back. The "absolute lightest" is much less meaningful because that is either a sign of poor planning or exquisite perfection....I don't think it's very wise for someone to plan to completely run out of water, food, toiletries, fuel, etc before their resupply.

Anyway, I believe my heaviest load will be about 45 lbs based on my training hikes. That's with heavy winter clothing, a heavy sleeping bag, a heavy bivy and oversized groundcloth. All those things will be put on a diet and be partially replaced with more food and a bear canister at times.

Images

i'm kinda looking for a weight my pack weighs about 53lbs. am i an idiot? or just over prepaired. i plan on bounceing some of my material after the smokies. but figured the extra stuff would keep me warm.
    Use exercise to keep your body warm as much as possible. If you're hiking, you can stay warm in light pants and a t-shirt in below freezing temps at night. Spend as little time out of your sleeping bag when you're in camp. This means eating shortly after and before you make camp. Keep your breaks short during the day and you won't cool off much. The only time you'll want or need your extra layers is when you first wake up to break camp and on zero/nero days. If nights are especially cold, stuff your clothing into your sleeping bag or wear it to bed.

I'm still experimenting with my setup, but I think I can stay nice and warm in low 20's with long underwear and lightweight puffy top & bottom layers, and maybe shells if it's windy. I had been experimenting with fleece, but fleece is really only needed if you're wearing them when you're active. Since I've found that I stay warm in minimal clothing so long as I'm moving, fleece seems to be unnecessary weight.

Anyway, this is what training trips are for. You still have a little bit of time to load up your pack and see how things work. I bet you'll find some warm clothing that you won't use. I'm not sure where you're located, but I bet the next few days will be a good example of worst case conditions.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++