WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    it could wolf! i've been known to carry a little bit more than most, but i carried my dogs gear and food
    but never complained about it. loved my little slackpacker!!!
    i wasn't referring to you

slackpackin' katahdin on a thru-hike is a weenie thing to do

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    i wasn't referring to you
    i know!
    sometimes im not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Not much time spent at camp

I may add a couple things. I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be comfortable in camp, than have a slightly less heavy pack during the day, but skimp on camp comforts.

My thought on that is from my experiences. Your hiking all day in GA, you get to camp and your arse is done. All your going to wanna do is eat and crash, especially carrying a heavy load. Why risk an injury at the start due to a "HEAVY" load. I know clothing is very important for warmth, but not all the what I call unneeded items. Not sure about others, but do not think there will be much time spent at camp unless you setup around 1pm or 2pm everyday.
    I don't know

I am planning on slackpackin all but a couple hundred miles.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

could mean you're a dumb S.O.B.
    *snort*

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters. STUPID...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    I may add a couple things. I'd rather carry a few extra pounds and be comfortable in camp, than have a slightly less heavy pack during the day, but skimp on camp comforts.

My thought on that is from my experiences. Your hiking all day in GA, you get to camp and your arse is done. All your going to wanna do is eat and crash, especially carrying a heavy load. Why risk an injury at the start due to a "HEAVY" load. I know clothing is very important for warmth, but not all the what I call unneeded items. Not sure about others, but do not think there will be much time spent at camp unless you setup around 1pm or 2pm everyday.
    Yep, but that's you, not me. I know from my experience what I like.

On my last three week section, I was very glad to have my in camp comforts, and would not have gotten rid of them. (Anyway, my pack isn't exactly heavy, I'm just carrying a few extras) I love my "un-needed" items.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post

On my last three week section, I was very glad to have my in camp comforts, and would not have gotten rid of them. (Anyway, my pack isn't exactly heavy, I'm just carrying a few extras) I love my "un-needed" items.
    Your a firecracker! I was not trying to single you or anyone out was just making a statement. Sorry
    I don't know

Images

Nah, no offense taken! Just pointing out that I would rather have a couple extra pounds and not skimp on in camp stuff- planty of people would not.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

Meant plenty, not planty. (Invasion of the body snatchers....)

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Not sure what lightweight has to do with frequent town stops.

On the PCT, my basepack weight was 13 lbs, and I stopped in town once in 10 days for the High Sierra.

On the CT is was about 10 lbs, and I had an 8 day food carry.

On the CDT, it was 9 lbs, and I also did an 8 day food carry.

On a recent San Juan trip, I carried 7 days of food to avoid having to hitch.

So, go heavy if you want (who gives a crap?), but personally I go light so I can carry more food and go in town less.
    Well I know I'm not tough, so I guess that makes me a dumb S.O.B.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i know!
    sometimes im not the sharpest tool in the shed.
    You referring to me????? Them's a fightin' words
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by whistle dixie View Post
    i have a outside frame pack and have found that it is heavier but i have alot of places to hook more gear on the outside. so i think thats why my pack is 60+lbs. but thanks 4 the boost guys and gals. i hope i meet some of you nice people on the trail and learn more tips and tricks. i plan on staying over supplied and avoiding towns as much as possible. i'm tuff enough to make do hopefully thanks for the confidence see on the trail.
    Whistle, I am not a gram wheenie and I don't lecture people on the weight of their gear. What I wasn't sure of is what your experience level is? You mention hooking more gear to the outside of your pack. Colin Fletcher ("The Complete Walker") referred to this once as having Gear festooned from your back. This makes walking fast, or up and downhill a little more tricky, as well as in areas that require intricate footwork (such as bending and leaping for footplacements. All that gear festooning from your pack will knock you off the center of gravity.
    I once watched a newbie in the Dacks about a mile from the TH in the early 90's with a large canteen slung over one side of the frame and a pair of sneakers laced together, slung over the other side. Every time he bent over or took a large step or stepped down, he was wacked in the head by either the swinging sneakers or the swinging canteen. I followed behind him for about 3-4 minutes and then passed him - I hoped the folks he was with would explain a better way to pack his gear before the end of the his trip.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Also, if something is swinging from your pack (and not properly strapped down), it doubles the weight.

(Example- your thermarest doesn't fit, so you roll it up and tie string around it, then hook it to your pack, where it hangs loosely. It'll feel like two thermarests instead of one, because of the bouncing. So strap it down really tightly, and it'll feel much better.)

Heaviest doesn't mean toughest.

I'd say Earl Shaffer would be the toughest considering the condition of the trail when he did his first hike.

Remember a couple years ago when Coup carried approx 130 pounds from Springer to Neels. Something like 15 pounds base weight and the rest food.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I once watched a newbie in the Dacks about a mile from the TH in the early 90's with a large canteen slung over one side of the frame and a pair of sneakers laced together, slung over the other side. Every time he bent over or took a large step or stepped down, he was wacked in the head by either the swinging sneakers or the swinging canteen. I followed behind him for about 3-4 minutes and then passed him - I hoped the folks he was with would explain a better way to pack his gear before the end of the his trip.
    When I hiked through GSMNP I pass a guy that had 2 canteens, a full sized axe and a big camcorder case strapped to his pack. The canteens and camcorders were swinging wildly from side to side as he walked.

From behind all you could see were his legs.. Everything from his butt to over his head was pack. It was simply amazing.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post

I agree Shelp and your bunny slippers just make camp seem so much more cozy. I want to get a pair myself.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

They were so comfy! Love those slippers. Those slippers and that new mug I got make my in camp time so much better!!!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Well I know I'm not tough, so I guess that makes me a dumb S.O.B.
    You were giving some less-than-accurate info.
    Doesn't make you dumb..but misinformed.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I agree. Carry your pack the whole way. But also think the same about taking blue blazing around mountains along the way.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++