WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Backpacks

Question Backpacks

Hey everyone! I'm trying to decide what backpack I want to take on my 2011 thru.
    I have a Coleman chinkapin x65 that weighs in right at 4lbs.
    I like it because it has lots of pockets for organizations.

I also have a golite pinnacle that weighs about 1.5lbs.
    I find the pinnacle harder to pack,but that may be just lack of experience.

What are your opinions on the coleman and the pinnacle? I know Coleman isnt one of "the" namebrands, but it does seem to be well made.

geo

do what works for you, who cares what the UL crowd thinks or the heavy weights.

One thing I have learned reading all the posts is there is no one answer and everyone is the expert. do your own thing and have fun.

what sounds easier to you:

carring 2.5 lbs for 2000 miles.

figuring out how to pack a backpack
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries
    Images

Go to your local supermarket and get a couple of reusable grocery bags and carry one over each shoulder.

With the weight you save, you will hardly break a sweat.

(Seriously but IMO, if you find a comfortable pack that can hold your stuff without making you look like a ragman, 4 Lbs isn't all that heavy. Not even close.)

Thanks for the input, I guess I will have to just take them on a few more times and see what one is the most comfortable, and easily used for me.

Images

Starting in colder weather, take the heavier pack with a frame suspension. You'll likely appreciate it. By warmer weather, try the lighter pack. If it hangs awkward, go back to the heavier pack.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Default No "comfortable" backpacks

I've backpacked thousands of miles in my life and my motto is: "There are no comfortable backpacks, some are just less uncomfortable than others." And I might add that some backpacks are a LOT less uncomfortable than others.

My recommendation is get a GOOD quality lightweight internal frame backpack. Gregory, REI and Osprey make good LW models. Try to find ones that have side straps or attatchment points where you can attatch afermarket side pockets. (IMHO and experience external frame backpacks ae too heavy and frameless packs are too uncomfortable with any load over 15 lbs.)

Several makers sell these pockets and they are great for organizing gear, especially gear you may want in a hurry, like your "potty bag" of TP and hand sanitizer, or your 1st aid kit.

Shoot for a total empty pack weight of under 3 lbs., including side pockets.

Eric

One possibility is that the lighter pack is harder to pack because you're carrying a larger volume (and weight) of stuff than you need to. Obviously I don't know if that's the case for you (!), and of course it's subjective, but if you got yourself a postal scale and weighed all your gear, created a gear list, posted it and got feedback on it --- you might find yourself trimming back some.

The result would be a double win --- less weight from the now-easier-to-pack lighter backpack, and less weight from the contents.

At 4400 cu in. the Golite Pinnacle should be large enough for thru-hiking. I'd try to make it work. But go w/ whatever works for you. enjoy your hike.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Cut a piece of coroplast to put in the pad pocket, and your pinnacle will transfer weight a little better. But it's still really for light, high volume loads.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Between now and 2011, take both out loaded. Decide which one works for you. If it were me I'd take the lighter one.

I have to respectfully disagree with 300winmag. In my experience, there is such a thing as a comfortable pack if you are carrying less than 30lbs (maybe more for some people with the right pack). I have completely forgotten I was wearing a pack that had ~22lbs in it on more than one occasion. My favorite pack is the Gossamer Gear Gorilla and before that the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.

My recommendation would be to use the lightest pack which is comfortable on your back. I will bet with a bit of practice you can learn to manage using a pack with less organizing features than your current pack.

--Mark

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    One possibility is that the lighter pack is harder to pack because you're carrying a larger volume (and weight) of stuff than you need to. Obviously I don't know if that's the case for you (!), and of course it's subjective, but if you got yourself a postal scale and weighed all your gear, created a gear list, posted it and got feedback on it --- you might find yourself trimming back some.

The result would be a double win --- less weight from the now-easier-to-pack lighter backpack, and less weight from the contents.
    Ive got my base weight down to right at 20lbs. I do have a couple of changes i want to make to go even lower. I will try to get a gear list posted soon, I would be interested to see the feedback I get.

Thumbs up I'm with Bearpaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Starting in colder weather, take the heavier pack with a frame suspension. By warmer weather, try the lighter pack. If it hangs awkward, go back to the heavier pack.
    Start with the external frame pack, then go to the internal north of the Smokies--especially as early as people start at Springer these days. You'll likely appreciate it as you can carry a sleeping bag and clothes for cold conditions. Bulky is OK, heavy is not. Don't use it as an excuse to carry tons of heavy stuff!!!!!

Though, if you have 2011 plans, you have plenty of time to practice with both packs.

WOW.
    Piss poor advice.
    Go to a "reputable" outdoors store and try on many packs. Get them to put a decent amount of weight in them and go for a walk.
    Counting ounces when buying a pack is pure idiocy. Like the dolts that cut the handle off of a tooth brush.
    Morons.
    Find the comfort.
    I currently carry a Rivendell that is under three pounds but when I guide a group, ??? I carry a Crossfire DG3 that is over 10 lbs. EMPTY !
    Ya want to ride a golf cart or a limo ?

Journal Entries
    Images

I am not an experienced backpacker, but, as with anything, it has more to do with weight distribution, than actual weight. 15lbs could feel heavier on your back than 30lbs if the weight is not managed correctly.

A lot of the advice you are getting seems to deal with getting a new pack, but you want to use one of these two, right? I'd say pack them each with all your easy stuff (so long as the weight is pretty close to what you'll be carrying), and go on a few walks with them. Preferably somewhere with some hills. Which ever one seems to carry the weight most comfortably is your pack. If it's the Go-lite, learn to pack it down smaller. Maybe see if their are smaller options to some of the bigger things.

I bet if you started a thread listing everything you carry, you could get lots of great advice on how to save some space.

++ New Posts ++