Hammock Hanger asked me to bring this post and topic over from the old forum, below are her words.

--------------------------------------------------------

Why, did I want to hike the AT. If I had a dime for eveerytime I was asked that question...

I hiked for years as a section hiker on the AT, FL, ADK and else where. I loved the feeling of sitting out at night and looking up at the stars, sitting by a waterfall, watching a deer-bear-rabbit-newt-butterfly-etc. Just being out in the out-of-doors, feeling like a part of nature, forgetting about the real world for a little while. The rush I would get after accomplishing a climb I just didn't think I could do. The views that can only be seen from that particular summit. The ones that cars can't reach were especially enjoyable. Knowing that I can live and take care of myself with minimal equipment (like all those wonderful material things I use and like when home). It is good to take a reality check once in a while and see that it's all just stuff. I taught backpacking for years every summer. I had always thought some day I'll give a thru-hike a try. Six months, 2000 miles of me and the woods, other hikers, small towns, nature, the elements... Mmmmm sounds like an adventure. One Spring I decided it was time for the dream of that adventure to become a reality. Even though I was unable to finish the trail in one season due to injury and illness, I've enjoyed every wonderful/miserable mile of the 1800+ and can't wait to grt back out there. I doubt I will ever try another 2000 miler, but find that anything less then 600 miles doesn't quite give me the accomplished feeling of LIVING n the woods. But ANYTIME spent out there is great fun and enjoyment. I'm rambling and getting misty... WHat can I say it is just a feeling that is hard to put in words. I LOVE BEING OUT THERE!!! HH

"It is good to have an end to journey towards, however, in the end it is the journey that matters." -- UK Leguin