WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation New Section Hiker! Looking For Imput From the Pros.

I've been researching an AT hike of sorts for several years. My recent employment status has made a dream hike a reality.

I have four weeks or so to be on the trail for a section hike on the AT. I'm planning on an early start, March 2nd/3rd and finishing around April 1st. Getting to the trail should be relatively easy given the numerous options available from Atlanta. My main concern is where to get off the trail and how. I assume that I will end up somewhere between Gatlinburg, and Damascus. I'm leaving the door wide open to limit restrictions on my hike.

What advice would the experienced hikers offer for both transportation and in general for a newbie section hiker?

Forgot to add that I would like to end up in Washington DC around April 1st.

No pros here at WB, just a bunch of opinionated asshats.

if you start at Springer, you'll bee in the midst of the flood of thru-hikers starting out Fun for some, crowded for others. Might be good for you for learning and sharing. I'd jump ahead, maybe put in at Fontana, or Hot Springs, maybe further north and have more solitude.

Hot Springs and Erwin have been shuttling to air or bus. If u don.t mind road walking, then any road off the trail will take u to a town, ect. After that it's most likely that hiking with a backpack will give u suprising quick help from pick-up trucks blue collar boys to a bus, train, car rental, u-haul rental(the easiest to find for one-way). When hiking the world really belongs to u!

I wouldn't try to make too many plans.
    You have a month.
    Go for it and more than likely, you will meet someone that is getting a ride to somewhere that you can tag along till you get to a bus stop.
    Trying to plan it out now will limit your trip to a schedule that you might not want to stick with.
    Go out and have fun and find a bus station when you're finished.
    You may just have the time of your life this way.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    You have a month.
    Go for it and more than likely, you will meet someone that is getting a ride to somewhere that you can tag along till you get to a bus stop.
    Trying to plan it out now will limit your trip to a schedule that you might not want to stick with.

That is good advice right there.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Registered User NashvilleBiscuit's Avatar

Fiddlehead is right. Dont make any plans. Go to Springer and see where you get. There are bus stations all around the trail and if you end up in a place where there isnt one you probably wont have a hard time finding an angel that can give you a ride to one.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    You have a month.
    Best advice ever!
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post

if you start at Springer, you'll bee in the midst of the flood of thru-hikers starting out Fun for some, crowded for others. Might be good for you for learning and sharing. I'd jump ahead, maybe put in at Fontana, or Hot Springs, maybe further north and have more solitude.
    Got my hat on and came up w/ this opinion.

There won't be a flood at that point, but you will have company.

I wouldn't start the Smokys in a month from now.

Hot Springs is an option I'd consider if you want to be ahead of the others, but I wouldn't.

go to springer, shoot for erwin and get a bus out of johnson city, tn.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Like many, many others have already done.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    But most of us are lovable asshats (as opposed to being petty and vindictive asshats).
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    This is one of the best options I looked at. In addition I will most likely try and find an exit road/town, before, and after, Erwin. Having the most options will prevent limitations from leading my hike.

I am definitely leaving from Springer on the 2nd/3rd of March. Being with the new class of thru hikers will help get my hike started.

Two more things I'm interested about, both are no doubt well documented here. What are some cold weather suggestions for that start date and geographical area? Also, how much planning will I need before I get to GSMNP, or can I get all reservations, permits and the like on arrival?

Don't be surprized if you just continue on to ME! Have a great hike!

Images

Default ATC's Hike the Trail

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805465/k.9760/Hike_the_Trail.htm

If you haven't already visited ATC's website, you'll discover an abundance of information useful in planning your hike.

You might want to also click on the link below and the white blazes for additional detailed information compiled by ALDHA.

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

I've sectioned the trail for 11 years and am by no means an expert. I find I plan less and enjoy more just by taking what the trail has to offer related to who I meet and what the conditions are. March on the high ridges in the south could be anything from a foot of blowing snow to 70 and sunny. Do a little homework as suggested and be flexible. If you need to come off and regroup for a couple days that OK too. I'm going to take a week to hike in central PA around the same time and can't wait!
    Have fun!
    Kevin

Images

Don't worry about the Smokies, you self register before entering the park at Fontana Dam.

Have fun!!!

And March in the mountains in the south can be 70 degrees or it could be 10 and a blizzard. Be prepared for the worst.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by MBaker View Post
    This is one of the best options I looked at. In addition I will most likely try and find an exit road/town, before, and after, Erwin. Having the most options will prevent limitations from leading my hike.

I am definitely leaving from Springer on the 2nd/3rd of March. Being with the new class of thru hikers will help get my hike started.

Two more things I'm interested about, both are no doubt well documented here. What are some cold weather suggestions for that start date and geographical area? Also, how much planning will I need before I get to GSMNP, or can I get all reservations, permits and the like on arrival?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    Don't worry about the Smokies, you self register before entering the park at Fontana Dam.

Have fun!!!

And March in the mountains in the south can be 70 degrees or it could be 10 and a blizzard. Be prepared for the worst.
    Good advice. And in case you're not aware, you don't have to worry about reservations in the Smokies because the Park considers you a thruhiker since your hike encompasses 50 miles on both sides of the Park. You'll still need a permit which you can obtain as described by LilRed.

Images

Default More ATC links

Specific information you may find helpful can be found on ATC's pages entitled Section Hiking and Regulations and Permits.

Images

If you really need to get to DC plan on finishing your hike in Harper's Ferry, WV. From there you can take a train in DC. Now that you've got your finishing point, just plan backwards to find out where to start.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++