WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Fall a lot? Where does that come from, personal experierence? .
    Yes. And personal observation.
    I'm no expert .
    You said that, not me.
    but I think you'll find most people fall maybe 4 or 5 times on a thruhike .
    Once I woujld have asked how you're so sure you're right, and I'm wrong, or even why that matters to you. Now, to borrow Cap's phrase, I just "smile and wave, boys."
    unless.... you'll just really clumsy.
    Yeah, that's me. I fall once ever 350 miles. Or so. That would mean maybe 6 times in a thru. I guess I've used up my allotment. So the next time won't be a fall...just an unintentional application of gravity.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bucherm View Post
    I highly doubt Verizon or Sprint are going to be rolling out WiMAX and LTE coverage in the woods anytime soon...
    I expect Verizon will because they are. I takes about 7 hours to prepare a cell site for LTE. No big deal and Verizon never does anything with half measures. I doubt they will stop at the city limits unless they are bankrupt.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Baron
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    I expect Verizon will because they are. I takes about 7 hours to prepare a cell site for LTE. No big deal and Verizon never does anything with half measures. I doubt they will stop at the city limits unless they are bankrupt.

Let me rephrase: I meant within the next few years. I note that I can't even get Verizon service in (off Skyline Dr)SNP, which is a local destination for folks in the DC area. While existing coverage may get LTE I suspect that we won't see expanded coverage for years and years.
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

Images

Won't it be wonderful when the AT isn't wild any longer? Maybe we can rename it...Times Square.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Won't it be wonderful when the AT isn't wild any longer? Maybe we can rename it...Times Square.

TW
    An argument could be made that the AT hasn't been wild for many years.
    I first hiked on the AT in 1960 and it was pretty well maintained then.
    (not wild)
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    I owned a Fujitsu u810, LOVED IT! Sold it because Vista was total crap, and couldn't get XP Pro on it properly working.
    I put Windows 7 on it. I think the first installation went horribly bad somehow, but redoing the installation worked really well. My only problem is that the drivers are a bit picky about the order in which they're installed, which I blame on Fujitsu for not documenting this themselves. My keyboard led still doesn't work. Good tablet otherwise. I would've continued carrying it until I got off the trail if I hadn't switched to a much smaller pack.

one huge complaint was the prodigious amount of driver incompatibilities, which ultimately contributed to a negative product perception that Microsoft still can't shake. The software vendor is taking pains to eliminate that problem with Windows 7 by releasing its code at an earlier stage.

I have a netbook I'd sell. Not that anyone asked. But it's pretty much what the OP was describing/wanting. HP 110 I think it is. Retail 350, sell for 200. Pristine.
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie View Post
    I have a netbook I'd sell. Not that anyone asked. But it's pretty much what the OP was describing/wanting. HP 110 I think it is. Retail 350, sell for 200. Pristine.
    Thanks for the offer, I was more asking about what people thought of carring a 3 lb computer than actually looking for one. At 5lbs your's might be just a tad heavy for carring. I just went with the HTC smart phone recently but I have not mastered the art of typing on it yet.
    SUPPORT LNT

I would forget the netbook and just use a phone with a keyboard. I used a tiny windows phone and a bluetooth keyboard during my thru hike and I was pounding out a novel every single night with no discomfort. Total weight was about 9 ounces. The new iphone OS now allows bluetooth keyboards, and Android phones should work too.

On the other hand if a netbook seems like a good idea to you then do it. Once you've hiked a couple hundred miles with it you'll have no need of any of our opinions on the issue; you would have either sent it home by then or not. Go out there and try it out and let us know how it worked for you.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

I'm going to do a thru hike in about a year and a half after I graduate. I'm interested in possibly carrying a small laptop of some type, just to blog and nothing else. If the bluetooth keyboards are that good, I could just do that and bring the droid. I don't really want to be in contact with anyone, but I would like to do a blog to document my trip/keep people updated.

Images

A phone may do everything you need, but I suggest taking a look at the HP Slate 500.

The issue with any electronic device is the battery and how to to keep it charged.
    My droid needs to be charged every two days even when it is only on standbye.
    SUPPORT LNT

Kindle seems like the only possible electronic device to carry on the trail. I'm thinking of getting one to put books in as I like having something to read at night. It has a keyboard so I could write/journal with it although I doubt I will. The battery life is also obscene.
    No man should go through life without once experiencing healthy even bored solitude in the wilderness, finding himself depending solely on himself and thereby learning his true and hidden strength.

Images

Wait, scratch that, I think the Asus EEE Note may be a better fit.

It does 13.5 hours of continuous use. It runs Linux, so it has the potential of running a wide variety of full featured free software.

My favorite thing is the pen. I think I would prefer to write my notes, possibly in a pdf annotated with Jarnal, and then email that....maybe via someone at home to transcribe it. I tried typing on a tiny keyboard this spring, and it was just way too slow and prone to typos. Handwriting is good though.

It also has a microphone, which means I can do audio journals. A camera...well, I probably wouldn't use that, but it's there. I might use the headphone jack though, especially on zero days. It has a microSD slot, so I can copy pictures from my gps camera and store lots of ebooks and music.

Asus Eee is interesting but not available here until next year. This type of Technology is moving so fast that I can't keep up and I'm in the industry. I'm thinking a smart phone that runs Linux will take the market, but thats just me wishing.
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Default solar chargers

Anyone have recommendations/suggestions/experience for solar chargers?

I personally have never tried a solar charger. They seem iffy at best. I'm sure technology will give us a good one if they havn't already. There are several threads on WB with info. Here is one of the most recent ones.
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ighlight=solar
    SUPPORT LNT

Anyone carrying a netbook may want to consider this hat.
    Backpacking light, feels so right.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++