WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Myog pillow

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Myog pillow

I know what you're thinking. "Sleep on you clothes". Not bad advice, but I already use my clothes (w/stuff sack) for something else. SO...I am making a pillow.

I bought some super cheap fabric from Walmart for a blanket, and I have just enough left over to make a nice little camp pillow(I honestly don't know what the stuff its -it almost feels like satin). I need to decide. DOWN or SYNTHETIC.

DESIRED PILLOW SIZE: 10"x15" with about 3/4" loft

BUDGET: $5 (I already have the shell material)

I know DOWN compresses better and is warmer. I don't care at all about warmth, but I do want it to be light and compress as small as possible. There are a couple things that turn me off about down, though. Down takes a long time to dry, and if it might wet from condensation (or drool). Also, I don't know if this material will hold down. Down leaks out of some materials. I have an expensive Nautica down ski coat and the down leaks right through the lining. Also, I don't know where to get that small a amount of down. I was going to buy a down jacket or comforter from a thrift store and just rip it open, but even the childrens jackets were $10+ at Goodwill. I need cheaper!

I am leaning towards the SYNTHETIC, unless anyone can give me a compelling reason to use down. Which synthetic idea do you think is best? Keep in mind I like a soft, fluffy pillow.

-buy a $2.50 pillow and use the stuffing out of it
    -buy a $30 bag of poly-fill from Walmart
    -use a triple up a few leftover scraps form the sheet of synthetic I used in my sleeping bag (the cheap Walmart stuff)

Or do you have any better ideas?

My pillow weighs about a pound. If I bought the $2.50 one and used half the filling, it should be about 8oz. I can live with that, but I really want something that would be a little more compact. I tried rolling my pillow up real small and it was way more than twice the size of something I'd want to carry.

Oh yeah, don't want an inflatable one. They don't fold, and I that's a quality I need. Plus they are uncomfortable.

Discuss...

Looking for a comfortable cave to habitate jrwiesz's Avatar
    Images

Default Get some down

Use down from an old pillow/vest/jacket. Maybe try the thrift shops for a bargain purchase.

My summer sleeping bag only weighs 16 ounces; if you want to carry 8 ounces of fiber fill in a pillow, great.

Get some down.
    "For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
    Carl Sagan

Journal Entries
    Images

Hmm. yeha. 8oz does seem a little heavy for something like that.

I have been checking our 1 thrift store and craglists for anything with down in it, but no luck. Well, like I said, I did find a little kids jacket for $10, but I wasn't even sure if it was enough.

You think that stuff will hold down? It's kinda got the texture of satin, but is a little less "shiny" and maybe a little more durable...I know, bad description.

Images

sounds like alot of drama over a pillow! you've got to be willing to make some sacrifices on the trail! i'm betting you burn that pillow before you get to neels gap...if not, winton or his staff will tell you to get rid of it! hyoh! happy trails!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey man, some people can't sleep with out a pillow. I'm one of them. Different people are willing to make different sacrifices.

Not sure what you mean by "drama", but I don't mind spending $5 and 10 minutes with a sewing machine, if it means a decent night's sleep. Honestly, half of the reason I'm making it is because I enjoy making things.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyduncan View Post
    Hey man, some people can't sleep with out a pillow. I'm one of them. Different people are willing to make different sacrifices.

Not sure what you mean by "drama", but I don't mind spending $5 and 10 minutes with a sewing machine, if it means a decent night's sleep. Honestly, half of the reason I'm making it is because I enjoy making things.
    hyoh! enyoy!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Find a piece of material the size to make the pillow you want, sew 3 sides and make a flap on the end. When needed fill with whatever clothing you are not wearing at the time and use it as a pillow. That way you are only carrying the empty pillowcase when not in use. Still an extra piece of weight though.

I
    I know DOWN compresses better and is warmer. I don't care at all about warmth, but I do want it to be light and compress as small as possible.
    Won't it just compress under your head and be useless?

I think inflatable, with a small compressable cushiony layer is the way to go.

It's still winter, wait a few months and the down jackets, vests, whatevers will be easier to find and cheaper.

Images

you can buy high quality down by the ounce from stormcrow on hammockforums.net

http://www.theperfecttrees.com/products.html
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

$28.95, 9 ounces, Can be folded, 8" X 9 1/2" X 3" Thick Packed size

http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix....0&MatrixType=1

Images

Quote Originally Posted by tzbrown View Post
    Find a piece of material the size to make the pillow you want, sew 3 sides and make a flap on the end. When needed fill with whatever clothing you are not wearing at the time and use it as a pillow. That way you are only carrying the empty pillowcase when not in use. Still an extra piece of weight though.
    Couldn't agree more. I've used the same 3oz pillow case for several years. I usually stuff either a long sleeve T-shirt, down jacket, or fleece. It works great and is nearly weightless. I'm one of those who does have to have a pillow to sleep, but this is almost like cheating since your not carrying anything extra except the pillow case.

Journal Entries
    Images

I know what you're thinking. "Sleep on you clothes". Not bad advice, but I already use my clothes (w/stuff sack) for something else. SO...I am making a pillow
    So...

Damn, why's down gotta be so expensive? I should just go kill a goose.

@lustreking: Yeah, I was thinking that at first, too. They do make down pillows, though, so it must b work ok.

Based off the high price of that down, and the lack of synthetic recommendations, I think I will sew pillows. Stuff one with the fill out of a $2 pillow (or maybe an old pillow) and save the other one until I find a cheap down jacket I can cannibalize.

Other suggestions are welcome. REmember:

-UNDER $5
    -NOT INFLATABLE
    -MY CLOTHES ARE ALREADY IN USE

Fleece jacket or vest - dual purpose.
    Next!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I know what you're thinking. "Sleep on you clothes". Not bad advice, but I already use my clothes (w/stuff sack) for something else. SO...I am making a pillow.
    You got me curious....what do you use your clothes and stuff sack for?
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    You got me curious....what do you use your clothes and stuff sack for?
    I have a circulatory problem and I have to sleep with my legs elevated. If I don't my feet are swollen and unusable the next morning. Docs orders. I've tried using my shoes for that and my clothes as a pillow, but my feet wont stay on my shoes. Having my feet elevated is more important, so I have just been not using a pillow at all, or trying to use my pack as one. I never get any sleep, because this.

Not trying to get off track here, though...

I have a circulatory problem and I have to sleep with my legs elevated. If I don't my feet are swollen and unusable the next morning. Docs orders. I've tried using my shoes for that and my clothes as a pillow, but my feet wont stay on my shoes. Having my feet elevated is more important, so I have just been not using a pillow at all, or trying to use my pack as one. I never get any sleep, because this.

Not trying to get off track here, though...

Might be lighter and cheaper just to bring a piece of styphome for your feet. Won't compress, but its light enough to hang off of your pack without causing balance issues.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Jeremy - Last summer I got tired of fighting lightweight compressible pillows. I took a brand new 5 dollar Queen Pillow from WalMart, cut a third out at one end and sewed the open shut. Voila, 8 ounce, high loft pillow. At the end fo the hiking season I threw it away. I was able to compress it down enough that it didn't bother me in my pack. I have to sleep on my side too so a pillow is something I have to have. I will be doing the same thing again this summer.

In fact I was able to create two pillows out of the one using this method. My daughter got the second one and loved it.

"I was going to buy a down jacket or comforter from a thrift store and just rip it open, but even the childrens jackets were $10+ at Goodwill. I need cheaper!"

I have a lead on a cheap (how about free?) kids down jacket. It's tempting to take an existing pillow, destuff and restuff it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++