WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default ARCTERYX Pack, MSR Hubba & Hubba Hubba

I drove up to Fayettville to look at some packs and tents at Water Stone Outdoors yesterday. Must say, Very nice folks
    I'm torn between a lightweight pack like Six Moon Designs Starlite or something like my last pack which was a Dana Terraplane. I probably won't be going out for more than 3 or 4 days at a time, but a little extra space would come in handy if that changed.
    I wound up trying on a Bora 80 Large. My torso is 21-22". They said it was "The Cadillac" of packs. I was able to easily adjust and snug it to a good fit.
    Then we set up a MSR Hubba tent. I thought it was great except a little cramped. Add 15oz and I'd be in a Hubba Hubba which is 2 feet wider.
    Any comments
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Images

I've got a Bora 95. Truly the Cadillac of packs. Wouldn't carry it on a hike anymore unless I was unsupported in Alaska for a week. Get a ULA pack, Catalyst or Conduit. I have a Hubba Hubba, superb tent. Wouldn't carry it on a long hike unless someone stole my Shires Tarptent Contrail. Just my thoughts.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I've got a Bora 95. Truly the Cadillac of packs. Wouldn't carry it on a hike anymore unless I was unsupported in Alaska for a week. Get a ULA pack, Catalyst or Conduit. I have a Hubba Hubba, superb tent. Wouldn't carry it on a long hike unless someone stole my Shires Tarptent Contrail. Just my thoughts.
    Thanks Tabasco !! Any Reason Why a ULA pack instead of a comparable Six Moon Designs Product ???

I have the Six Moons Starlight, it's every bit as good as the ULA. In fact, there is no significant difference between them.

You can carry up to 30 LBS comfortably in the Starlight. I've used it on week long hikes with no resupply, plenty of space for such a lightweight pack.

I sometimes hike with a friend who has the Hubba Hubba. I personally would not carry a tent that heavy for solo hiking, which I do most of the time. I use the Six Moons Lunar Solo. The Tarptent line. or the Six Moons Lunar Duo would be my recommendation if a single person tent is too cramped for your liking.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

+1 on the Lunar Duo.

If I ever become homeless I'm going to live in mine there's so much room.

FWIW, I have a Catalyst and love it. I also recently purchased a SMD Swift which is really an apples and orange comparison but the workmanship is excellent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    I have the Six Moons Starlight, it's every bit as good as the ULA. In fact, there is no significant difference between them.

You can carry up to 30 LBS comfortably in the Starlight. I've used it on week long hikes with no resupply, plenty of space for such a lightweight pack.

I sometimes hike with a friend who has the Hubba Hubba. I personally would not carry a tent that heavy for solo hiking, which I do most of the time. I use the Six Moons Lunar Solo. The Tarptent line. or the Six Moons Lunar Duo would be my recommendation if a single person tent is too cramped for your liking.
    Hey Bulldog, do you know what's the difference between the SMD Starlite and Traveler ??

Images

Default 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    Thanks Tabasco !! Any Reason Why a ULA pack instead of a comparable Six Moon Designs Product ???
    I have never seen anyone with a SMD pack on the trail, not saying that they aren't out there, just I personally have never seen one. In 5 years of section hikes, on every hike, I have seen several hikers carrying ULA packs. That's why I went with ULA.
    My name is Tabasco and I approve this message.

Registered User NashvilleBiscuit's Avatar

The Hubba is a little cramped but it worked well for me all the way to Front Royal. I kept most of my gear in my pack under the vestibule. On rainy nights a put my pack cover on my pack under the vestibule and never had any problems with anything getting wet. For a long distance hike every ounce counts. I would say just go with the Hubba. You could also look into some of the Big Agnes 1 man tents. I saw a lot of those on the trail and most people seemed to be very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by brotheral View Post
    Hey Bulldog, do you know what's the difference between the SMD Starlite and Traveler ??

The Traveler has a top lid, permanently attached, and pack access is from a zipper opening on the front side of the pack. The Starlight is a traditional top loader.

Yeah, not many SMD packs on the AT, but it is a very good pack none the less. Actually, I've never seen anyone with a ULA pack in the AT either, but I know they are out there. Both packs are more popular out west on the PCT. Rather than simply follow the crowd, I researched and decided on the SMD. I have no regrets.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Hike smarter, not harder.

I bought a ULA because I wanted a light pack that could carrya lot of water, and after talking on the phone with Brian about packs and fit, I had to have one. Not saying SMD is bad (I had a Lunar Solo), just didn't get the same feeling from SMD.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Lunar Duo, Ordering mine next week.

Images

Hubba Hubba=75 ounces

SMD Lunar Duo=39 ounces

Images

Default ?? for bulldog49

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    The Traveler has a top lid, permanently attached, and pack access is from a zipper opening on the front side of the pack. The Starlight is a traditional top loader.

Yeah, not many SMD packs on the AT, but it is a very good pack none the less. Actually, I've never seen anyone with a ULA pack in the AT either, but I know they are out there. Both packs are more popular out west on the PCT. Rather than simply follow the crowd, I researched and decided on the SMD. I have no regrets.
    I don't use a water bladder. I may switch to one but how are the side pockets for 1 liter nalgene bottles ?? Would I be able to access them easily ?? What kind of sleeping pad are you using for support ?? Do you have the aluminum stays ??

I've got a Hubba Hubba and I like it alot aside from the color but as I've gone UL I've scaled down my tent. I switched to a BA SL1 (~2.5lbs) and now I'm using a GG the One (1lb).

++ New Posts ++