WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

I'm debating this on myself as I'll headed to the Hangout at Wise shelter this weekend.
    I was there last Saturday and there was still plenty of snow, mud, and water with more on the way.
    Probably be doing more loitering than hiking.
    Being more of a trailrunner than a backpacker I'm a big fan of Montrail's Masochist -the lugs seem adequate but probably not up to boot standards.
    I've been out in the snow in them about 5 out of 7 days since mid December.
    They drain very well and seem to resist moisture as well as any I've seen.
    But good drainage is the more important of the too.
    I use two pair of socks(at least one wool), but my feet do get a little cold when the snow is slushy.
    May try that single pair idea and see if it helps
    I've heard good reports on the sealskins, but haven't tried them.

jjj

Default Hmmmm...

They DO make such a thing as Gore-Tex socks.

You're risking frostbite W/ skimpy trail runners. Next time at least get them lined W/ GTX if you have "boot phobia" and cn't abide wearing GTX lined hiking boots.

Eric

These last few days in the snow I used neoprene booties I got from warmstuff.com. Cheap and work great.
    I once used seal skins and my feet never smelled soooo bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Agree. I had a near major problem on my last trip due to frozen wet boots on Day 1 and they stayed solid for the next 12 days. One morning it took me a good 30 minutes just to pry my feet into them and it was like walking in a steel trap. It even got so bad that I seriously considered going back to the Sorel pak boot solution with the felt inserts and the rubber bottoms. Great snow and cold boots, heck to walk in for any distance.

On my next trip I'm taking the beefier Asolo Fugitives and a new pair of WM down booties! Yeehaw! I'll find room in the pack for 'em.
    I know what you mean about the Sorel pack boots. Heavy and no foot support. I couldn't change the weight of the boot, but I did toss my superfeet (green btw) insoles inside the felt liners and that made a world of difference in how the boots felt to my feet. Still had plenty of room for liner sock and heavy wool sock.

I have tried the plastic bags on your feet in Colorado winter trips. They work fine as long as you are moving. Once you stop your feet will freeze. I would not use this method unless I knew for sure that when I stopped I would be able to change to dry wool socks and some down booties or something similar.

Keen makes some lightweight insulated boots worth looking at.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++