WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Little Rock Pond in 2010

Yay - GMC, US Forest Service and ATC will be building a new shelter at Little Rock Pond. The two old shelters, Lula Tye Shelter south of the pond and Little Rock Pond Shelter north of the pond, will remain open until the new shelter is completed.

Where will the new shelter be built? Closer to water than a .3 mile walk?!

I just received this in an email response to an inquiry I sent to GMC regarding the Big Branch bridge replacement

"Little Rock Pond Shelter, which was ¼ mile north of the pond, has been removed in anticipation of a new shelter that will be built the weekend of Sept 11-12"

Sounds as if the new shelter will be in the same spot as the old.

The new shelter is not in the same spot, it is right above the caretakers tent. You can see the pond through the trees from the shelter. I was there Friday night with my wife, Packless. We had the shelter all to ourselves.

http://gallery.me.com/lomasney#100371

If you look closely at img_2398 you can see the water through the trees.

Images

Great photos 2pack!!

Looks like a unique shelter design. How many hikers do you think it will hold?
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Jeff,
    It has 4 bunks that accommodate 3 each for a total of 12, but it looks like you could squeeze one more per bunk in a rain storm and there is plenty of room on the porch. The care taker told me , however they were going to put in a table to cook on in the middle of the porch .

The shelter is beautiful and so is the bridge over the Big Branch 3 miles south.
    Thank you to all involved in these gifts to hikers. I'm sad they are going to take down Lula Tye, a great lady who has sheltered hikers for almost 50 years. I have many great memories there.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    The shelter is beautiful and so is the bridge over the Big Branch 3 miles south.
    Thank you to all involved in these gifts to hikers. I'm sad they are going to take down Lula Tye, a great lady who has sheltered hikers for almost 50 years. I have many great memories there.
    I remember one particular evening at Lula Tye lean-to. It was in the early spring; the leaves were just coming out. I was serenaded (sp?) all evening and into the night by the owls. I had never heard so much hooting in my life. The owls were even hooting during the daylight hours. This is a very special place.
    You are never too old.

looks similar to the new Browmley shelter

Have they built the new shelter already?

BTW there was a fascinating archeological inquiry going on there in late July. The team was digging at the site where the new shelter footings were to be located. Hope to find a copy of the report - Little Rock Pond was transformed for me that day.

And hats off and a big thanks to the caretaker for a very friendly welcome and an awesome job well done!

++ New Posts ++