WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Thru-hikers who used Jetboil

Hey all,
    Justed wanted to hear from some hikers who used a jotboil for there AT thru-hike. Was wondering how often you had to buy fuel...how often was it was avaliable and so on. I already have a jetboil...love it and don't have money to buy anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Hike View Post
    Hey all,
    Justed wanted to hear from some hikers who used a jotboil for there AT thru-hike. Was wondering how often you had to buy fuel...how often was it was avaliable and so on. I already have a jetboil...love it and don't have money to buy anything else.
    http://zenstoves.net/Construction.htm

Having never used a jetboil, I can't answer your question. Just wanted to point out that alcohol is an option no matter how poor you are.

How fast you go through canisters also will depend on how much you cook - are you cooking dinner every day, are you cooking breakfast, too? Cooking 2 meals a day you will obviously go through them 2x as fast.

Images

Good point. I will be cooking oatmeal every moring and dinner every night

Jetboil is a good canister stove, but I prefer the Snowpeak Litemax canister stove, it will save you some more ounces on pack weight.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I've got a jetboil that I take on shorter hikes but I consider it too heavy for anything longer than a few days.

I've seen quite a few people on the way to Maine or Springer carrying them though.

One thing to consider is that they require the jetboil canisters - but I guess that's not a problem considering how many JB's I've seen on the trail.

I used a jetboil on a section hike from harper's ferry through shenandoah and back. I used it for oatmeal and hot chocolate each morning and MH meals for dinner. For just boiling water its great. I got about 10 days out of a canister and didn't always use the jetboild brand cans. Getting canisters wasn't a problem. I really like how quickly it boils, but as a through hiker pointed out- what's the hurry? I've seen switched to alcohol and haven't looked back.

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I've got a jetboil that I take on shorter hikes but I consider it too heavy for anything longer than a few days.

I've seen quite a few people on the way to Maine or Springer carrying them though.

One thing to consider is that they require the jetboil canisters - but I guess that's not a problem considering how many JB's I've seen on the trail.
    NO!! They do not require the Jetboil canister. You can use Snowpeak or MSR canisters as well.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Don't forget to check the hiker boxes along the way- where you'll almost always find cannisters. I hiked with a buddy last year that rarely bought fuel for his Jetboil because he was able to get by on all those "empty" fuel cannisters left by others.

Images

I'd recommend a REAL pot and the Coleman F1 Ultralight Extreme if you want to go canister. They had very similar performance to the Jetboil when it comes to fuel efficiency in the Backpacking light tests, and they don't cook in a cup.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-F1-Ult.../dp/B002LBC1EY

I got one for my wife and it works very well.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    NO!! They do not require the Jetboil canister. You can use Snowpeak or MSR canisters as well.

My mistake...how about: "Make sure that the canister you buy will fit the stove. Some canisters are too large."

Hey all,
    I use one.

Don't buy the Jetboil canisters, others are cheaper, especially Snowpeak Gigapower with no noticeable reduction in operation, regardless of how low the temps get.

I don't bring my water to a rolling boil also I don't open the throttle all the way, wastes too much fuel. Once my water starts boiling I add the rice and simmer with the fuel nozzle open just enough to keep a flame on.

I also cook oatmeal and coffee w/ jetboil and can make a small canister last about 10 days.

BTW, I don't eat out of the cup, I only use it to boil the water (more efficient that way) and to drink coffee from.

I simmer my dinner meals in a pot using one of these http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/po...tabilizer.html

my hiking partner used one the entire trail. he loved it. HYOH.

his canisters lasted probably 10 days also, he cooked breakfast and dinner every day, but like above he just used it to heat the water up and then turned it off once it was boiling and he added the rice/couscous/oatmeal (which is the really nice thing about Jetboils; they are insulated.) Canisters are no problem generally although I think he carried a spare.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I use one.

Don't buy the Jetboil canisters, others are cheaper, especially Snowpeak Gigapower
    I totally agree! Snowpeak is the best of the three, with MSR being the worst in performance overall.

If all you're doing is boiling water (i.e. using freezer bag or mountainhouse meals) then Jetboil and only the cup is the way to go as you can boil enough water to fill your food bag and enough left over to drink a hot drink from the cup. If you're going to do other types of meals that require simmering/cooking, then the Jetboil add-on John Gault uses or Sgt. Rock's suggestion might be the better option.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I was carrying an alcohol stove setup, but I changed to the Jetboil. I only boil water in mine for freezerbag cooking and drinks, same as with my alcohol stove. However, it is so much easier to set up and use, particularly in cold weather, and it actually weighs only about an ounce more than my alcohol setup with 7 days of fuel.

The unexpected benefit is that, because it is so convenient to set up and take down, I now have been having oatmeal and instant coffee for breakfast instead of a granola bar and No-Doz pill.

By the way, if you haven't had the new Starbucks instant coffee, you don't know what you are missing. Man, it is seriously good stuff.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I have a Jetboil and use it sometimes. What I don't like about it is that you can't (or at least I wouldn't) cook over a fire with the cup. I use a Snow Peake cup with my alcohol stove and if I run out of fuel I can heat water over a fire. Also I had one of those canisters lose its seal and empty on me after I unscrewed it from the stove. Now I leave the canister on when I put it back in the cup for storage. The smaller canisters will fit.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    By the way, if you haven't had the new Starbucks instant coffee, you don't know what you are missing.
    If you're going to carry a JetBoil and you're seriously into good coffee on the trail get the coffee press. Knocks out nearly liter of coffee pronto.

Not that I would suggest anything, but when a partner of mine carried a JetBoil and the coffee press I made the sacrifice and carried half-and-half in cold weather.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

I think I could beat a jetboil with my Kelly Kettle.

Good point. I will be cooking oatmeal every moring and dinner every night
    You will be done eating oatmeal for breakfast by the time you finish the Smokies people that sleep in on mornings in the shelters just love jetbombs because they sound like a bomb going off when you light them....
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    If you're going to carry a JetBoil and you're seriously into good coffee on the trail get the coffee press. Knocks out nearly liter of coffee pronto.

Not that I would suggest anything, but when a partner of mine carried a JetBoil and the coffee press I made the sacrifice and carried half-and-half in cold weather.
    It is good to see someone actually carrying half and half. I have been contemplating this for a few months since I started putting it in my tea.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++