WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default what do you think about NF cat's meow?

I wonder if anyone has any opnions to share with me about this bag? If you own it, how cold did you take it? When were you cold in it? What were you wearing at that temp? Was it too warm for you? at what temp?

Thanks in advance for your help!

I own this bag and it has served me well. I have had it down to somewhere in 15F to 20F range with nasty winds. I was also using a OR Aurora Bivy and some GI Polypros, I was comfortable.

I have taken one down to about 32. I borowed a family member's. Comfortable. Just wore boxers. and shirt. Too warm/heavy for summer use, if through hiking, in my opioion. But not sure about summer in New England. I have no experience there. Good bag for wet weather. Great when damp. Built to last.

Images

I'm not much of a fan of most North Face products, but the Cat's Meow is a big exception. It is an excellent three-season bag, relatively lightweight and nicely compressible for a synthetic fill. If you're not going with down, the Cat's Meow is an excellent option until at least central Virginia.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

My son used one for years until dad showed him MontBell & Western Mountaineering quality.

Personally, I think TNF overrates their bags; meaning you will be cold before you ever see the rated temperature.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I own two TNF CMeow. When new they were accurately rated and filled their mesh storage sacks. After a year of 500 trail miles storing them in the loose large mesh storage sack they lost 25% of their loft and went from a 20* bag to a 30* bag. Another years of hiking and they were only 50% of their original loft but still weighed over 3lbs.

I switched to down with a JRB quilt and have been very pleased for 3 years and still holding original loft. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable...No%20Sniveller
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I'm not much of a fan of most North Face products, but the Cat's Meow is a big exception. It is an excellent three-season bag, relatively lightweight and nicely compressible for a synthetic fill. If you're not going with down, the Cat's Meow is an excellent option until at least central Virginia.
    These are my feelings as well. I have a 1993 Cats Meow that I still use to this day. Its been used in the single digits and kept me warm. It also has seemed to keep its loft through the years better than my other 5 bags
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Used one on my thru-hike in 2000. Temps occasionally down in the 15 degree range. Warm, comfortable. A durable bag you can count on.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Thumbs up

I have owned Sierra Designs, North face, Mountain Hardware bags.

Out of those brands I am on my second Cat's Meow. The first I used on my AT hike in 01. Spent a few nights sub 20's. Kept me warm and comfy. Even woke up one morning to blown in snow covering the bag at Blue Mountain Shelter. Snow blew in so bad that one other persons boots that he left out were filled with snow literally. Didn't know it had snowed until I reached over the bag to flip it open to get up. Needless to say the Cat's Meow is my favorite bag. When it came time to buy a new bag I bought another one.
    A Fact Of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says;

W T F...............

KB3SYZ
    -.- -... ...-- ... -.-- --..

http://shakeyleggs.wordpress.com/

Images

you know why i love this bag so much?

i've had this bag get soaked thru and i was still warm. i've had this bag in temps at about 10 degrees and i was still warm. i've had this bag in my hammock as a quilt and it worked awesome there too. i like how its bulletproof, i like how its roomy, i like how it looks, i like how the hood is shaped perfectly for me.

i just love this bag. sure its not anywhere near the lightest, or the most compressible or the most inexpensive. but it works. and it does so every time. in most every condition.

the north face stuff is overrated most often. but as others have said. this bag just is the exception to the rule

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I own two TNF CMeow. When new they were accurately rated and filled their mesh storage sacks. After a year of 500 trail miles storing them in the loose large mesh storage sack they lost 25% of their loft and went from a 20* bag to a 30* bag. Another years of hiking and they were only 50% of their original loft but still weighed over 3lbs.

I switched to down with a JRB quilt and have been very pleased for 3 years and still holding original loft. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Wearable...No%20Sniveller
    I am quoteing myself and adding that the two I have are 2003 and 2004 models with Polarguard Delta insulation. I think the older ones used a different insulation fiber.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son used this on his 07 hike. Did great with it. Used a liner in the teens

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

++ New Posts ++