WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default MSR Hyperflow$29.77(NEW)

Got a email for Cabela's and came across this MSR Hyperflow on Sale for $29.77 dollars.I know the reviews isnt to great,I just wanted to pass this on,if anyone would like to pick it up.I have one but i chg the pre-filter out to a Hiker pro type.HS

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    Got a email for Cabela's and came across this MSR Hyperflow on Sale for $29.77 dollars.I know the reviews isnt to great,I just wanted to pass this on,if anyone would like to pick it up.I have one but i chg the pre-filter out to a Hiker pro type.HS
    There's something odd about this.. The Hyperflow goes for $99.95 most places but Cabelas says their normal price is $49.99?

Looks like it is not the Hyperflow itself, but rather the cartridge or gravity filter kit. The page is describing the filter, but it is not available to select to add to the cart.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry,if i missed information anyone,but ill go and check my email.HS

Well, I've had 3 of them and they're worth about $29.99 IMO.. ;-)

Images

Cabelas Bargain cave here is for customer returns.....That may be why there is a 65% discount.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

So, if they are brand new online for $29 and change, then it tells me MSR doesn't even want them back because they were likely so poorly designed.

Makes me wonder if they will still support them in a year or two... How do you tell a warranty on a $100 water filter from an identical $30 discounted model..
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    So, if they are brand new online for $29 and change, then it tells me MSR doesn't even want them back because they were likely so poorly designed.

Makes me wonder if they will still support them in a year or two... How do you tell a warranty on a $100 water filter from an identical $30 discounted model..
    I really don't think you're getting the entire pump - I bet it's just the replacement filter.

Images

I agree with 10-K. I believe it is just the filter.
    Fast is fine but accurate is final....Wyatt Earp

When these first came out I bought it for $100. It was the easiest flowing pump I had ever used. Started getting harder and harder to use even pumping from clean running water. Looking on the web I found that MSR would replace filters of early models if you gave them the serial number (no reason given - refer to REI feedback I believe) but I never took advantage. Backflushing is a pretty difficult exercise and does not restore the filter to previous efficiency. Now I understand that there may be a pre-filter....

This is an excellent no-weight pump for throwing in your daypack for emergency water - not for someone to depend on for weeks at a time. It will clog the point that it is impossible to pump.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by txag View Post
    Looking on the web I found that MSR would replace filters of early models if you gave them the serial number (no reason given - refer to REI feedback I believe) but I never took advantage.
    Yout ought to take advantage of it. Call the customer service number, and if the cartridge qualifies (by serial number) they will send you a replacement for free. It only took me about a 5 minute phone call.

I have documented in various places my issues with this filter. I personally really like it, I have just gotten frustrated because I got 2 bad filter cartridges. I bought the filter when it first came out, and that was during the bad batch of filters. I called and got a replacement, and then that one went defunct shortly thereafter too. Apparently it was still part of the bad filter batch. I have since gotten the 2nd one replaced, and am hoping this newest one works (haven't had a chance to use it yet).

When the filter works correctly it is fantastic. It's very fast and light. Backflushing is not a big deal. I use a platy hoser that I rigged to hang from a tree. I turn the valves around, connect up the hose, and backflush. Backflushing does restore the pump to it's original speed.

I have a buddy that I hike with that bought one of these, and his has worked fine. I have also read many reports of people who love them. I think the filter just has a stigma about it due to all the issues when it first came out. Tisk tisk to MSR for not properly testing, and the quality control issues with the cartridges. At least they are willing to make it right though.

If anyone had bothered to click on the link I provided you would know by now..
    The illustration,description and specs are all for the MSR Hyperflow Microfilter, that is the complete unit, however when you go to the "add to cart" window you get to choose between a replacement cartridge or the gravity kit for the $29.77 price tag.
    So at best a mistake but looks very misleading to me.
    Franco

++ New Posts ++