WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Post An Interactive Tool for Weight Control

An Interactive Tool for Weight Control

Developed by: atraildreamer
    (© 2010 by E. F. Brown, Jr.)

Based on material initially published by:
    Jim Wood
    In his article:
    "Backpacking and Weight Loss"
    (April 14, 2005)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    DISCLAIMER

This article and the accompanying spreadsheets and charts provided are AS IS, without any representations, express or implied.

I make no guarantees as to the success of any weight modification regimen you may embark upon while utilizing these spreadsheets and charts.

Nothing in this article or the accompanying spreadsheets and charts, constitute, or are meant to constitute medical advice of any kind.

If you are pregnant you should not use these spreadsheets.

If you require medical advice in relation to any health matter you should consult an appropriately qualified physician.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

(Note: Blue underlined texts are hyperlinks to source material.)

We live in a modern society that provides us with a vast variety of abundant foods. Unfortunately, many of our food choices are not the best for achieving and maintaining optimal weight and health. Many foods are highly processed, high fat, high carbohydrate and loaded with salt, while appealing to our taste buds, do nothing but help us to get fatter.

I have been battling a weight problem most of my life, and judging from the posts found at Whiteblaze, and many other hiking and backpacking forums, I am not alone in this situation. This article, and the accompanying spreadsheets, is the product of an extensive search for a method of weight loss that would work for me. I would like to share my results with the outdoor community.

I have tried many types of weight loss programs and diets, among them, Weight Watchers, Opti-Fast (a.k.a. The “Oprah” diet), high-carbohydrate, low-fat (The Rice Diet, Dr. Mirkin’s Low Fat Diet), hi-fat, low-carbohydrate (The Atkins Diet), skipping breakfast, skipping lunch, skipping dinner, skipping all meals (fasting), and on and on…

While all of these diets initially seem to work and may allow for a dramatic loss of weight (usually water weight), they are often quite difficult to stay on due to a variety of reasons. Among them, lack of variety, expense of certain “necessary” foods required by some diets, nutritional unbalance, boredom, and stress-induced eating “binges”. Many of these diets offer little, or no, training in modification of poor eating habits. Sometimes you feel like you are on a hamster wheel, getting nowhere fast, as the weight comes back!

I concluded that the best diet for my circumstances would incorporate familiar foods, be adaptable to different eating situations, and based on counting calories. I also wanted a method that would make me aware of appropriate portion size, and the percentage content of five basic food values: Calories, Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats and Sodium (Salt). This would be very useful in changing my eating habits.

That is why I started listing the nutritional values of my food choices in a separate spreadsheet (FoodList.xls). (Most of the values came directly off of the nutritional labels found on almost every food item sold today. If you want a comprehensive food listing, you can download the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 22. You can look up the nutrient content of 7,538 different foods {BTW, this is the “short” version } If you prefer a more compact listing, I recommend Corinne Netzer’s The Complete Book of Food Counts.)

The next question is determining how to achieve a specific weight loss goal and one source that put together all the required criteria for determining how many calories would be needed to maintain that goal weight was Jim Wood.

Jim, an avid backpacker and accomplished outdoorsman, is probably best known for his invention of a backpacking favorite…the Super Cat Stove. But his website and discussion forum jwbasecamp.com is a bonanza of useful backpacking information and projects. His article, "Backpacking and Weight Loss", lists several equations (which he refers to as “The Simple Math” ) which determine Basal Metabolism, Thermic Effect Metabolism and Activity-related metabolism. With his permission, I used his original material as a basis for the spreadsheets. I also added several other criteria that I wished to track: the percentage of carbohydrates, proteins and fats in my diet, and Body Mass Index (BMI), daily water required for a specific weight and the amount of time needed to meet a specific goal weight.

The spreadsheet(s) incorporate the formulas of the Harris-Benedict equations for determining daily basal calories for an adult male (or adult female), current BMI, calories/day/pound needed to maintain current weight, and your daily water requirement. (Since there are varying opinions as to how much water that you should drink, I picked a figure of ½ liquid ounce per pound of actual body weight per day. This is adjusted to 80 % of the calculated amount on the assumption that 20 % of your the will come from the metabolism of food consumed.)

Using the Spreadsheet(s)

Download the applicable spreadsheet, either the MaleAdultDietLog.xls or the FemaleAdultDietLog.xls. Also, download the Averageweights.xls, the ExpandedNutribase.xls, and the FoodList.xls. Open all of the spreadsheets.

Go to the Male (or Female) Diet Log spreadsheet and scroll down to the outlined box labeled “Enter Your Current Weight” and enter your weight. Continue entering your Height in inches, your Age and your Ideal Weight in the appropriate boxes. (Consult the Averageweight.xls chart to determine your ideal weight {This chart combines and averages three popular formulas [Devine, Robinson and Miller]}), or, just enter the target weight that you are trying to attain.

After you have entered this initial data, the spreadsheet will calculate:

• how many pounds you are over, or under, your goal weight,
    • your Basic Daily Basal Calories requirement,
    • your Daily Water Required, (in ounces, glasses and liters).
    • the Calories/Day/Pound requirement for weight maintenance,
    • and your Current Body Mass Index.

Enter your Desired Weekly Weight Loss, or Gain, goal, and after consulting the ExpandedNutribaseTable.xls enter a figure that approximates the number of calories that you will expend in exercise-related activity during the week. (I have taken the original Nutribase table and using the charting capabilities of the Excel spreadsheet program, I increased the weight ranges and highlighted several of the categories: Backpacking, Cross Country Skiing, Hiking, Running, and Walking.)

The spreadsheet will then generate the time, in weeks, that is will take to reach your desired weight, and the Daily & Weekly Goal Calories that you will be allowed to eat to attain your diet goals. (This figure is adjusted upward by 10% to allow for the thermic effect of metabolizing the food consumed.) (If you enter “0” as your weekly weight loss goal, meaning that you want to maintain your current weight, you will see a row of xxxxxxxxx’s appear in the “It will take” box of the table.)

Enter the number of Goal Grams of carbohydrates, protein and fat that you would like to eat daily. The spreadsheet will then calculate the percentage that the goal grams represent in your desired eating plan, and will also represent those percentages as calorie amounts of Carbs (Carbohydrates), Protein and Fat. The figure for Sodium intake is based on the recommended maximum of 2,500 mg/day, and is not adjustable by the user.

You are now ready to entering data into your Daily Food Log sections of the spreadsheet.

Scroll down to the Day 1 section of the Daily Food Log and enter the date and your weight. There is also a section for Diet Notes to record your observations, etc.

To record your Food Item(s), I have found it easiest to construct my own FoodList.xls. You can directly enter the food values or just highlight the food item that you are eating off of the food list and copy and paste it over to the diet log spreadsheet. You can then specify the number of portions consumed either as a whole number (1 being the default), or as a decimal (e.g.: 0.5, 0.334, 1.4, etc.), or as whole number fractions (1/2, ¾. 1 ½, etc.). You can then record When you ate the particular item, either as the time of day, or as a meal category. I use B for breakfast, L for lunch, S for supper and SN for snacks.

Feel free to modify the FoodList.xls as you see fit. This particular list reflects my food choices. Most of the values came directly off of the nutritional labels found on almost every food item sold today. The unprotect code for the FoodList.xls is: 12345 (Clever…eh?)

As the week progresses, your diet entries will appear in the Weekly Diet Progress Re-Cap section of the spreadsheet. Any quantities within the allowable diet goals will appear as a black value number. Any quantities over the allowable diet goals (e.g.: a weight gain) will appear as a (red) value.

At the end of the week, save the spreadsheet under a different name such as Week1.xls, Week2.xls, etc. You can print it out as the spreadsheet is formatted to print on 3 sheets of paper. You can start another blank spreadsheet for the next week of your diet.

In wish you much success in your quest to attain your ideal weight!

(BTW, I am 31 pounds lighter since I started this project! )

Why Backpackers Lose Weight

Take the example of a 180-pound man, 40 years old and 5’ 10” (70") tall. He is planning a weeklong hike of 7-hour days carrying a 35 pound pack. The spreadsheet calculates his daily basal calorie requirement at 1,831 calories. The ExpandedNutribase.xls chart gives a figure of approximately 446 calories/hour x 7 hours/day x 7 days for a total of 21,830 calories to be expended in exercise. To this figure add the basal calorie requirement of 1,831 calories x 7 days (21,830 + 12,817=34,647 total weekly calories. This equals a requirement of 4,950 calories per day and factoring in the 10% thermic effect, 4,950 x 1.1= 5,444 calories needed per day. Since the typical backpacker carries and consumes around 3,500 calories/day (according to many posts on the forums), we see that there will be a calorie deficit of 5,444 - 3,500 = 1,944 calories/day, or 7 x 1,944 = 13,608 calories for the week. This results in a weight loss of 13,608/3,500 = 3.89 pounds for the week. Multiply this through a 4, 5 or 6-month thru-hike and you can see why backpackers experience large weight losses.

Last edited by atraildreamer; 01-25-2010 at 15:39. Reason: Correcting a spreadsheet.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Question Anyone?...

Has anyone tried using the spreadsheets?

Comments would be appreciated.

It's working for me...now down 33 pounds!

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

I think every tool we can add to our 'tool belt' of weight loss it a plus!

I might add that www.calorieking.com is a free and very comprehensive website for food value calculations. You can find pretty much everything and anything you could think of listed there.

Thanks for the article!
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

Disregard.

has anyone tried lose it? they have a website.. loseit.com and an app on the ipod touch, iphone.. etc. ive been using it for a couple days now, not that i need to lose any weight but just to keep track of my weight and the calories i eat. it also keeps track of fat, sat. fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, fiber, sugars, and finally protein. Best of all, its free!
    "Teufel Hunden"

It all sounds good.My problem is even after a small two day hike,it seems i cant eat enough food,in turn offsetting what i burned on the two days.

I could be very wrong but I believe the number of calories you burn hiking is way overblown. Basically is you are walking down the street at a 3 MPH clip you basically burn 100 calories a mile or 150 calories every 30 minutes. According to the chart my burn rate goes up to 470 calories if I'm carrying a 30 lb pack. I find it hard to believe that burn rate triples.

Two years ago I did the 125 or so miles from Atkins, VA to Dennis Cove Rd in 5 days. I pretty much hiked from sunrise to an hour before sunset. If I actualy moved 12 hours a day I would have burned 11,280 calories a day. Doesn't sound right to me.

Here's something simpler: Standard 2,000 calorie a day diet consists of 300g of carbs and 65g of fat. Keep the calories at 2,000 or less, cut the carbs and fat in half and you'll lose weight.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    I could be very wrong but I believe the number of calories you burn hiking is way overblown. Basically is you are walking down the street at a 3 MPH clip you basically burn 100 calories a mile or 150 calories every 30 minutes. According to the chart my burn rate goes up to 470 calories if I'm carrying a 30 lb pack. I find it hard to believe that burn rate triples.

Two years ago I did the 125 or so miles from Atkins, VA to Dennis Cove Rd in 5 days. I pretty much hiked from sunrise to an hour before sunset. If I actualy moved 12 hours a day I would have burned 11,280 calories a day. Doesn't sound right to me.

Here's something simpler: Standard 2,000 calorie a day diet consists of 300g of carbs and 65g of fat. Keep the calories at 2,000 or less, cut the carbs and fat in half and you'll lose weight.
    I use to believe those estimates, but anymore now I'm also very skeptical. Although, I would agree that one's calorie burn is closer to those estimates and may actually exceed them when first getting started in hiking, but as time goes on the body changes, becoming much more proficient. ) I loosley base this on how fast I lost weight in the beginning of my thru-hike.

I'm of the opinion, based on what I've read, that calorie burn is highly varible amoungst individuals (which all written documentation admits to), but it's my sense that it's more varible than appreciated.

What is average? when it comes to this issue, I would be willing to wager that a person that reguarly hikes is well above average, thus making these formulas basically worthless.

There are also many factors these formulas don't take into account. So, to me this whole issue is fun to play with using various monitoring devices, but as for accuracy, I believe the only ones who really know are the elite athletes with all their fancy gizmos, this kind of gives you an idea of how complex the issue is: http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5700177...es-burned.html

All the various "caloires burned" calculators I've seen are just simple little toys. http://nutritiondata.self.com/tools/calories-burned

Quote Originally Posted by tenn_hiker View Post
    has anyone tried lose it? they have a website.. loseit.com and an app on the ipod touch, iphone.. etc. ive been using it for a couple days now, not that i need to lose any weight but just to keep track of my weight and the calories i eat. it also keeps track of fat, sat. fat, cholesterol, sodium, carbohydrates, fiber, sugars, and finally protein. Best of all, its free!
    I've been using it. Lost thirty pounds so far, not really trying, but it helps me realize when I've eaten enough for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    An Interactive Tool for Weight Control

Developed by: atraildreamer
    (© 2010 by E. F. Brown, Jr.)

Based on material initially published by:
    Jim Wood
    In his article:
    "Backpacking and Weight Loss"
    (April 14, 2005)

DISCLAIMER

This article and the accompanying spreadsheets and charts provided are AS IS, without any representations, express or implied.

I make no guarantees as to the success of any weight modification regimen you may embark upon while utilizing these spreadsheets and charts.

Nothing in this article or the accompanying spreadsheets and charts, constitute, or are meant to constitute medical advice of any kind.

If you are pregnant you should not use these spreadsheets.

If you require medical advice in relation to any health matter you should consult an appropriately qualified physician.

(Note: Blue underlined texts are hyperlinks to source material.)

We live in a modern society that provides us with a vast variety of abundant foods. Unfortunately, many of our food choices are not the best for achieving and maintaining optimal weight and health. Many foods are highly processed, high fat, high carbohydrate and loaded with salt, while appealing to our taste buds, do nothing but help us to get fatter.

I have been battling a weight problem most of my life, and judging from the posts found at Whiteblaze, and many other hiking and backpacking forums, I am not alone in this situation. This article, and the accompanying spreadsheets, is the product of an extensive search for a method of weight loss that would work for me. I would like to share my results with the outdoor community.

I have tried many types of weight loss programs and diets, among them, Weight Watchers, Opti-Fast (a.k.a. The “Oprah” diet), high-carbohydrate, low-fat (The Rice Diet, Dr. Mirkin’s Low Fat Diet), hi-fat, low-carbohydrate (The Atkins Diet), skipping breakfast, skipping lunch, skipping dinner, skipping all meals (fasting), and on and on…

While all of these diets initially seem to work and may allow for a dramatic loss of weight (usually water weight), they are often quite difficult to stay on due to a variety of reasons. Among them, lack of variety, expense of certain “necessary” foods required by some diets, nutritional unbalance, boredom, and stress-induced eating “binges”. Many of these diets offer little, or no, training in modification of poor eating habits. Sometimes you feel like you are on a hamster wheel, getting nowhere fast, as the weight comes back!

I concluded that the best diet for my circumstances would incorporate familiar foods, be adaptable to different eating situations, and based on counting calories. I also wanted a method that would make me aware of appropriate portion size, and the percentage content of five basic food values: Calories, Carbohydrates, Proteins, Fats and Sodium (Salt). This would be very useful in changing my eating habits.

That is why I started listing the nutritional values of my food choices in a separate spreadsheet (FoodList.xls). (Most of the values came directly off of the nutritional labels found on almost every food item sold today. If you want a comprehensive food listing, you can download the USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference Release 22. You can look up the nutrient content of 7,538 different foods {BTW, this is the “short” version } If you prefer a more compact listing, I recommend Corinne Netzer’s The Complete Book of Food Counts.)

The next question is determining how to achieve a specific weight loss goal and one source that put together all the required criteria for determining how many calories would be needed to maintain that goal weight was Jim Wood.

Jim, an avid backpacker and accomplished outdoorsman, is probably best known for his invention of a backpacking favorite…the Super Cat Stove. But his website and discussion forum jwbasecamp.com is a bonanza of useful backpacking information and projects. His article, "Backpacking and Weight Loss", lists several equations (which he refers to as “The Simple Math” ) which determine Basal Metabolism, Thermic Effect Metabolism and Activity-related metabolism. With his permission, I used his original material as a basis for the spreadsheets. I also added several other criteria that I wished to track: the percentage of carbohydrates, proteins and fats in my diet, and Body Mass Index (BMI), daily water required for a specific weight and the amount of time needed to meet a specific goal weight.

The spreadsheet(s) incorporate the formulas of the Harris-Benedict equations for determining daily basal calories for an adult male (or adult female), current BMI, calories/day/pound needed to maintain current weight, and your daily water requirement. (Since there are varying opinions as to how much water that you should drink, I picked a figure of ½ liquid ounce per pound of actual body weight per day. This is adjusted to 80 % of the calculated amount on the assumption that 20 % of your the will come from the metabolism of food consumed.)

Using the Spreadsheet(s)

Download the applicable spreadsheet, either the MaleAdultDietLog.xls or the FemaleAdultDietLog.xls. Also, download the Averageweights.xls, the ExpandedNutribase.xls, and the FoodList.xls. Open all of the spreadsheets.

Go to the Male (or Female) Diet Log spreadsheet and scroll down to the outlined box labeled “Enter Your Current Weight” and enter your weight. Continue entering your Height in inches, your Age and your Ideal Weight in the appropriate boxes. (Consult the Averageweight.xls chart to determine your ideal weight {This chart combines and averages three popular formulas [Devine, Robinson and Miller]}), or, just enter the target weight that you are trying to attain.

After you have entered this initial data, the spreadsheet will calculate:

• how many pounds you are over, or under, your goal weight,
    • your Basic Daily Basal Calories requirement,
    • your Daily Water Required, (in ounces, glasses and liters).
    • the Calories/Day/Pound requirement for weight maintenance,
    • and your Current Body Mass Index.

Enter your Desired Weekly Weight Loss, or Gain, goal, and after consulting the ExpandedNutribaseTable.xls enter a figure that approximates the number of calories that you will expend in exercise-related activity during the week. (I have taken the original Nutribase table and using the charting capabilities of the Excel spreadsheet program, I increased the weight ranges and highlighted several of the categories: Backpacking, Cross Country Skiing, Hiking, Running, and Walking.)

The spreadsheet will then generate the time, in weeks, that is will take to reach your desired weight, and the Daily & Weekly Goal Calories that you will be allowed to eat to attain your diet goals. (This figure is adjusted upward by 10% to allow for the thermic effect of metabolizing the food consumed.) (If you enter “0” as your weekly weight loss goal, meaning that you want to maintain your current weight, you will see a row of xxxxxxxxx’s appear in the “It will take” box of the table.)

Enter the number of Goal Grams of carbohydrates, protein and fat that you would like to eat daily. The spreadsheet will then calculate the percentage that the goal grams represent in your desired eating plan, and will also represent those percentages as calorie amounts of Carbs (Carbohydrates), Protein and Fat. The figure for Sodium intake is based on the recommended maximum of 2,500 mg/day, and is not adjustable by the user.

You are now ready to entering data into your Daily Food Log sections of the spreadsheet.

Scroll down to the Day 1 section of the Daily Food Log and enter the date and your weight. There is also a section for Diet Notes to record your observations, etc.

To record your Food Item(s), I have found it easiest to construct my own FoodList.xls. You can directly enter the food values or just highlight the food item that you are eating off of the food list and copy and paste it over to the diet log spreadsheet. You can then specify the number of portions consumed either as a whole number (1 being the default), or as a decimal (e.g.: 0.5, 0.334, 1.4, etc.), or as whole number fractions (1/2, ¾. 1 ½, etc.). You can then record When you ate the particular item, either as the time of day, or as a meal category. I use B for breakfast, L for lunch, S for supper and SN for snacks.

Feel free to modify the FoodList.xls as you see fit. This particular list reflects my food choices. Most of the values came directly off of the nutritional labels found on almost every food item sold today. The unprotect code for the FoodList.xls is: 12345 (Clever…eh?)

As the week progresses, your diet entries will appear in the Weekly Diet Progress Re-Cap section of the spreadsheet. Any quantities within the allowable diet goals will appear as a black value number. Any quantities over the allowable diet goals (e.g.: a weight gain) will appear as a (red) value.

At the end of the week, save the spreadsheet under a different name such as Week1.xls, Week2.xls, etc. You can print it out as the spreadsheet is formatted to print on 3 sheets of paper. You can start another blank spreadsheet for the next week of your diet.

In wish you much success in your quest to attain your ideal weight!

(BTW, I am 31 pounds lighter since I started this project! )

Why Backpackers Lose Weight

Take the example of a 180-pound man, 40 years old and 5’ 10” (70") tall. He is planning a weeklong hike of 7-hour days carrying a 35 pound pack. The spreadsheet calculates his daily basal calorie requirement at 1,831 calories. The ExpandedNutribase.xls chart gives a figure of approximately 446 calories/hour x 7 hours/day x 7 days for a total of 21,830 calories to be expended in exercise. To this figure add the basal calorie requirement of 1,831 calories x 7 days (21,830 + 12,817=34,647 total weekly calories. This equals a requirement of 4,950 calories per day and factoring in the 10% thermic effect, 4,950 x 1.1= 5,444 calories needed per day. Since the typical backpacker carries and consumes around 3,500 calories/day (according to many posts on the forums), we see that there will be a calorie deficit of 5,444 - 3,500 = 1,944 calories/day, or 7 x 1,944 = 13,608 calories for the week. This results in a weight loss of 13,608/3,500 = 3.89 pounds for the week. Multiply this through a 4, 5 or 6-month thru-hike and you can see why backpackers experience large weight losses.

Why not just use http://www.loseit.com? It seems to do basically the same thing and already has the food tables. When you sync it with your fitbit, it takes into account how much exercise you got and adjusts the calories for the day.
    Shutterbug

When I wrote the article, many of the apps for health and fitness, weight loss, etc., were not available. I based the article, after getting his permission, on some work that Jim Wood had published.

The main thing I learned from writing this article is to use whatever works for you. Every body responds differently to a weight-loss/fitness regimen. Don't worry worry about what the other guy is doing, and don't let them criticize your program, especially if it is successful for you. Just HYOH on the path to fitness!

Thank you! It's really works

Old Thread but there are no spreasheets anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by DC Indy View Post
    Old Thread but there are no spreasheets anymore?
    I haven't looked at this article in a while. I didn't realize that the spreadsheets links were gone. I will dig thru my archive and get back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by atraildreamer View Post
    I haven't looked at this article in a while. I didn't realize that the spreadsheets links were gone. I will dig thru my archive and get back to you.
    I have decided to re-write the article as there is a lot of new information that has been developed in the 10 years since I wrote the first article.

I will post it ASAP.

Journal Entries

I've found that these types of weight loss tools are overly complicated for a thru-hiker. The the thru-hiker will lose weight no matter what his/her food intake. The question is how to minimize the weight loss. Perhaps when one goes for an extended stay off trial one can perhaps use these tools (I've found it unnecessary, I just cut back on the consumption). The complications were just ways to make errors and gain weight. I weigh myself weekly and adjust my consumption accordingly and will go to daily weighing as necessary. I've don't exclude any type of food just limit intakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    I've found that these types of weight loss tools are overly complicated for a thru-hiker. The the thru-hiker will lose weight no matter what his/her food intake. The question is how to minimize the weight loss. Perhaps when one goes for an extended stay off trial one can perhaps use these tools (I've found it unnecessary, I just cut back on the consumption). The complications were just ways to make errors and gain weight. I weigh myself weekly and adjust my consumption accordingly and will go to daily weighing as necessary. I've don't exclude any type of food just limit intakes.
    After studying the problems of weight control, and choosing the best foods to reach, and maintain a desired weight, is is apparent that there is no one-size-fits-all diet method that can be used by everyone. For every expert that offers their plan to achieve a weight goal, there is always another expert that will refute them, recommending that you use their plan.

My conclusion is: If your diet lifestyle is working for you, then stick to it, and ignore all the well-intentioned, but often confusing, advice that comes from others that know you are trying to lose those extra pounds. In other words, FYOD (Follow your Own Diet).

I have to agree with you that the numerous web-based weight loss tools often complicate the process of choosing foods that are best suited to an individuals lifestyle. There is a lot of misleading, and contradictory, nutritional information available that is confusing people who are trying to achieve, and maintain, a healthy goal weight.

Since I am a bit of an Excel spreadsheet nerd, and like to play with the numbers, over the years, since I did the original article, I expanded the original spreadsheet into an elaborate spreadsheet that incorporates many nutritional values, and several nutritional databases from around the world, along with my own list of commonly available supermarket foods, and which is designed to give an accurate, daily accounting of what an individual eats.

As it now stands, the spreadsheet falls into the above-mentioned category of a complicated tool to use, I am in the process of simplifying and streamlining the spreadsheet, and accompanying nutritional databases, to make it easy to use.

My goal is to produce a diet tool that is downloadable to a PC, and that can be useful in weight control, and be helpful in constructing a food list menu for a hiker's outing, of any length.

As soon as I work it into an easily usable form, I will post it.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-30-2020 at 14:27.

++ New Posts ++