WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Is this a good plan

This is my plan for thru-hiking the Long Trail. I am going to be doing it around SCA this summer. Post comments if you think i should stop somewhere other then the spots i have listed.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by YoungMoose View Post
    This is my plan for thru-hiking the Long Trail. I am going to be doing it around SCA this summer. Post comments if you think i should stop somewhere other then the spots i have listed.
    Looks like a well-reasoned, conservative pace that will allow you to really enjoy the LT. Good on ya.

Once you're out there, you may well decide to speed up a bit, and your schedule will allow for that if you like.

Have fun.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

thats what i figured. I know its above the average time but i ahve 2 1/2 months off for summer so i can take even longer then that. But i dont want to.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

When you get to Jonesville, are you hitching to Richmond? or are you hitching the 3 miles of road-walk into Jonesville? Just an FYI, Jonesville has a Post Office... and nothing more. You can resupply there only by mail drop. A hitch into Richmond will get you to a grocery store.

Images

Im hitching the 3 miles to the post office. then im going to walk to the trail head on the other side of the river.

Overall looks good to me. Seems like reasonable mileage and will give you plenty of opportunities to enjoy the sites. Explore some of the side trails.

Suggestions based on my trip; other people will obviously disagree...

- Stop at Clarendon instead of Gov Clement. The shelter itself could use a little repair, but it had nice open grass and is maintained with flowers and everything. At least when I was there (Fall, 2008). Gov Clement seemed to me like a leaky basement (cold stone), but that could have also been since it was pouring as I passed through that section. Cooper Lodge had missing windows and the fog and clouds rolled right into the shelter all night. If it was clear, I am sure it would have had a really nice view.

- If the cost is not an issue, I recommend stopping at the Inn at the Long Trail on Rt 4 for a night. I believe you can have a package sent there and it is a great place to chill for awhile. That was my first day off the trail since starting and it felt so good to get a shower and just relax in the bar the rest of the day with some of the other AT Thruhikers and LT E2Eers that I had been hiking with.

- I am not sure what days Taylor and Taft lodge would fall on your trip. I hit that area on a weekend, and it was crowded. Tenting isn't allowed either, so everyone was in the shelter. At least they are large shelters.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Wow...pretty cool jaunt for your age. I was washing dishes at 15.

A month or so on the LT sounds much more fun.

Have a blast!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Couple things... Gov Clement, was over run by hard partying locals, supposedly that was taken care of by blocking an access rd. There is a place called the 'secret shelter' thats on prvt property right before it, check it out . Also I think Shooting Star has been torn down.
    Do yourself a favor and get the end-to-enders guide, map and trail guide from the GMC.
    I'm going to do it myself this summer, pretty much at your pace (I'm 57). Don't go before July, unless you like blackflys.
    One more thing. If moneys not a problem, spend the $5 and stay at Skyline Lodge. It's a really cool cabin, with a great view and an unbelievable sunrise!
    I hope I see you on the trail
    -Broken Knee

Images

IM going to be getting the guide in about a week. I am going to be near a REI and i have a giftcard for there. So i will wait and when i get htat i will probably redoing. things.

Images

I'd wouldn't even try to do this without a pair of TNF Meridian Pants..... Better pick some up at REI.....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I'd wouldn't even try to do this without a pair of TNF Meridian Pants..... Better pick some up at REI.....
    What color are they i wonder?

Images

Not sure, but I think they had a 32" inseam....
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    When you get to Jonesville, are you hitching to Richmond? or are you hitching the 3 miles of road-walk into Jonesville? Just an FYI, Jonesville has a Post Office... and nothing more. You can resupply there only by mail drop. A hitch into Richmond will get you to a grocery store.
    This is a good question. . . sending a maildrop to Jonesville is a good idea but I have to say Richmond is about the nicest little town I've seen and doesn't get much mention, very pretty, extremely friendly people. . . quite a few folks offering to let us stay at their place for the night, a really good restaurant and a nice store for re-supply if you don't want to bother with the Jonesville P.O.
    Also about the easiest hitch I've ever seen. . . .
    Have a great hike Young Moose. . . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    This is a good question. . . sending a maildrop to Jonesville is a good idea but I have to say Richmond is about the nicest little town I've seen and doesn't get much mention, very pretty, extremely friendly people. . . quite a few folks offering to let us stay at their place for the night, a really good restaurant and a nice store for re-supply if you don't want to bother with the Jonesville P.O.
    Also about the easiest hitch I've ever seen. . . .
    Have a great hike Young Moose. . . .
    Oh Great warrghhhryryhhyageewyuey, Take the high road on this thread......

I'll put in another vote for a night at the Inn at Long Trail. Hot shower, clean sheets, friendly folks. I tend to like the stop for reasons that are not readily accessible to you, but the food's good too.

Just make sure you don't go straight north in 2013. You'll want to take a right turn out of there then.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

Hey, Youngmoose, that looks like a great hike. You have a longer period of time to hike then me so your pace is a bit slower but then again I guess you'll be able to enjoy it for longer. But I like where you have some of your resupply's. I may have to add some in to try and lighten my load inbetween resupply's. I plan on hitching into Jonesville as my first nothern resupply spot. I dont want to rely on the P.O. being open, as well as Ive heard all these nothern VT towns are really cool to go visit. I would also suggest stopping at the LT Inn, ive heard its a great place to stop for a night. Also once you get the E2E Thru Hikers manuel and the LT guide book, it has soome good suggestions on places stops. I would also suggest the water prof map. Ive included my schudgle as well (if you wana compare but I am going SOBO so the times may be off), when do you plan on leaving, im heading out to the trail in june. Mabey we will cross paths. Happy hikeing,
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

I am going to put the long trail in at my stops. Also i would rather carry more stuff then having to get off the trail and hitch into town. So i dont really mind the extra weight. I was going to try to stay at skyline but it doesnt really work out right. So i am almost posotive that staying there is out of the question. Thanks for letting me know about shooting star.

Youngmoose what time of year you going?
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Youngmoose what time of year you going?
    Well i get out of school on june 27th so i will probably go the 30th or july first. I still dont know when i go to SCA. I will learn around march. I am hoping that it would be in august so i can do it straight through. But if not i will do as much as i can before SCA then when i get back i finish where i left off.

Very Nice, Im planning a June 25-28 leave date, SOBO, hopefully we will cross paths, happy hikeing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++