WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pinhoti Tail (already did 2 different sections this spring)
    Odum Scout Trail
    Chinnabee Silent Trail
    Skyway Loop Trail

This summer and fall - multiple trails in the Sipsey Wilderness and Nantahala N.F.
    If you come to a fork in the road...take it - Yogi Berra

AT Maryland and part of PA

Question

New Dilemma in my 'between now and then'. I currently have a steady job that will, provided I work for them for at least a full year after I return, give me the time to thru. This is fantastic, however.... I am growing increasingly interested in leaving this job NOW, especially with the potential of a fantastic job on the horizon. If I were to get and take the fantastic job, I wouldn't be able to thru for quite a while (probably). So here is the dilemma- job that I am not so fond of for another 2 years to be able to try a thru in 2011, or a job that I would probably actually like and put the trail on the back burner?

At 42 the best advice I can offer you is to follow what makes sense to you in heart AND in pocketbook. My first thru attempt was at age 18. I haven't made another attempt since but will next year. I'll turn 43 next year shortly after starting. Sometimes you have to put off the fun to do the right thing, other times it makes sense to do something else. It isn't an easy decision, but in the end, the heart and pocket book is usually what it comes down to. No matter what, the trail will always be there.

Hoan my gear, study up "again", Food purchases. I live between Alaska and Michigan so this summer I will spend a month back and forth to my homestead, do some crazy hill hiking south of Anchorage, back to Michigan, hike up north a couple 3-4 dayers, down south Hocking hills area in Ohio, maybe a section of the AT in Tennessee if I can, and then work my ass off and Save. I like the tread mill hill simulation though. Lookin forward to meetin all you 2011'rs. Stay Well.

Images

Default Previous Attempts Count for Something

Working on convincing Dovetail that we need to start at Springer and go north even though we have already done the trail from Springer to NOC where we had to stop when she got hurt. She doesn't see a need to repeat miles already done.

My position has nothing to do with being a purest thruhiker. My thoughts are that Georgia preps you for NC and so on up the trail. Besides, it is good to know what the day has in store for you and you can not make the same traveling mistakes as before like going from Deep Gap all the way to Tray Mountain. Experience is .....
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

Working on the trail for another season this summer and hiking the long trail in Sept.
    -milkman

got soul?

Images

Massanutten Mountain (east and west) trail, and continue doing my section hikes with my mom I

I'll do inverted sit-ups in an old barn, squat an old horse cart loaded with rocks and an over-weight brother in-law, split firewood all day long in the snow, out run a car full of KGB, and sprint up the side of a nondescript snowy mountain and wave my arms at the peak.

I'll also continue to appropriate gear, walk and hike, lose 5 pounds, maybe gain 5 pounds, prepare for a 5 month absence, and count the weeks until March 2011.

Images

Sectioning WV and MD in September and GA in October. Very cool because I can make my reservation at the Hiker Hostel in person for next April!

Images

I planning on hiking the Hayduke trail in Utah this fall, but for now I'm stuck hiking in mosquito and alligator infested swamps. Might take a trip up to Northern GA or NC and do some shorts hikes. I would like to find a secluded section of the Smokies to hike.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RollingStone View Post
    Only time I wear boots is in the winter snowshoeing. A good non gore-tex pair of trail runners are so much better, especially when you run into wet trail. I would highly recommend you investigate them.

In addition, if you decide on trail runners, I suggest Simblissity Leva Gaiters - (www.simblissity.net) They are SUL Scree gaiters that keep the crap out of your shoes. I've been using the same pair now for two years. Best 27 bucks I have ever spent. Check out their website.
    Thanks for the link. I have never seen that model before - I plan to order some ASAP!

As far as what Im doing between then and now.. Continue working to save money, home in on gear and lightweight alternatives, continue at IU (and possibly graduate), continue bike riding and swimming, and best of all, Plan the books I will be taking with me (probably my best luxury item)

Oh, and a few thru hikes of INdiana's longest hiking trail, the Knobstone trail. 3-4 excursions should be enough to fine tune my gear..

I'm eying the Trans-Catalina Trail for sometime this Fall.

I'd never even heard of hiking the length of Catalina until a few days ago, apparently the trail only opened last year. But it's local, just a ferry ride away, and about as remote as you can get in So Cal.

Other than that, mostly just day-hikes, though I'll get another few overnights in sometime.

Images

I going to do the Grafton Loop Trail here in Maine (38 miles) as soon as the heat and deerfly seige here ends. I hope to have some other section hikes before the end of the year.

Then I want to be on the AT in mid March 2011. I hope to see you all on the trail next year.

Images

Finish up my undergraduate degree, and spend a lot of time on the trail between Damascus and Scales.

Images

Seven and a half more months...ughh.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
    Seven and a half more months...ughh.
    I know! Im getting quite impatient! I originally thought i was going to start the first week of April but i have it moved to the first week of March now lol

In the mean time... I am doing my usual PA hiking trails on a regular basis. At the beginning of August I am going to CA for vacation and will spend a few days/nights at Yosemite. At the end of August I want to do the Quehanna Trail (75-mile loop) before my daughter is back in school. That will give me a perfect opportunity to play with my new gear

Quote Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
    from now until March 2011 im basically stuck here (illinois) saving money...i live about 2 hours away from starved rock...anyone know of or have any recommendations of how i can train in such a flat state? sorry if this is a thread hijack don't mean too.

I'm in the same boat as you man but I should be fine financially. When you planning on leaving ? I live in gurnee so training is goona be tough

Images

i plan to sobo thru hike october 2010 thru march 2011, then begin my nobo thru in march. thats one way to get your 2011 trail legs!
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Images

when u start a thru in 2010, but complete it in 2011, is that class of 2010 or 2011.. i figure the latter which sucks as you can only really claim class of 2011 once even if i complete two thru hikes in that time period
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++