WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Old Man Hiking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DGG View Post
    Be sure to read the PCT and CDT journals (on trailjournals.com) of Mr.D, Chuck Daniels. Unfortunately, he didn't post his AT journal, but you'll learn a lot from the others. (I have, for sure.) Chuck writes a great, informative journal -- lots of information for people in our age cohort. He completed the Triple Crown with the CDT at age 70. Here's a link: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=8691

Good luck! And do post a journal, won't you? Better yet, ask your wife to do it for you. That will get her really involved in your trip.
    I second that, definitely read Mr. D's PCT journal.

Smile OLd man hiking

doctortom, I just joined today and want to entertain your post. I'm 77 years old and will do section hiking from Springer to Gatlinburg or further. I, just like you feel very energetic and exciting on this hike that I will be taking. At present I hike about 10 miles four times a week and will be increasing my hiking to 6 days per week. My doctors checked me out and they all encourage me. Now the wife issue. She wants to tag-a-long. Thus her trail name. She is 72 years old. She has been my walking companion since April,2009. I guess I been kind of blessed. Good luck

You could take her along. I am planning a trip of when I retire in about 10 years and our plan is me hike, she drive the RV and meet me almost every day at days end. There is a few sections that are too long and we will be apart one or two nights on a few occations, but I will hike the AT (my dream) and she will poke around the gift shops of small towns and photograph quant little bridges adn farm houses (some thing she loves to do, bleh!)
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I'm 63 and still hike and backpack despite a stroke a few years ago. Sure I go slow (gotta watch my footing!) but I go.

Craziest thing I saw was climbing the White Arrow Trail on Mt. Monadnock about 7 years ago. An 80+ year old man and wife were almost at the summit. He was wearing a 3-piece suit and dress shoes! Neither of them looked particularly winded and both were in great spirits. So, we're youngsters!

Best of success to you on the AT!

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

Doc Tom,
    Another old tom here.

I was about your age when I finally got around to hiking. Having been active all my life and a vet of 5 marathons, I thought the physicalness would be no sweat. I had quit running some years earlier, due to a stiffening back, but still walked and bicycled regularly

I found the climbing to be very hard. Even going as slow as possible on the climbs had me way past my aerobic limits.

Once I accepted the fact that I was slow, it became enjoyable again. I find by rarely stopping, I wind up with the same folks at the next shelter anyway (That's where my trail name "Grinder" comes from)

The last two trips I prepared by practicing with my pack on for a month or so. I live in Florida, so climbing is pretty much out. I used to go to the high school stadium, but those are locked up tighter than a drum these days.

I find that I start to pick up strength after two or three days on the trail.

Just take your time at the start and hike your own hike.
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Doctortom
    I find this discussion very encouraging since I may have to wait until I retire at age 63 to attempt a thru-hike. I found a story on the net of a man who completed the AT at the age of 66 who had underwent heart surgery a year earlier. This is the link to the news story. Hardy man hikes Appalachian Trail a year after open-heart surgery | Lynchburg
    Another older man, Earl Shaffer, who was credited to be the first person to thru-hike the AT, completed his third thru-hike at the age of 79. I am planning to section hike over the next few years and want to do two weeks in 2011. Keep us posted on your attempt and maybe some of us older hikers can join up on trail for a few days.

As one of the older people on this site, I second the part about taking it slowly, but trying not to stop walking. I often find Boy Scouts and their leaders annoying but I heard one at a shelter advising someone to slow down as much as necessary but to try to keep moving forward no matter how tired or winded you get, and that seems right to me as a section hiker who is not always in hard-core hiking condition.

Default Old man

I hiked over 600 mi in 2002, at age 73. I got used to the younger people passing me by; sometimes I would see them later on up the trail, and sometimes they just kept going north and I never saw them again. Although I ran into health complications and didn't go the full route, I appreciated the buildup of physical stamina, and the muscle development that I experienced. The best of good luck!

Images

If you can afford it, have your wife meet you at towns along the trail as often as she can. She may find it fun to go to meet you at some of these places.

Panzer

perhaps we will have the oppertunity to meet in 2011. i am in a similar situation minus 40 years haha.my gf is very supportive,we live together and i too feel the brunt of stress when it comes to leaving her behind for 5 months.
    ontop of it,one of her brothers hiked the trail in 2002 with his fiance,along the way she cheated on him with another hiker..so,she is fearful of that.

i think that keeping her involved in your planning as well as maildrops will reassure her of your goals as well as your committment to her.

keep your head high,goodluck and hope to see you on the trail in 2011.

Default old man hiking

I am 66 and will celebrate my 67th birthday on the trail...if this snow ever melts. My wife is not happy about it. As she says, "He didn't ask permission". What has helped in preparing is to have her watch some of the AT DVD's. She says it has helped her know that it is safe (reasonably) out there and she will know what it is somewhat like in different parts as I hike them. The DVD that has helped the most is "Appalachian Impressions, Hiking the AT" by Flagler films. I think I got it from the AT store. My 4 kids are very supportive of me going. That helps too. Bigfoot

Hey Alpiam, I would like to get that DVD. Can you send me the link to the At store.

A very interesting interview was done for several years ago with a couple who started hiking after retirement, they ended up doing several long trails (AT, PCT , ADT) Heres a link

http://www.trailcast.org/programs/date/2006/03/

Default Old Man Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Welcome to WB! The AT is tough on mature knees. Cho-pat knee braces and hiking poles helped us. Get her a map to track your progress and call often. If she collects anything, try to get her something from each state. Make arrangements before your hike for gifts on special days like birthday or anniversary. Timing can make it difficult to coordinate that when you're in the woods. Make arrangements for her to meet you in some locations she might enjoy so you both can share a couple of days off. Enjoy your hike!
    Many Walks I have a question; does the Cho-Pat Double Action Knee Brace really work? I have no experience with this knee brace. At 71 years of age, my right knee causes me some problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctortom View Post
    I am begining to start to plan my 2011 thru hike. My wife of 42 years is supportive of this trip, but many friends think I am crazy. The question I have is, what are the major issues facing a 64 year old on the trail? I am in realitively good shape, do a lot of days hike, and do 3-5 week long hikes each year. What can I expect?

Also, when one leaves a spouse at home, what have some of you done to limit the the stress and let them know that they are not forgotten? How do I keep her from getting resentful.?
    This has been a dream of mine for 30 years and she supports it, but I feel bad leaving her with all the work to do.

Any hints would be helpful.

I know I will be back for more info on what to expect and how to prepare.
    I haven't thru-hiked but as far as your age being an issue, it really is only a number. If you are fit and healthy, and you take your time, especially at the start, then I think you can be successful. The key is realizing you simply won't be able to recouperate and recover as fast as say someone in their 20's, obviously, but by realizing, understanding and accepting this you will be doing what is necessary for success, and you will be doing what you can to avoid burnout and injury. Also if you feel you may have some type of health concerns or issues it would be wise to have a health checkup before your trip, but as far as your age, don't let it interfere with enjoying yourself. Good Luck

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++